Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Capital Forest Conditions

Contemplating hitting up Capital forest on Sunday. What are the current conditions out there?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    It has to be super muddy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Snow at the top as of Wednesday, probably still there. Trail #50 was snowy as of Weds but might be ridable now. Expect slop and mud.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Pretty nasty out there right now.............

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Avoid Trail 8

Conditions were good in most places in the forest this weekend except on Trail 8 (mima Porter). Avoid this section from trail 10 and 8 to where trail 8 (Mima Porter) intersects back with 20 (near fall creek). There must have been 75 trees down and it was really muddy. Don't ask me why we didn't turn around but we thought, oh it will get better in the next clearing and pretty soon we were about half way in. I just shut my mouth, who wants to ride with a complainer. Just wanted to share.

Sweet
    Thanks for the headsup! That is def a summertime section for me!
    More fun than an open casket funeral

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    any updates on conditions? Im thinking about doing a ride from FC up to CP tomorrow. just wondering how the trails are????????? any feedback would be great. THANKS
    The Jackster. you must earn your turns and ride to the top.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hey Glen, I'm going to do that tomorrow no matter what. I have to be in Oly early tomorrow morning for some training, then leaving for FC ASAP.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Trails were in good shape today! A few mud spots, but tacky and fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    RR: Got some commitments out of the way in Oly, then out to Capitol for a little solo fun. Out of Fall Creek on #8, through Widekind, continued all the way down to C-2000. A few snow patches at high end of route, few mud holes, but the length of #8 in very good overall shape. C-2000 to C-Line to C-4000 to Capitol Peak. C-Line up was in really good shape, even dusty in places. About a mile from the peak, a lot of snow patches on the side of C-4000. GL-6 down to Fall Creek, great condition all the way. Then climbed C-6000 to the top of Little Larch, back down the new trail to FC. Outstanding job on the design / creation of this trail, excellent condition top to bottom. Once back at FC took #8 toward Mima, just to check it out. Logging on the west side of the trail looks finished (not sure on that), lots and lots of blown down cut off trail, but mucho branches on the path. Brush not much of an issue, but grow season now really going. Intent was to locate re-route, but it was getting late, so big fail on that plan.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    RR: Got some commitments out of the way in Oly, then out to Capitol for a little solo fun. Out of Fall Creek on #8, through Widekind, continued all the way down to C-2000. A few snow patches at high end of route, few mud holes, but the length of #8 in very good overall shape. C-2000 to C-Line to C-4000 to Capitol Peak. C-Line up was in really good shape, even dusty in places. About a mile from the peak, a lot of snow patches on the side of C-4000. GL-6 down to Fall Creek, great condition all the way. Then climbed C-6000 to the top of Little Larch, back down the new trail to FC. Outstanding job on the design / creation of this trail, excellent condition top to bottom. Once back at FC took #8 toward Mima, just to check it out. Logging on the west side of the trail looks finished (not sure on that), lots and lots of blown down cut off trail, but mucho branches on the path. Brush not much of an issue, but grow season now really going. Intent was to locate re-route, but it was getting late, so big fail on that plan.
    glad you had a great ride K.C. sorry i couldnt make it but i got a lot of work done at the house.

I5Troll
    Ditto what KC said... awesome conditions yesterday! Rode a short loop from Fall Creek --> MP#8 --> C-Line road up --> C4000 road over --> GL6 --> back to Fall Creek. A few snow patches alongside the C4000 road near the top of GL6.

Old and Crusty
    Nov 2010
    I rode the other way on 4/14/12 from C1000 rd. up to Wedekind, lots of trees and branches down on the first couple miles. I cleared up a bunch but theres still a bunch left that I didn't do, the latter part of the trail was awesome. I didnt have my odometer so I don't know exact distances. I saw where there was a new re-route that basically cuts off the lower part of the old trail that comes off the spur road that washed out a few years back, This is Mina Porter #8. The new trail is flagged at the point where it takes off (just above the old 2nd switch back) it'd be a major pain to climb up because it's very roughed in at this point. I got really tired of picking the limbs out of the trail so rode down w/o doing much trail work. The new route is great riding down though, still a bit rough but doable, by that point I was just happy keeping the wheels turning. The ride down from Wedekind all the way to where the trail intersects the C1000 rd. was clear of trees and very good. After the climb up it was freaking awesome to race back down

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks OGH, I love that side of Capitol. I've been told the new secton of #8 you rode will eventually go all the way down to the Porter Creek Campground, no time frame given. Then back up the other side of Hells Creek, in the area of old GL6, towards Widekind. That would be great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

conditions from Mima to Fall Creek?????? dose any one know??????

Quote Originally Posted by bdombrow View Post
    Contemplating hitting up Capital forest on Sunday. What are the current conditions out there?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hey Glen, I'm in Oly on Friday and Saturday, and will be riding at Cap both days. I will let you know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    morning kc

we're shuttling GL6 saturday, your favorite mode of cheating. want in on the real deal?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Morning Norm. I'm kind of using these two days for Stottlemeyer training, so looking for some long sustained riding. However, gravity assistance is always appreciated as part of the total package, especially in fine company. I will give you a call this PM for your schedule and try to meet you guys.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hey Glen, I'm in Oly on Friday and Saturday, and will be riding at Cap both days. I will let you know.
    thanks K.C. that would be great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Campbell View Post
    thanks K.C. that would be great.
    Rode 5+ hours, all over the forest, including Falls Creek to Mima Campground. MP8 through Lost Valley is totally blocked in so many areas, may never be open again.Take GL6 and 10 and 20. I rode the reroute, it currently opens on Lost Valley. So unless you just want to just look (like I did), stay off reroute. A little water/mud here and there, nothing to keep you from riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Rode 5+ hours, all over the forest, including Falls Creek to Mima Campground. MP8 through Lost Valley is totally blocked in so many areas, may never be open again.Take GL6 and 10 and 20. I rode the reroute, it currently opens on Lost Valley. So unless you just want to just look (like I did), stay off reroute. A little water/mud here and there, nothing to keep you from riding.
    thanks K.C. to bad for lost valley.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I was hoping to do about a 25mile loop on Saturday. I was thinking about this one.

This thread seems to be the best info on current trail conditions/damage. Does anyone know any problems with that route? Is there a better route given the likely wet conditions?
    Thanks in advance.

Sweet
    Horse event this weekend. wouldnt recommend it
    More fun than an open casket funeral

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crtlnd View Post
    Horse event this weekend. wouldnt recommend it
    This is saying something for next weekend? I was planning to ride out there Sunday but if you know something is for sure on, I'll go elsewhere.

Capitol Forest Washington Capital Forest Washington Mountain Biking Equestrian Horse Back Riding Trail Running ATV Motorcycle Department of Natural Resources

EDIT, yup that link is OLD, the same event is scheduled for this weekend out of Fall Creek!
    Last edited by yo EDDY; 06-01-2012 at 02:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The info I had passed to me is that up to 50 horse riders launching out of Fall Creek, MP8 to #50, GL6 back to Fall Creek. If I were at Cap this weekend, and I might be, I will probably ride the Porter side, or ride out of Mima.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast