Rider

capitol forest suggestions

I am planning on riding Cap Forset this weekend for the first time.
    Does anyone have a suggestion for a good route?
    I would love to ride the LLMT trail for sure, I was thinking 1-2+ hrs of ride time 10-20 miles.

also anyone know where I can pick up a map?
    I was thinking about just stopping at Joy Ride in Lacey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    A good objective for your first visit to Cap Forest is to not get lost. It can be a confusing place, especially if you're riding some of the moto trails that intertwine w/ the dirt roads, since the roads are inconsistently marked. In the absence of the large/folding map, and/or GPS, and/or riding buddies, you will spend time navigating any largish loops.

My suggestion for a quality first time ride is to go to the Falls Creek trailhead. Depart from the parking lot to the north on Greenline trail, ride a few minutes and you'll come to an intersection with several large signs. Take the Mima Porter trail toward Wedekind. Ride this all the way to Wedekind (sort of a highpoint where some roads intersect). This climb will take 60-90 minutes (more if you're REALLY out of shape). Turn around and enjoy the descent back in 30-40 minutes. Essentially all singletrack. Mud is manageable.

There are some great loops and options in this area, but if you're only budgeting 1-2 hours, most of those options aren't viable. Riding Mima Porter from Falls Creek has the advantage of being an out-and-back so you can turn around whenever your time budget insists.

Map here, hard to read: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/e..._map_final.pdf

Rider
    Thanks Inertia, I have a copy of this map currently.

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/e...an_full_08.pdf

just have to find a place that has one printed now.

mtbr member
    Better yet, take advantage of the 21st century technology, if you have a smart phone.

Step 1: Download an app called "PDF Maps" by Avenza Systems onto your phone.
    Step 2: Go here http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/e...mapnu_may2.pdf and download the map.
    Step 3: When the screen shows "Open in..." button (at least that's how it works on iPhone, don't know about Droid), click that and choose PDF Maps app.
    Step 4: Let the app download the map into the app. Takes less than a minute if you are on WiFi.
    Step 5: When you get to Capital Forest, open the app and open the map from your map list and watch a magical blue dot appear on the map to indicate your position.

GPS positioning is dead on accurate, so you won't have to worry about getting lost, at least while the battery last. On iPhone, it's 2 ~3 hours. Once you have the app, you can search the Map Store for different maps by name or your current location. USGS maps can be downloaded for free, which is super great.

We rode Porter to Wedekind then down Porter again this past weekend, and it was in an amazing condition. XC geeks' bliss...

Rider
    Thanks Bruiser,
    I have ios PDF Maps looks like a great app. I have used something similar in the past called Maprika but it's not quite as good.
    The only advanatage I see with Maprika is it can show your "friends" location also, which would be nice for some of my more directionally challenged friends. But Loading your own maps is more of a pain.

I am looking at riding out of Fall Creek campground and checking out those trails around that area.

Does Cap Forest have any lines that are more FR with some jumps and berms? I am down with the old school xc lines too.
    Last edited by robin_hood; 04-05-2013 at 09:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Take Mima-Porter #8 up to Wedekind, across the top (marked on your map as "Crestline"), and Greenline #6 (the Super D course) back down to Fall Creek. Then go check out Little Larch. I think you'll enjoy both of those a lot, from the sound of it.

If you want to add a bit more mileage, take #8 down to where it crosses C-Line, and ride the road back up to Wedekind. Some good flowy XC trail in there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Lots of good suggestions. If you are looking for the most efficient use of your time and a focus on fast quality descents, start at Fall Creek TH and climb roads C6000/CLine/C7000 to the top of Greenline trail. Descend Greenline back to Fall Creek TH then climb back up C6000 to the top of LLMT for your final descent back to FCTH.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    From Fall Creek, I'd run up and do LLMT first because it's a great trail and dumps you back out at fall creek. Then run up #8 and either make your way to the peak through wedakind or connect over to trail#6 down via#50. 8-50-6 is good loop and cuts down on vert and total mileage. How much energy you have left after a run up 8 is always a question so hit LLMT first while fresh.

If you are on Strava, the segment explore will let you see all the trails pretty easy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    what would be a good beginner route?

mtbr member
    What sort of distance are you looking for? There's not a lot of huge climbs or technical trails out there (though there are a few), it's more the distance that makes the difficulty.

Doing an out and back from Fall Creek toward Wedekind on #8 would be a good one, since it's a good trail both directions, and then you can choose exactly how far you want to go. You could also do an 8/50/6 loop (~10 miles) from there, which would give you a taste of the Super D without as much climbing.

Another option would be to start at the Mima TH, ride out on #8, past the falls, take the #20 cutoff to skip Lost Valley, and #6 back to complete the loop. That one is probably 10-12 miles and has a few good climbs, but isn't too hard overall. I've taken a couple friends on it that don't do a lot of riding and they had a great time.

This page has some good routes, and maps to go along with them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    thanks agate!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Is there anything built up out there hucks jumps or bermed portions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Little Larch Mountain Trail has some jumps and other features. Nothing real committing, but still fun.

Here is a little video.
    https://vimeo.com/64266499

And here is the map. Look for "Little Larch" in light blue.
    http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/e...an_full_08.pdf