Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Cat Herder

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Failed TK on the rear wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by HighFivenWhiteGuy View Post
    I rode 2.4 TK'S without incident for quite a while. However after a particularly aggressive turn into a berm the outer casing separated from the inner. I was running tubeless. After that I moved the 2.4 TK from the front to the back and put a different tire on the front. No problems since then.
    So you're running the busted tire on the rear? Your casing failure must not have been too severe. My three incidents have rendered the tire unrideable. Plus, I wouldn't trust the tire any longer.
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

Cat Herder
    So strange - your experience of pushing hard through a turn is the same as mine. I wish there was an official response from Continental.
    I am ordering a pair of Bontrager SE4s to replace my Contis. 26 x 2.3 Team Ish.
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

mtbr member
    The back tire was trashed so I moved the front tire, also a 2.4 tk, to the back to replace it. I then bought a new tire for the front.

Very annoying to say the least, especially for a spendy tire.
    Gotta love that government cheese...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Stick with the made in Germany black chili tires. I have a set of RK Super sonic 2.2 that I use in the winter months. Get lots of miles from them if you stay off the pavement.

Fun tires really, they tend to drift in the corners but always seem to hook up just in time. ; )
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Some Conti tires are made in Asia. Usually India or Taiwan. This will be molded into the tire. The Taiwan tires are made by Maxxis. The German made tires all have a large "Handmade in Germany" hot stamp on the sidewall.

If you are running standard versions without inner tubes the failures are not quality issues. You are using them in a manner they were not designed for.
    I just checked my 2.4 X-Kings. They say, "Made in Germany". I set them up Ghetto with Caffe Latex. They actually sealed up with a compressor before I put any sealant in. Although, I do paint the inside of the tube with sealant before I put the tire on. The tire holds air well, but the sidewall does seem pretty porous. There's always some wet sealant on the outside of the tire. But, I have had no problems with the tires yet.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hmm...I have two newish Mountain King 2 ....2.4's that wobble like crazy. They're Protection BlkChilli.

Can you see the failure when you take the tire off and inspect it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Hmm...I have two newish Mountain King 2 ....2.4's that wobble like crazy. They're Protection BlkChilli.

Can you see the failure when you take the tire off and inspect it?
    In my case, there was no visible evidence of the failure. However, the location of my wobble was aligned with the casing "seam" (there is a diagonal overlapping carcass structure at one point that you can see inside). Maybe this is coincidence, or maybe the origin of these failures is some shifting of the carcass layers at this point.

At any rate, its defective. I've lived through 3 of these. All Protection Black Chili, both MK and TK. The TK installed fine, but exhibited a terrible wobble after a hard g-out. The two MKs were badly wobbling on install. Conti sent me warrant replacements for all of them.

BTW, for anyone having trouble getting these tires to hold air (ie they are bleeding through the sidewall), I had a horrendous experience with that. The solution (buried deep in the Conti website) is to use a bit of sealant and a brush and scrub the inside of the tire before you put it on the rim. The mold release residue on the Conti's is really heavy, the scrubbing cleans much of it off, and the sealant can get a grip. My tires held air great after that.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the reply........LBS is going to send mine to the Conti Rep and try to get me a refund. I can't bring myself to buy them again....two tires warping in 5 rides...not good. Giving Schwalbes a try.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin View Post
    I've seen a few Trail Kings that blew a big bubble in the sidewall. Both times we thought the rim had bent, which is what it appeared to be when spinning the wheel. Both times it was the casing blowing out though.
    Can confirm, ran tubeless, big bubble, blah. Switched to Maxxis tires, no more problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2