mtbr member

Camping near Lewis River trail 31?

Looking to get in some SW WA single track next month around the Lewis River area (Lewis River trail 31, Ape Canyon/Plains of Abe and Falls Creek ). Is it realistic to find a open camp site at the Lower Falls camp ground on the Lewis River (road 90) on a Friday morning? All the private camp grounds at Swift, Yale and Merwin are all reserved for August, any other CG that allow easy access to these trails?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadRoadie
    Looking to get in some SW WA single track next month around the Lewis River area (Lewis River trail 31, Ape Canyon/Plains of Abe and Falls Creek ). Is it realistic to find a open camp site at the Lower Falls camp ground on the Lewis River (road 90) on a Friday morning? All the private camp grounds at Swift, Yale and Merwin are all reserved for August, any other CG that allow easy access to these trails?
    My favorite is at Quartz Creek and FR 90. There are about 4 campsites right by the bridge, a short walk over to the horse camp and bathroom. LRT #31 starts right across the road. there are other disbursed campsites in the area, just follow the side gravel roads. Several interesting campsites on the way to Ape Canyon, in pullouts and side roads. No amenities.
    Falls Creek has Paradise Campground convieniently located a couple of road miles (fewer if you know the back trails) to falls creek trailhead. Lots of stuff up top near oldman pass and mcclellan meadows. just drive around a bit and you'll see stuff.

bike oN
    bob
    red-haze
    The more I know the more I know I don't know.
    Let the bike ride the trail, you ride the bike.
    Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I thought about that site, but is it legal?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Dispersed Camping

Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadRoadie
    Yeah, I thought about that site, but is it legal?
    http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation...html#dispersed

You can camp anywhere that follows these rules and is not expressly forbidden.
    red-haze
    The more I know the more I know I don't know.
    Let the bike ride the trail, you ride the bike.
    Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

mtbr member
    How about Curly Creek at the LRT31 parking area?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    reviving a long-dormant post.. @OffRoadRoadie, did you find any good dispersed camping in that area?

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    just rode Lewis yesterday; lots of camping but I have no idea how the reservations work there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i'm more interested in dispersed camping. anyone have on-the-ground beta for good spots in the vicinity?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    We've always camped near Lewis River. There's lots of dispersed, especially if you get there Friday afternoon or earlier. If you come later, just look harder up side roads if the CG are full. Dispersed isn't for everyone, gotta be more self sufficient with water, tables, fire, etc. From Lewis up towards Oldman pass there are 14 zillion spots, so I can't imagine ever having a problem up there.