mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Calling all Seattle area Fatbikers!

Looking to spread the work to Seattle area fatbikers about my page. Anyone is welcome to join up and share info on the page. View the link on Facebook! SeattleFatbike Link below

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Cool til i can afford one i'm gonna be a Fatbike poser.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Fake it 'til you make it
    I want to see Fatbike reviews of real winter riding conditions around the NW.

No snow, no sand. Obviously they do well (slowly) in those mediums.

How do they ride on our regular riding spots in the muck?

Do they tear up the trails less?

Can you shred on them? U-Line?

That racer group in CO seems to be fond of the fat tire. Is it only a distinguishing fad?

Remember the Hanebrink dune bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sorry namaste1978 I don't facebook but check in here every once in a while...

JLantz
    Riding a Fat Bike in NW conditions works well. I have done Tiger trails and they do well. It is fun to blast past full suspension biker on a ridged Fat Bike.. They float obviously, and where their is less impact less damage. I have come down Tiger from snow to slush to wet and muddy logging roads with enough control to drift in the corners due to the predictability of the tires and I'm guessing the low tire pressure provides some squirm also.

These bikes handle trials type riding well also with the traction they provide.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Theres also lots of choices now rim & tire wise. Narrower rims & bigger knobby's for traction in dirt & etc... wider rims & less tread "signature" for sand & loose stuff... and now even bigger volume for max. floatation. I do love snow riding but (as Sven knows) my favorite is sand. Snow (in the PNW anyway) can be ridable one day and not so much the next. Sand is almost always ridable, especially on the 100's. The only sand that ever dismounted me was deep in the Oregon dunes and that was small areas of fresh blown in stuff on the leeward side of huge dunes (tough to walk in too). Lots of evolution in fat bikes right now... every time you turn around there's a new product. I had a custom FB frame built for all around riding. Basicly an XC hardtail 29er built wide enough to take FB tires and rims. It has a Maverick SC32 fork (unfortunately unavailable now but there are some folks running modified Lefty's) and has been my main bike for the last 3 years. Yes, it's heavier than lots of bikes... but the way it rolls over stuff and the way it touches the ground... and the adjustability for different terrain. They're not for everyone and they take a while to figure out. Allot of folks run the tires way to hard at first and don't have such a positive 1st experience. Hard for cyclists to fathom single digit pressures. They're the ATV's of cycling!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JLantz View Post
    I want to see Fatbike reviews of real winter riding conditions around the NW.

No snow, no sand. Obviously they do well (slowly) in those mediums.

How do they ride on our regular riding spots in the muck?

Do they tear up the trails less?

Can you shred on them? U-Line?

That racer group in CO seems to be fond of the fat tire. Is it only a distinguishing fad?

Remember the Hanebrink dune bike?
    Check out Shiggy's Recent Ancient Lakes Post, we're both on them. You might be able to shred on one, they all differ a bit. In fact On One is working on a design specifically for all around riding... more for general dirt, rock & etc than sand & snow (although I think it gonna rock there too) Not sure when it will go into production.

I try to stay out of the muck, ridable or not... the locals know my tracks and I don't want to be the one leaving the big rut down someones favorite route (especially mine).

Tear up the trails less? possibly. They do generally run MUCH lower ground pressure and spread the weight over a bigger footprint so yes, probably less impact.

Believe it or not I have a Hanebrink... really cool- for hauling a case of beer to the beach fire but it can't do what our fat bikes can do.

Passing fad? maybe for some. Not for me... I'm hooked! But I'm pretty much hooked on anything w/ pedals!

Fake it 'til you make it
    Thanks for the replies, Guys.

Are you near Bellingham, Ward? I'd love to rent the Hanebrink for a day if it's cool with you.
    Last edited by JLantz; 02-28-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: grammer

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Darn...

...I thought you meant fat bikers.

I want one more than ever but I have to thin the herd a little. I'm hoping to have one by next fall.

Say, are you going to eat that donut ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by warmonkey View Post
    I want one more than ever but I have to thin the herd a little. I'm hoping to have one by next fall.
    Too many, even with the demise of the K2 last year?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JLantz View Post
    Thanks for the replies, Guys.

Are you near Bellingham, Ward? I'd love to rent the Hanebrink for a day if it's cool with you.
    I'd let you take it out for free (or a six pack) if it was together. I bought it pretty much hammered. Bearings, drivetriain in bad shape and Hanebrink's original brakes were from some type of lawn mower application and were barely functional. I rode it enough to know I'd made a huge mistake and the guy wouldn't refund a penny. I bought it at the time Wildfire (the original "Fat Bike") was just starting up and just a couple months before the first Ti Fatbacks came out. I was on my 3rd set of Snow Cat rims and wanted to upgrade floatation wise... should have put the money into a Wildfire! Live and learn. Within a year Surly began advertising the Pugsly, before the Endomorph tire even- most of the 1st fat bikes had 3" nokians. No one was building FB's out of ALU yet and the Ti's were high dollar so had a very special custom frame built out of ALU- built specifically "around" the Maverick fork. I also have an ALU Fatback w/ 100's.

I have always planned to restore the Hanebrink (it's one of the ex- army models that saw time in the 1st Iraq war- doing what I don't know). I've got ideas on how to go about upgrading brakes, axle assemblies & etc. but to many cool developments keep popping up w/ fat bikes. Plus, in this economy, my "bike budget" isn't what it was a few years ago. It would be great to get out at fat bike meets & beach parties... but, again, they can not do what our evolved FB's can do. It is a collectors item though and I would gladly sell it (and make someone a much fairer deal than I got) and share my ideas on it.

Anyhow, I'm in the Yakima area. PM me if your ever in the area. Your welcome to check it out ( and my other FB's)

-Cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Fat Bike Article

Here's an article that ran in the Yakima Herald last October. It apparently ran in several other papers in WA. OR. and ID.... Fat chance: Get past their looks and you might like fat bikes : Sports Yakima

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Well let's see, there's a DB Sortie Black, a sweet '99 Bass Boat Blue Homegrown Pro, a Spesh Stumpy 29er, a Surly KM 29er, a new On-One 456 Carbon 650b, a LaPierre HT, a K2 Lithium 5 and my KHS dirt jumper. You're right, there is room for another bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Check out these Lefty'd fatty's... Post Pics of your Fat Lefty!