mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Canyon Creek Ridge trail near Twisp

Anyone ridden or hiked this trail recently?

What sort of condition is it in? Are the views worth the effort?

(I've done Angels Staircase, Starvation mtn and Tiffany mtn so looking for a different alpine ride...)

Thanks

mtbr member
    This is one I've wondered about for years and talking with various shops/people in the Methow it sounds like its in bad shape i.e. lots of blowdown, trail erosion etc....
    I would call the Methow ranger district and ask them what they know. I always saw it as a 2 car shuttle thing, leaving the other car at Harts Pass as I believe its more downhill starting at Canyon Creek. Please post any info you get or PM me if it sounds do-able and you want some company

mtbr member
    Also I can recommend a few other good ones out that way, maybe not as long as Angels but pretty damn epic...

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Please tell! I'd be interested in any recommendations...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Re: Canyon Creek Ridge trail near Twisp

Canyon Creek Ridge is above Twisp River valley so many many miles and ridges away from Harts pass.
    I did discuss with the bike shop and rangers and both confirmed it's not been actively maintained this season so I didn't bother riding it.

I did however ride Foggy Dew and there was some blowdown on the way up but some dirtbikers cleared the trail shortly after we rode up so I had a great descent

mtbr member

I did this as a Man Show event that's how long ago it was. It was part of my response to the ladies only trend that made us decent married dudes feel awkward and Jen told me "you and the boys have fun I have no interest in that misery."

I'll dig out the methow book that shared this trail to me. Here is what stands out: the trailhead is significantly west of cutthroat on hwy 20 and really feels like no way to bikes but it is!

We did about 10 miles out then back but the word is it goes over into methow so don't let the silence here distract. This is worth really figuring out!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Len.Francies View Post
    I did this as a Man Show event that's how long ago it was. It was part of my response to the ladies only trend that made us decent married dudes feel awkward and Jen told me "you and the boys have fun I have no interest in that misery."

I'll dig out the methow book that shared this trail to me. Here is what stands out: the trailhead is significantly west of cutthroat on hwy 20 and really feels like no way to bikes but it is!

We did about 10 miles out then back but the word is it goes over into methow so don't let the silence here distract. This is worth really figuring out!
    I'm really confused by this statement...Canyon Creek Ridge is just about surrounded by Wilderness so I don't see how you could ride to the Methow valley unless you are referring to the "other" Canyon Crk trail which traverses below the Pasayten wilderness NW of Cady Point...

mtbr member

From Steve Barrets book mountain biking the methow valley in 2001 page 33 is canyon creek trail. It starts at hwy 20 milepost 141.2 east of Ross lake. His route is 9 miles out then back on trail 754 canyon creek trail. We followed route and turned around but myth has it there is a way out to the real east side and Steve's map shows a trail wandering north from Chancellor and harts pass road also to Chancellor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Len.Francies View Post
    From Steve Barrets book mountain biking the methow valley in 2001 page 33 is canyon creek trail. It starts at hwy 20 milepost 141.2 east of Ross lake. His route is 9 miles out then back on trail 754 canyon creek trail. We followed route and turned around but myth has it there is a way out to the real east side and Steve's map shows a trail wandering north from Chancellor and harts pass road also to Chancellor.
    Ahhh, I was referring to ride 29 on page 104 of the same book...

The USFS topo maps clearly show service roads extending eastwards from the end of your/Steve's suggested route to Harts Pass through various old mines though I have no idea whether they are passable or legal...

mtbr member

Gearz' report from 2006

Mill Creek looked promising unitl I read this:

Canyon Creek #754; Mill Creek #755; Boulder Creek #729 9-28-06

You still out there Gearz?

They don't make 'em like you anymore.
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 08-11-2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Uploaded image