Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Calling Kachess Riders....conditions?

Anyone been up (or down) Kachess Ridge recently? Thinking about a sawing mission up there soon, but was curious about a snow report. If anyone is up for some good fun clearing that trail, let me know. Next week perhaps....post Kettle Fest.
    graham@evergreenmtb.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Couple of buddies rode it on the 4th. A few snow patches and 3 (if I remember correctly) trees down. Generally awesome. Too bad I had to work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I rode it on June 30th. It was passable, but still a surprising amount of snow. Also several portions of trail 6-8 inches deep in water for 100's of feet at a time.

I'm surprised at warmonkey's characterization above, since I had more like 50-60 snow patches only 4 days earlier. The main snow patch (that lingers well into July or August each year, about halfway to the high point notch after you leave the road for the singletrack) nearly required an ice axe or crampons to cross. I used my bike as an ice axe (laying it on side and punching a pedal into the snow) and kicked steps across. I've done my share of ice and snow climbing, and this was a bit sketchy. There were many snow patches before and after this section. The entire last 200 vertical feet to the notch was a sustained snowfield. Once at the notch, there were still dozens of snow patches on the descent, and it was well more than 1000 feet of vert below the notch before the snow disappeared.

The tree situation isn't bad. I'd wait another week before heading up with any saws -- partially because it may be difficult getting across some of the sections w/ heavy gear, and also because there may still be some trees under snow prior to the notch.

I may get up there again on Thur or Fri, so can give you a more current report then.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Inertiaman, et all,

thanks for the beta...i will be curious to hear how things have changed since you were there... I think i can get up there next week with a saw, and can push up from below unless others want to go and do a shuttle. Ya'll let me know if anyone wants to rally next week, and what day is best for you...

thanks , graham@evergreenmtb.org

Last word is all yours...
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    I used my bike as an ice axe (laying it on side and punching a pedal into the snow) and kicked steps across. I've done my share of ice and snow climbing, and this was a bit sketchy.
    + 1 rep for that right there.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Talked to my buddy, he's sticking to his story. (shrug)

I didn't do it
    With the recent hot temps in July I'm not surprised in the improvement from late june to the 4th. But more importantly I imagine these temps are only helping get Kachess in good riding condition for later this summer.

jtd
    mtbr member
    Rode it today... 2 really small patches of snow on the hike-a-bike. 4-5 large trees down at various spots below the meadow. Fortunately all the trees are at slow sections so you don't have to worry about hitting them. The meadow was super muddy in spots, but totally passable. Rest of the trail is rolling well. Lots of surfing loose gravel on the lower portion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What a difference two weeks makes!

I rode Kachess again today. Only two minor snow patches. This trail is definitely ready for the season.

gturnage, the tree situation is pretty modest, only 4-5 trees in 3-4 spots, all relatively low down the trail:

1.5 miles up from the trail sign at the bottom (one tree)
    another 100 feet further up (2 trees)
    2.5 miles up from trail sign (one tree)
    3.5 miles up from trail sign (one tree)

I can email you exact waypoints if that helps your planning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey folks,

thanks for all the awesome beta! I have posted a work party on the evergreen calendar for sunday, july 21 to logout Kachess, and perhaps fix some tread if time allows. With chainsaw(s) we will shuttle and attack from above. If not enough folks sign up, I will push up from the bottom. Come join me; graham@evergreenmtb.org
    link to event; Evergreen MTB Calendar

cheers, graham

mtbr member
    Make a note, however, that the mosquito and flies are relentless at the top. Bring bug spray or be a meal. I've never had as many bites in as short a period of time (literally seconds), as I did at the top on Sunday and I WAS wearing bug spray. Just not enough apparently. Guys without bug spray regretted it.
    I'll be along... eventually.

mtbr member
    Funny, rode it Friday and the only mosquitos were at the bottom of the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by portnoy View Post
    Make a note, however, that the mosquito and flies are relentless at the top. Bring bug spray or be a meal. I've never had as many bites in as short a period of time (literally seconds), as I did at the top on Sunday and I WAS wearing bug spray. Just not enough apparently. Guys without bug spray regretted it.
    We were there this last Sunday also and the mosquitoes were really bad. Once they honed in on you, you literally had hundreds of mosquitoes looking for a place to land. We were using this natural mosquito repellent and It didn't deter the mosquitoes one bit. When we got down lower on the trail, we stopped and watched a bunch of Dragonflies darting and diving for mosquitoes. I'm still itching!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    sounds like all the trees have been cleared - thanks to whoever did that. The sunday work party will morph into a brushing party instead, way easier to carry machettes and loppers than chainsaws! sign up on the evergreen calendar.
    Evergreen MTB Calendar

cheers, graham

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    Rode it Friday. Surprisingly the growth in the meadows is really low, not the typical 4-5 feet. One giant rut by a creek crossing that needs addressing--looks like its made by a 29er as it swallowed a 26 inch wheel. Bugs were not out.

Cat Herder
    Heading out tomorrow and very grateful for this beta as well as the tree-clearing gnomes!
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Kachess crew,

Heading back up there on Sunday, aug 4 for a rolling work party. There are a few boggy sections that need some love, raising and rockwork mostly. Thinking of shuttling to the top and descending with a few tread tools to hammer it out. Any help with a lift up the road much appreciated.....that would enable much more efficient work. If you are shuttling anyways on Sunday, help us out! thanks
    graham@evergreenmtb.org
    Evergreen MTB Calendar

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    Rode this one Friday again. Dry and fast. Trail gnomes have been at it-much appreciated-and the big pit after one of the creek crossings is gone. Observation: It seems some of the more technical sections (rocky areas) up near the upper meadow have been smoothed out. Is this being done because of erosion concerns?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    nickn,

Not sure if anyone has done tread work up in those meadow zones, our crew worked on brushing and a bit of hole filling lower down. The only tread work planned for sunday is low, along the creek. Rest assured, there will be no "dumbing down" if possible. Sometimes the short term result of tread repair seems less tech, mostly because the erosion rut is gone. Folks like tech trails how they are, and we do our best at preserving the rocky, rooty, "holy crap!" nature of the trail as we work, while dealing with the erosion.

cheers, gt

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    Thanks Graham. The brushing was obvious as were some of the tread work lower down (thanks). Maybe the upper stuff is a result of increased rider numbers and a common path is getting worn in? But a couple spots just looked like tools were involved. I'll need to get out for one of your trail work sessions up there instead of working on Tiger.
    -Nick

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Nick,

yea man join us whenever, good times! that said, any and all trail work, tiger, wherever is much appreciated! thanks for being out there and diggin!

cheers, gt

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by nickn View Post
    Maybe the upper stuff is a result of increased rider numbers and a common path is getting worn in? But a couple spots just looked like tools were involved.
    I haven't been up there this season yet but in the past couple of years it seems to me that more people have been riding the trail. In particular it seems like more people are shuttling (not that there's anything wrong with that btw). It just might be possible that an increase in use could be creating a smoother line through there.

mtbr member
    Calling Kachess Riders....conditions?-imag1994.jpg
    Did an out and back Friday afternoon, first of the season for me. Was raining on west side but dry in Easton. Cloudy and windy up top which made for a cool climb. Appreciate all the brush work and sawing. Always love Kachess.

mtbr member
    We did a shuttle-treadwork party on Kachese yesterday. Sunny, dusty, buggy, but the upper valley was beautiful with the flowers going full bore. Unfortunately, car flats made a couple of us ride most of the way up to get the cars, and of course by then they were out of water. Even worse, those of us that stayed behind got to spend a few hours lounging by the lake.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Slop and crew,

Thanks so much for coming out and working on Kachess sunday! It is cool that it's able to be done as a shuttle, that said, it is always in need of some trail work love, so thanks, you guys rock! We will be doing more work up there this summer / fall, so if you like riding this awesome trail, come help keep it sweet.

cheers, gt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast