Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Can-o-worms, preconceived notions of Silent Swamp

Hear we go, I want to hear it. I keep hearing preconceived notions from people about the rebuild of the Silent Swamp Trail on Tiger. It's pretty interesting to hear peoples notions of this trail, so I'd like to hear it and see where peoples toughs land.

But first,did you know?

The trail is going to be 2.75-3 miles long.
    Add a 450' decent in to NWT!
    Make real nice low Mtn loops!
    We are a litle more then 2/3rds the way done with the trail.
    Make Tiger a Top to Bottom singletrack ride.
    Is almost all in zones that will not be logged ever or for a long time!
    It's actually not in a Swamp, Crazy I know.
    There's corners, rocks, drops, steeps, roots, switchbacks and lots of other goodies.

There will be a little of something for everyone on this trail, unless you like to riding thru mud holes, we got rid of those!

But don't take my word for it, Just look at whats already in the dirt!

So does this look like a trail that you would like to ride?

And if you haven't seen this video, we shot the whole thing on this trail.
    Silent Swamp - An Evergreen Trail Building Mockumentary Video - Pinkbike

*******************This trail is still very much closed to everyone that is NOT at an active work party. Please do NOT go ride it to "check it out". There are bridges that still need to go in that cross wet areas that no one needs to be walking thru.*************************

If you want to "check it out" come to a work party and I will show you around some.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    I HIGHLY recommend joining a work party and checking it out. My buddies and I were blown away by how sweet this new section is looking. Plus after your done working you get to ride some of it out! This new section is going to give riders a ton of different options at Tiger.
    2013 Stumpy Evo

FM
    luxatio erecta
    haters gonna hate.
    It's like blaming the car in front of you when stuck in traffic. Silent swamp is only one part of an awesome new trail network that will take years to build. Help or shut up. Talk doesn't move dirt suckaz!

JRA
    mtbr member
    Now you've got my interest ... what sort of pre-conceived notions am I supposed to have? Do tell.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    On my old monitor some of the rocks look blue. I don't like blue rocks. Please remove. :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It's not you monitor, they are blue/gray boulders! I took out all the purple rocks cuz you know

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbty View Post
    There will be a little of something for everyone on this trail, unless you like to riding thru mud holes, we got rid of those!
    They took our mud holes!

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    I really think Silent Swamp will be a game changer at Tiger. All connected singletrack eliminating that annoying road connector. Combine that with the new East Tiger trail, and coming soon Off the Grid descent so you have an option other than Preston. Sweetness!

Give me tech, give me flow, give me steep, give me rolling. I like it all! I say just build the style of trail that is best for the terrain, hydrology and the usage patterns. Listen to the land. Y'all are doing a great job of that! Tiger is already so much better than it was just 2 years ago.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Needs more berms.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Switchbacks?? That's crazy talk. You should refer to them as bermed turns

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    It should be too difficult to descend and something that you'd only want to climb so that you can ride the road back down. Oh and more braaaapp, less schlapppp.

mtbr member
    Can-o-worms, preconceived notions of Silent Swamp-977093_10200773719120479_416050493_o.jpg

Here is Bryan putting in some drainage so the water can Flow off the trail but the trail better not have any Flow to it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Wow. I did not know Bryan was so multi-talented!!! Nice work!!

BTW. I initially did not get the jist of this post but apparently there are some complainers about the trail being built? What I have found is the guys with all the opinions and critiques "you should do this or you should do that" are the guys that spend little or not time behind a shovel. I treat those folks like Charlie Brown's school teacher. I hear their noise but it is just noise.

Keep up the good work guys!!

mtbr member
    If people didn't voice their opinion / complain how would Evergreen know what flavor of trail to build next???

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I think smiles are a good way to know what to build next. For every one complain there are 99 people who simply love what one person complains about.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    As far as the trail goes, i walked a bunch today and didn't even know i was hiking up an old road bed. That's pretty damn good to sculpt a trail in a fashion where that isn't blatantly apparent. Kudos to the boys and girls out there slinging the dirt, making it happen.
    When it all comes down to it, what matters most beyond the words that leave as sounds and whatever is understood from them... What matters the most is that people within our community are afforded the opportunity and actively participating in creating a recreational opportunity that will bless future generations with a fun trail.
    It was a beautiful day for trailwork, the enthusiasm from my fellow trail volunteers was great, and the assistance and direction from Tyler and Bryan was awesome. I got $hitty dirty, played with dirt and rocks, and am stoked to see such progress when it was just a handful of years ago, when i would have discussion with other mt. bikers on the trail.
    We would talk about how DNR would never allow new trails for mt. bikers to ever happen...
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Alright I'll bite. I'll be the first to admit that I love the new trail, however it wasn't what I first expected even though I helped build a bit of it. I was hoping for more Preston like jackhammer, rootballs, rock rollers etc. I was disappointed that it was too flowy. I know, I may be alone here... Tyler and Bryan told me to chill cuz the trail will return to its more natural state or something like that. I can already see it happening on the lower half of the summit. Now I shut up and let the experts do their thing, and am happy to ride and build whatever... I am excited to see how the bridges and drainage work out, cuz there is a ton of water in that area. Swamp is right...

mtbr member
    Thank you for all your efforts putting this trail in place. I have been daydreaming about this connection for decades.
    Seek: Old Mtn. Goat Bar Stem Combo.

Just roll it......

Quote Originally Posted by tductape View Post
    Thank you for all your efforts putting this trail in place. I have been daydreaming about this connection for decades.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Just rode summit down, and that trail just keeps getting better! Had my buddy riding from out of state and no idea of what goes on behind the scenes, and he loved the trail. So, thanks to everyone, especially the main guys. Silent swamp will be rad, and especially psyched at the prospect of a non-river Preston trail that could be open year round!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Is there still any possibility of Preston opening year round if the river trail river is diverted?

mtbr member
    Two statements come to mind.

(1) If you build it they will ride... If you don't build it they wont build.

(2) If you build it they will beeoch... If you don't build it they will beeoch.

Keep up the good work!
    - Be Someone

I5Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by thedudeman View Post
    Is there still any possibility of Preston opening year round if the river trail river is diverted?
    Yep, that is a high priority. Graham led 12 work parties with NCCC crews in May and June to add grade reversals, rock and drainage to the upper section. We didn't really post/advertise those work parties so we could keep moving on OTG and the Swamp. We'll be back in the fall/winter to tackle the lower section... that grant comes with a volunteer match requirement so we'll be posting those.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    Yep, that is a high priority. Graham led 12 work parties with NCCC crews in May and June to add grade reversals, rock and drainage to the upper section. We didn't really post/advertise those work parties so we could keep moving on OTG and the Swamp. We'll be back in the fall/winter to tackle the lower section... that grant comes with a volunteer match requirement so we'll be posting those.
    Worth noting is that section that was "narrowed up" and fortified is IMHO now the best part of the PRT. LOTs of good hard work done in there. And appreciated.

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Holy crap Bob, I'm going to publicly agree with you

I was noticing some unexpected improvements on the upper part of Preston when I rode it last week.

Oh boy, with the announcement of 2 new Tiger trails just this week, the continued improvement of the Preston River (ahem, I mean trail, and it's actually turning into a trail now), Silent Swamp and Off the Grid being built, Tiger is turning in to a truly legit place to ride.

To be honest, I really hated Tiger 4 years ago. I'm starting to love riding there! Seriously, 4 NEW trails in the works now. Wow!
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast