mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Capitol Forest route suggestions?

Thinking about checking out Capital Forest for the first time. Want to keep the overall climbing under 1000'. Any suggestions for a good route? Given the number of trails on the map, I don't know where to start. Also, if you suggest a route, indicate the preferred parking area, as I am not too familiar with the area and all tips help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The first and only time I did it, we bit off a bit much, but I think if you started at the Mima Falls TH and did a loop up the east side on Campground and McKenny and returned on Mima Falls Trail, that would be a good loop. We did part of that but went all the way out to Fall Creek Campground and came back via Lost Valley. That was 18-20 miles and more vert than I really needed or wanted. Doable though! Next time out there I will start at Fall Creek and do the upper loop and do Wedekind, C-Line and back down Greenline.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Have you checked out this website Capitol Forest Washington Capital Forest Washington Mountain Biking Equestrian Horse Back Riding Trail Running ATV Motorcycle Department of Natural Resources I used it for my first time going out there to ride. Has a lot of info on elevation change and parking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the details. I hadn't seen that site, excellent route descriptions. I'll check it out on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Complicating that site info a bit is the fact trail names at Capitol Forest have been changed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    a good route that is a lot of fun but does involve a lot of climbing is to start at the fall creek campground and take the wedekind trail up then greenline #6 down. Really nice downhill. I want to say it's about a 12 mile loop

mtbr member
    May 2006
    For the best intro to capital, I def suggest parking out of Fall Creek and riding a loop from there, up 8, connect over 50 to 6 down, possibly head over to the top of LLMT instead of 6 all the way back. Those are the prime mountain bike trails, as compared to parking and riding out of mima or mckenny where...yes those are nice trails too, but the horse traffic is heavier down there which does change the character of the ride.

You might need to up your vert total, but what I describe above is probably less than 10 miles or so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ended up doing the ride up #8 out of Fall Creek. Great trail. Thanks for the tips.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Another that I've done for many years, with out of shape riders too (I've been in great shape and horrible shape on this ride) is where you park at the Bob Bammert grove just in from the Mima Mounds area (or park at the Mounds if you don't have a Discover pass), ride up the paved road climb (pretty steep for a bit), right turn at the top for another 2 miles or so on gravel, then back down all singletrack past the falls coming out at the horse area near the gun club. The paved climb makes it more fun for the less fit riders.