Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    256

    CC and CX Loops out of Wilderness Rim Neighborhood in North Bend?

    Hi,
    Moved up from SoCal in back in June, been renting in Kirkland, but just bought a place in North Bend. We're going to be in the Wilderness Rim neighborhood next to Rattlesnake Lake/Ledge.

    I've been up there several times scouting around in the truck/on foot and am looking for good CC and CX loops out of the driveway. I'm a little bummed because I see the watershed authority has a lot of the open space that I thought was going to be my backyard playground locked down (understandably so).

    I'm wondering if any locals have good loops that use the Iron Horse trail to get to singletrack off of Hansen Ridge.

    I also see there's a graded trail called the Snoqualmie Valley Regional Trail. Any loops that use this as a connector between singletrack?

    Also wondering if there are any fire road/singletrack combos on Rattlesnake Ridge.

    I like to ride out of my driveway and do loops on both my mtb. and my CX bike. I've lost a lot of fitness since I've moved here (new job and adjusting to apartment living), but I typically like to do 20 to 30 miles with around 2 to 3k in climbing. Obviously I prefer as much dirt and as little pavement as possible.

    I'm looking forward to ferreting out loops on my own, but any tips would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    I should be out riding
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    958
    There's not nearly as much up there as there should be. The watershed really puts a damper on connections.

    The only loop I know of to connect the Iron Horse trail to Hansen ridge is to ride up there IHT to where the gravel road from exit 38 crosses. Take the gravel from that point, and it eventually gets to the Harris lake end of Hansen ridge. I did that once last summer, wouldn't recommend it. There is some singletrack in the boxley natural area that gets some use, accessed off of the SVT.

    The Snoqualmie Valley Trail connects from where you're at back to Duvall. Using this and other trail systems you can put together some pretty big loops. If you take it down valley toward Fall City you can access the Tokul areas and get some other loops in.

    Lastly, check out Attachmate - Snoqualmie Valley Velo Club (Snoqualmie, WA) - Meetup for local rides.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    144

    CC and CX Loops out of Wilderness Rim Neighborhood in North Bend?

    You can always make a nice loop with your cross bike at Exit 27

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9JfN1QgSek

    Welcome to the neighborhood!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    There's not nearly as much up there as there should be. The watershed really puts a damper on connections.

    The only loop I know of to connect the Iron Horse trail to Hansen ridge is to ride up there IHT to where the gravel road from exit 38 crosses. Take the gravel from that point, and it eventually gets to the Harris lake end of Hansen ridge. I did that once last summer, wouldn't recommend it. There is some singletrack in the boxley natural area that gets some use, accessed off of the SVT.

    The Snoqualmie Valley Trail connects from where you're at back to Duvall. Using this and other trail systems you can put together some pretty big loops. If you take it down valley toward Fall City you can access the Tokul areas and get some other loops in.

    Lastly, check out Attachmate - Snoqualmie Valley Velo Club (Snoqualmie, WA) - Meetup for local rides.
    Thanks for the reply. That's more or less what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just plan to do a lot of graded gravel/fire road rides on my CX out of the driveway and save the mtb. rides for the weekends. I work in Bellevue so I can always bring my mtb. to work and do the stuff off the 90 on my way home once it starts staying light later. I could always ride Tokul after work and just come home through Fall City/Snoqualmie Falls.

    I was holding out hope there was some old school nasty singletrack up on Rattlesnake or on some unincorporated county land in North Bend. My favorite spot I've ridden since I've moved here is Paradise Valley. I love slow, roots, mud, singletrack. I want to find a 10 mile version of Red Alder.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsteele View Post
    You can always make a nice loop with your cross bike at Exit 27

    North Bend downhill run - YouTube

    Welcome to the neighborhood!
    Nice. That takes commitment right there. Are there any singletrack trails at Exit 27 or is it all flow/jump lines?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    There is some singletrack in the boxley natural area that gets some use, accessed off of the SVT.
    Just read your reply again and missed this. Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it for sure.

  7. #7
    I5Troll
    Reputation: mwestra2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,140
    Quick update on future potential...

    Starting at Rattlesnake Lake and heading east:

    Olallie State Park Trail has been funded. Info here: https://secure.rco.wa.gov/prism/sear...Number=12-1248. Will have to get a status update and report back. That will be a combo of new singletrack and road-to-trail conversion starting on the IHT just east of Cedar Butte. Goal is to eventually connect up to USFS land near Change Creek.

    S Fork Snoqualmie is permitted and now being funded in pieces. More info here: Trail:South Fork Snoqualmie - Evergreen Trail Guide. Mostly road-to-trail conversion with some new singletrack. Goal is to connect exit 47 (Hansen Ridge) to Olallie. Unfortunately it started on the east end and is working its way west - so there will be logging road connections for a loooong time.

    Between Rattlesnake Lake and Exit 31 = challenging due to Scenic Area and usual political "challenges."

    Heading west from Rattlesnake Lake:

    Evergreen is actively engaged with DNR on the Snoqualmie Corridor Recreation Plan and working hard for new singletrack from N Bend (exit 31) --> to exit 27 --> through the Raging River State Forest -> to Tiger Mt. Info here: Snoqualmie Corridor Recreation Plan

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    341
    To help interpret what Mwestra posted, have a little patience. In another year or five, you should be smack dab in the middle of mtbing heaven. Also, don't forget the CCC trail and the Middle Fork Snoq river. Plus there are tons of forest roads and perhaps a trail or two on Hancock property up the North Fork Snoq.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    144

    CC and CX Loops out of Wilderness Rim Neighborhood in North Bend?

    Definitely ride the Middle Fork Snoqualmie trail this summer. Really beautiful, long XC singletrack!

  10. #10
    EMBA Member
    Reputation: Ladmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsteele View Post
    You can always make a nice loop with your cross bike at Exit 27

    North Bend downhill run - YouTube

    Welcome to the neighborhood!
    That is some awesome riding. That spot at 1:40 where the trailing rider needs the lead to drop in cause there's nowhere to go otherwise is puckertime. I want to leave work right now and go ride.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    Quick update on future potential...

    Starting at Rattlesnake Lake and heading east:

    Olallie State Park Trail has been funded. Info here: https://secure.rco.wa.gov/prism/sear...Number=12-1248. Will have to get a status update and report back. That will be a combo of new singletrack and road-to-trail conversion starting on the IHT just east of Cedar Butte. Goal is to eventually connect up to USFS land near Change Creek.

    S Fork Snoqualmie is permitted and now being funded in pieces. More info here: Trail:South Fork Snoqualmie - Evergreen Trail Guide. Mostly road-to-trail conversion with some new singletrack. Goal is to connect exit 47 (Hansen Ridge) to Olallie. Unfortunately it started on the east end and is working its way west - so there will be logging road connections for a loooong time.

    Between Rattlesnake Lake and Exit 31 = challenging due to Scenic Area and usual political "challenges."

    Heading west from Rattlesnake Lake:

    Evergreen is actively engaged with DNR on the Snoqualmie Corridor Recreation Plan and working hard for new singletrack from N Bend (exit 31) --> to exit 27 --> through the Raging River State Forest -> to Tiger Mt. Info here: Snoqualmie Corridor Recreation Plan
    Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by slop View Post
    To help interpret what Mwestra posted, have a little patience. In another year or five, you should be smack dab in the middle of mtbing heaven. Also, don't forget the CCC trail and the Middle Fork Snoq river. Plus there are tons of forest roads and perhaps a trail or two on Hancock property up the North Fork Snoq.
    That's great to hear. We are looking forward to getting up there. We went up there on Saturday and just sat in the driveway. I'm practically ready to move the family out of the apartment and into our cars for the final three weeks just to get out of Kirkland. We've felt like our life has been on pause since moving here. Knowing that we're going to get a good quality of life and I'm going to get some good loops is encouraging.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    256
    We've been up here for just under a month. Really loving North Bend. I've started ferreting out loops from the driveway on my CX. I've been doing different combos of the Iron Horse Trail, Sno. Valley Trail, and quiet roads. With that in mind, can anybody recommend a good CX tire for the local conditions? I ride a Redline Conquest Pro and run tubes. I don't race and use the bike on a variety of mixed surface. Whatever I buy I still want it to be quick with low rolling resistance. Any CX tire suggestions would be appreciated.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    226
    We don't have fire roads in western Washington. We have logging and mining roads. I wish we could go into the Seattle public utility water shed. I am on the operating board for SPU and cannot enter with out an escort...

  15. #15
    I should be out riding
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    958

    CC and CX Loops out of Wilderness Rim Neighborhood in North Bend?

    I agree, the watershed being locked up is retarded. So much potential...

    Re tires, I used Michelin mud 2's last year. They're ok. Rolled reasonably fast. I also had a specialized captain for a bit, which was better for single track than the michelins. I would consider something like a clement las in back and something more aggressive in front.

Similar Threads

  1. North Bend Trails conditions?
    By Katie785 in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2013, 05:49 PM
  2. North Fork - Bend
    By willem3 in forum Oregon
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-26-2012, 04:55 PM
  3. Trails near North Bend/Coosbay/Bandon?
    By cgjeff in forum Oregon
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2012, 06:59 AM
  4. Big ride loops near Bend
    By pbasinger in forum Oregon
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-26-2011, 08:26 AM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-17-2011, 05:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •