Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Cat Herder

Casing troubles with Conti Trail Kings?

I bought a pair of 2.4 TKs last summer. Within a month the casings had failed, and while they were replaced under warranty, I wonder how many others have had the same problems. I thought the issue might have been limited to the 2.4s (Conti sent me 2.2s as replacements, stating the 2.4s were not available which I took to mean as "we have a known issue") but I found that one of my 2.2s failed mid ride yesterday. Bummer.
    I am going to ask for a Mountain King as a replacement, as much as I like the way the Trail Kings perform, but now I feel pretty skeptical about the brand.

Edit: Setup: I am running the tires tubeless with Stan's, mounted to CrossMax SXs. I use an air compressor, not C02, to fill them.
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

mtbr member
    I used a 2.2 Mountain King for a while last summer. One time, I got a pinchflat and one of the guys asked me if it was a girls cyclecross tire because it looked wimpy. He was right; the tire didn't last. The sidewalls are too thin for anything but girls cyclocross.
    Continental Mountain King Tire Reviews - Mtbr.com

EMBA Member
    Oct 2006
    I've been running Conti Trail Kings 2.2 tubeless for two years and haven't had any issues. I do know that you have to have the Protection version, otherwise they don't hold up as well).
    (and no one's made fun of my small tires, maybe it's because I have big feet and hands.)

mtbr member
    Trail kings are some of my favorite tires and long lasting. Had two sets that lasted well over a season and a half..... Bummer to hear some quality issues now.

mtbr member
    I've seen a few Trail Kings that blew a big bubble in the sidewall. Both times we thought the rim had bent, which is what it appeared to be when spinning the wheel. Both times it was the casing blowing out though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I had a set of X-kings 2.2 I tried to use tubeless. Absolutely worthless. Drove me up the wall. Hard to seat the bead and even harder to get a seal. The walls just purged air from new till I threw them out.

Cat Herder
    I have a 2.2 Mountain King II en route courtesy of my LBS. I hope I get better results from it. An industry person told me that some of the Contis are mnfr'd in Asia, and that might be the cause of the quality issue. I'm not sure though. The way I read it, the Conti site indicated that the Trail Kings were made in Germany.
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

Cat Herder
    What rims/wheels were you running? I found that the Contis were more difficult to mount on the alloy Havens is was running for a while. Ultimately I switched back to Mavic wheels, and the mounting process was pretty easy. I still needed to use a compressor to seat them, which hasn't always been the case: my WTB Weir Wolf IIs mounted up on CrossMax STs with a hand pump, for instance.
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

mtbr member
    I quit using them. Too many problems.
    - Be Someone

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Bummer, I just bought a set of TK's. Have yet to mount them up, won't have that bike built up for a couple months. Hopefully they don't suffer the same fate as others have posted.

EMBA Member
    Oct 2006
    Has there ever been ANY tire that someone didn't have an issue with? If so I want to hear it and see proof. Where's Shiggy?, he did all sorts of tire reviews.

mtbr member
    This tire is awesome especially considering the price:
    Forté Pisgah 26x2.3 Folding Mountain Tire - Mountain Bike Tires
    Solid sidewalls and good traction. Works well with Stans too. Alternatively you can go with the Hans Dampf - just buy the $70 model not the $40 one.

Cat Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by kasperilio View Post
    Has there ever been ANY tire that someone didn't have an issue with? If so I want to hear it and see proof. Where's Shiggy?, he did all sorts of tire reviews.
    No, probably not. But I've never had a casing issue like this ever before. It's definitely the most noteworthy problem I've encountered in a while as two other guys in my riding circle have now experienced problems with Contis. It's not a "oh I heard that those are bad" kinda thing.
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

Cat Herder
    Looks decent, though I need a tubeless bead.
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by syngltrkmnd View Post
    I have a 2.2 Mountain King II en route courtesy of my LBS. I hope I get better results from it. An industry person told me that some of the Contis are mnfr'd in Asia, and that might be the cause of the quality issue. I'm not sure though. The way I read it, the Conti site indicated that the Trail Kings were made in Germany.
    Some Conti tires are made in Asia. Usually India or Taiwan. This will be molded into the tire. The Taiwan tires are made by Maxxis. The German made tires all have a large "Handmade in Germany" hot stamp on the sidewall.

If you are running standard versions without inner tubes the failures are not quality issues. You are using them in a manner they were not designed for.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Keep on Rockin...
    I've used 3 Conti tires in the past 2 years.

2 of them X-Kings, protection version, listed as sealant comapatible. A 2.2 and a 2.4".

Wicked fast and I really dig the feel of the 2.4 on fast rides on my TB LTc.

But, getting them to hold air has been a real problem. So much so I'm ready to give them away to someone else free. They've been a real major hassle.

Probably the easiest, cheapest, best riding tubeless tires I've found have been Specialized tires. Setting these tires up on pretty much any rim was a no-brainer. Not finicky at all. Sealed up well right off the bat and hold air like a champ. The big problem was the weak casings/sidewalls and thus long term durability. The new Grids are out and hopefully will address the sidewall issue. If it does I'll probably quit fishing around for different tires for a while. Th GC and Purgatory, in 2.3" are really nice all-round tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have my 2.4'' trail king's for about two years with zero problems, not a trace of damage on the casing and I have check them since I start to read the reports, I guess I got lucky, awesome tires by the way..

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Funny enough I just attempted to mount a pair last night on my flow ex rims. One wouldn't seal up at all tubeless. I finally gave up and put a tube in. The other sealed up easy but had this issue:

Click the pic to watch the video. I've contacted continental, but this is ridiculous for a $70 tire....

Cat Herder
    Did you use a compressor to seat the bead?
    This is what my tires looked like after they failed. They did not wobble after being mounted - just after riding aggressively, and the casing failed inside.
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yep compressor. Don't like using it because I won't have one of those on the trail if I have an issue but I didn't have a choice...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    During 2013 Seen plenty of conti with a wobbly tread lay. Always in 2.4, bead seated, rim straight and with a tube. The tire is defective. German black chili protection not Taiwan tires. In 2012 I never came across this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by syngltrkmnd View Post
    I believe the Black Chili compound ones are made in Germany, the others elsewhere.

I rode a set of 2.2 Trail Kings the last half of last season with no issues but not tubeless (I can't stand messing with the bloody sealant).

mtbr member
    I rode 2.4 TK'S without incident for quite a while. However after a particularly aggressive turn into a berm the outer casing separated from the inner. I was running tubeless. After that I moved the 2.4 TK from the front to the back and put a different tire on the front. No problems since then.

On the whole I am very pleased with their quality and performance.

As far as seating the bead when going tubeless just use a compressor for that sudden burst of air. Once seated the TKs tended to stay seated. Even for adding sealant I was able to crack the bead slightly then re-air with a floor pump. Just that initial seating that is tough, though I had the same problem with a Hansen Dampf 2.35.
    Gotta love that government cheese...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by HighFivenWhiteGuy View Post
    I rode 2.4 TK'S without incident for quite a while. However after a particularly aggressive turn into a berm the outer casing separated from the inner. I was running tubeless. After that I moved the 2.4 TK from the front to the back and put a different tire on the front. No problems since then.

On the whole I am very pleased with their quality and performance.

As far as seating the bead when going tubeless just use a compressor for that sudden burst of air. Once seated the TKs tended to stay seated. Even for adding sealant I was able to crack the bead slightly then re-air with a floor pump. Just that initial seating that is tough, though I had the same problem with a Hansen Dampf 2.35.
    The TK 2.4 Tubeless is awesome. Tough, grippy, seats and seals easily with a floor pump on UST compatible rims. No sealant needed.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    ha! and i thought it was just me... I had this same problem about 2 years ago on my TK 2.4 running ghetto tubeless (stans rim tape, no rimstrip, plus stans on non tubeless rim). came into a turn hot and rolled bead off the rim, tire wobbled like that from that point on. tried all sorts of things, first a tube, then removed, re-seated as tubeless, with compressor, it would rub against the arch or chainstay (depending on where I mounted it). LBS tried to straighten it out with a tool they had. no luck.

i figured the ghetto tubeless setup plus me running low 20s psi, simply wasn't right for the tire... the sidewalls seem really thin and perhaps the lack of a tube fails to support the side wall. i pitched it and installed another one. no problems since, same tubeless setup just run higher psis now, around 30 i believe. oh, and that fall that resulted from the tire blowing out, hurt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast