Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    244

    Building the Rock Trail @ East Tokul

    I'd like to work on building a trail through the rock pile in East Tokul. I know there were some contacts that came up in a previous thread but my search skills are failing me today. Who do I contact about doing that? Is there any support behind that idea out there?

    -Scott Wipp

  2. #2
    Moist and Delicious
    Reputation: nasai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by wipp View Post
    I'd like to work on building a trail through the rock pile in East Tokul. I know there were some contacts that came up in a previous thread but my search skills are failing me today. Who do I contact about doing that? Is there any support behind that idea out there?

    -Scott Wipp
    Some of the work is already done for you, no less. BTW, if you find tools up there, please let me know. I could never find them, and figured they were lifted or moved to mess with me. Thanks.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,682
    Nasai and I have looked in there a few times and he started something in there about 2 years ago until his tool stash was pilfered. I am sure that Juice or Slop or ggluv will have something to say about any new stuff going in out there right now though....
    Would be really cool in a 'shore style sort of way to get something fun and challenging in there. Definitely odd and different that other terrain around here in the low lands.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    244
    I need a special decoder ring for all these names. I know I've ridden with Borneo on a Paradise ride a few weeks back. Woodway, I've ridden with a couple of times there off season before the orthopedic surgeon had their go at my feet with a bunch of Home Depot screw guns...

    Anyway, it'd be great to get out there and hike/flag the existing work. Any chance to meet up out there for a Rock Trail Survey?

  5. #5
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,286
    A bunch of people have hiked that area and had ideas. One thing that looked very promising was to start the trail off the road, up at the highest elev point (safety first side). Nice 1-2% DH grade down through the clearcut to the tree stand where the rock spine is.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    244
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. Without having actually ventured into the rocks there, my hope is to build a expert level downwardly trending tech trail. I did see some flagging on the east side of the spine/pile but nothing that was easily seen from the trail up above. Also, there was a joke a while back in another thread about bears in there...?

    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    A bunch of people have hiked that area and had ideas. One thing that looked very promising was to start the trail off the road, up at the highest elev point (safety first side). Nice 1-2% DH grade down through the clearcut to the tree stand where the rock spine is.

  7. #7
    i'm schralping yer thread
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by wipp View Post
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. Without having actually ventured into the rocks there, my hope is to build a expert level downwardly trending tech trail. I did see some flagging on the east side of the spine/pile but nothing that was easily seen from the trail up above. Also, there was a joke a while back in another thread about bears in there...?
    That was me. Just kidding. Maybe...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    244
    Great. All I can see now is this big ass bear sleeping on a hord of stolen tools.

  9. #9
    Justin Vander Pol
    Reputation: juice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,595
    We'll be getting some info out in the next few weeks about trail building on Hancock land. County rules state that you need a permit to build a trail, and Hancock is enforcing this rule on their land as of late. We have some ideas about how to facilitate this, but don't have anything nailed down as of yet, so all new trail building on Hancock land is in a holding pattern.

    Wipp, give me a call or drop me an email. I'm serving as the point person for trail questions and issues on Hancock and can help fill in some of the context about getting trails approved by Hancock.

    Speaking of the rock island, a few of us have had some ideas over the years and we walked a route through there a few months ago. It could be a fun, short little zone. The challenge is getting out of there since the Gun Range trail needs to be re-routed away from the no trespassing zone. It would make sense to tie into Gun Range.

    There's a ton of swampy crap downhill from the rock area and in the spot where Gun Range could be rerouted and still have a reasonable amount of vert. I think it's doable with (massive amounts of) careful flagging and trail layout. It'll be a tricky one to flag. Bushwhacking will be required to know for sure if it's doable.

    But that's putting the cart a bit before the horse. Next steps before we get anything new is to get over the trail permit hurdle. Glenn (Evergreen's Executive Director) has some ideas about how to solve this issue, but it'll take a bit more time and work.

    Justin Vander Pol
    justin@vanderpol.org
    206.390.2237

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Navigator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    383
    Ever any thoughts about cutting out the climb section of Dodgeball? Start the decent after Safety first but turn left before hitting the blackberries and catch the peak of the clearcut section. The climb is kind of a buzzkill for no gain.

    Including Safety First, that decent would be longer than FT3K. And if a "Rock Trail" started in the same area as described, there would be two options potentially meeting below.

    This came up looking at the Birds Eye View of the area on Bing. You can clearly see the Dodgeball Ribbon through the clearcut. Pretty cool.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,682
    Yeah, that did come up and I'm sure Nasai wouldn't care if it did get cut through as it's not very long to cut across from the old upper GR....

  12. #12
    Moist and Delicious
    Reputation: nasai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Yeah, that did come up and I'm sure Nasai wouldn't care if it did get cut through as it's not very long to cut across from the old upper GR....
    Yeah, when I first built it, I wasn't interested in digging through tons of debris, so went to the fire road cul-de-sac and started there. Granted, after completing the thing, I almost went back and did the connector at top, but I was so burnt out. That top section took 2 months all by my lonesome, so I wasn't really interested...

    Anyways, I have been meaning to go back there and do it, but I just haven't been compelled enough... that, or the rock pile. The tool thing totally bummed me out.

    Besides, I don't "own" the trail, so do what you have to do if you want to connect it. I would just ask that you leave the little climb intact, because I like looping it 3 or 4 times and seeing if I can beat my descent times.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    244
    I'm planning to go up and poke around on the Rock Island with Pickles the bear killing dog Thursday evening @ 5:00 if anyone cares to join. No flagging or anything like that, just hike it and maybe place a rock cairn or two next to features that I think are noteworthy.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,682
    Ride Bandwagon right next to it while you are at it since it probably needs more tires. I may be over that way on my full evening Tokul tour.

  15. #15
    Just roll it......
    Reputation: ebxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,552
    Permitting aside, to build on what JVP said about the swampy zones below the boulders, it wouldn't make sense to do additional flagging until Fall when all of the foliage is down and sight lines/scouting is significantly easier. I say that, of course, not knowing if that zone was clearcut as well.

    EB

  16. #16
    Moist and Delicious
    Reputation: nasai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    Permitting aside, to build on what JVP said about the swampy zones below the boulders, it wouldn't make sense to do additional flagging until Fall when all of the foliage is down and sight lines/scouting is significantly easier. I say that, of course, not knowing if that zone was clearcut as well.

    EB
    This. The section I had flagged and was cutting (there is already maybe 500 feet up there, although probably has trees laying across now after the last few years) was only on the top middle section of that spine. I started on the south end of the rock pile and worked almost the entire length, across the top only. I was building a return XC trail to Bandwagon, but never built the switchbacks to the bottom on either side. That section across the top is a real b!tch too, because there doesn't seem to be any dirt anywhere. I was piling rocks and couldn't find any dirt for fill. Drove me nuts. Maybe another reason I didn't go back!

    All said, what EB and JVP said makes a ton of sense. I'd use this season to finish the top section (once approval is received from Hancock, of course) and flag the other sections for when you can see stuff all the better.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Ride Bandwagon right next to it while you are at it since it probably needs more tires. I may be over that way on my full evening Tokul tour.
    I thinking that Bandwagon is not going to stick as a name and it's going to become Toilet Bowl.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,682
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    I thinking that Bandwagon is not going to stick as a name and it's going to become Toilet Bowl.
    In can throw the toilet bowl back over the side where it was when we built the trail if that helps...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    244
    Toilet synonyms: poo'er, epiphany, bathroom, outhouse, john, porcelain, think tank, oval office, long drop, denny, johnny on the spot, commode, sh*tter, head, throne

    I kind of like 'The Epiphany Trail'. Maybe that's good for the rock trail since it's just below the Toilet after Bandwagon and some of it might be so difficult you'll likely have an Epiphany.


    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    In can throw the toilet bowl back over the side where it was when we built the trail if that helps...

  20. #20
    i'm schralping yer thread
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    855
    Building the Rock Trail @ East Tokul-img_1334.jpg

    Technical Toilet Feature?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,682
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1334.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	805472

    Technical Toilet Feature?
    No Flow.....

  22. #22
    i'm schralping yer thread
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    No Flow.....
    Well played, sir.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    244
    Now that's funny!

    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    No Flow.....

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,682
    Will be in the area this afternoon Wipp with ggluv and Enduro Doug I believe. Not sure where the wet area is that Juice speaks of as I think that's below the road which is below the rock pile and with lower Gun Range off limits now, not much point IMHO in heading down that way any more. Best option is on the other side of the road in the "Toilet Bowl" area. Some very cool woods in there and an area of exposed 'shore style rock as well. Good and mossy/greasy.....

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Navigator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    383
    Looping that back to the top of Safety First would be the shizzle. I like loops.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,682
    Huh? There is already a loop there. Cross the road at the bottom of SF and take upper Gun Range to Dodgeball back out to the road. Go left below the rocks and left again on the road. Then, right into Bandwagon and back up to the bottom of Safety..... Or, the other way around.... Might not be a bad idea to cut left at the bottom of Safety and tie that into the top of bandwagon too. Hmmmmmm. I don't think EB or now Rough would mind that.....

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Navigator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    383
    Was thinking a trial to get to the "top" of safety first. I know the default at Tokul E is to climb roads but trails are always better IMO.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,682
    Ah so. Juice was talking about something on the West side of the "climbing road" parallel to Safety at one point but you can also continue Bandwagon up that side. There is a lower/wetter section but it would overall be pretty easy to get up to the intersection just past the entrance. You wanted a project.....

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    244
    Borneo, I'll be in the parking lot @ 5 and up at the end of bandwagon around 5:20

    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Will be in the area this afternoon Wipp with ggluv and Enduro Doug I believe. Not sure where the wet area is that Juice speaks of as I think that's below the road which is below the rock pile and with lower Gun Range off limits now, not much point IMHO in heading down that way any more. Best option is on the other side of the road in the "Toilet Bowl" area. Some very cool woods in there and an area of exposed 'shore style rock as well. Good and mossy/greasy.....

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,682
    Quote Originally Posted by wipp View Post
    Borneo, I'll be in the parking lot @ 5 and up at the end of bandwagon around 5:20
    We were there and you were not.....

    Scoped out some other possible fun zones and rode down SF to Bandwagon and back up Dodgeball/Upper Gun Range. Then down FT3K. Did some trail work prior on GS too.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    244
    Yeah, I got held up at work downtown and couldn't get out on the trail until 5:45. Should've gotten a #. Anyway, I did get in there and hike the whole Island. It's different than I thought, lots of loose rock, duff and debris, very little soil. The route in the picture basically circles what is a huge pit in the middle of the island. The east side of the route is more techy and has a very good opportunity for a descent into the pit and then a climb out to the big rocks that are visible from the service road.

    I did run into Nasai's work on the west side of the loop. There was an impressive effort to bench in a trail with a few logs as support and some yellow flagging that went up a service/tractor path. Sorry Nasai, no tools!

    First thoughts about the island are that it lends itself to two trails starting from the top leading down to the entrance to gun range. The east one more tech with some difficult trialsy ups and downs and the west one more mainstream. I'll spend some more time in there as the season progresses and this time bring some ribbon because the underbrush does not really lend itself to cairns.

    Sorry I missed you folk, let's trade #'s off forum so we can fix that.

    -Scott

    Building the Rock Trail @ East Tokul-screen-shot-2013-06-07-9.41.13-am.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    We were there and you were not.....

    Scoped out some other possible fun zones and rode down SF to Bandwagon and back up Dodgeball/Upper Gun Range. Then down FT3K. Did some trail work prior on GS too.

  32. #32
    Moist and Delicious
    Reputation: nasai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by wipp View Post
    Yeah, I got held up at work downtown and couldn't get out on the trail until 5:45. Should've gotten a #. Anyway, I did get in there and hike the whole Island. It's different than I thought, lots of loose rock, duff and debris, very little soil. The route in the picture basically circles what is a huge pit in the middle of the island. The east side of the route is more techy and has a very good opportunity for a descent into the pit and then a climb out to the big rocks that are visible from the service road.

    I did run into Nasai's work on the west side of the loop. There was an impressive effort to bench in a trail with a few logs as support and some yellow flagging that went up a service/tractor path. Sorry Nasai, no tools!

    First thoughts about the island are that it lends itself to two trails starting from the top leading down to the entrance to gun range. The east one more tech with some difficult trialsy ups and downs and the west one more mainstream. I'll spend some more time in there as the season progresses and this time bring some ribbon because the underbrush does not really lend itself to cairns.

    Sorry I missed you folk, let's trade #'s off forum so we can fix that.

    -Scott

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-06-07 at 9.41.13 AM.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	240.3 KB 
ID:	806217
    Thanks for looking for the tools, at least for a brief moment. I hope someone will use that bench. It took forever with all that rock, and it's not even that special.

    Anyways, I hope to get up there soon and help (when we're cleared to do so). Having new twin boys is certainly keeping me off the trails for the time being.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by nasai View Post
    It took forever with all that rock...
    Like I said; "impressive"! Unfortunately I think that method might be the way it goes in there if we get the go ahead. BTW, just above that benched area was a small cave/burrow on the left in the rocks, I didn't have a light to shine in there, but is that the area where you stashed the tools?

  34. #34
    Moist and Delicious
    Reputation: nasai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by wipp View Post
    Like I said; "impressive"! Unfortunately I think that method might be the way it goes in there if we get the go ahead. BTW, just above that benched area was a small cave/burrow on the left in the rocks, I didn't have a light to shine in there, but is that the area where you stashed the tools?
    Thanks for the kindness. It was brutal, I'll tell ya. As for the burrow, no. Actually, I never considered that anyone would go up there in the trees. This was before the area became a pay to use park, so there wasn't a lot of building going on, except for the northwest area..Crazy Ivan, and GS, etc. So, I never thought to hide them. They were up in the trees at the top of the hill, at the very northern end of the trail that I had finished. Oh well... it's only a few hundred bucks.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    244
    Those tools are my new mission. I WILL find those tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nasai View Post
    Thanks for the kindness. It was brutal, I'll tell ya. As for the burrow, no. Actually, I never considered that anyone would go up there in the trees. This was before the area became a pay to use park, so there wasn't a lot of building going on, except for the northwest area..Crazy Ivan, and GS, etc. So, I never thought to hide them. They were up in the trees at the top of the hill, at the very northern end of the trail that I had finished. Oh well... it's only a few hundred bucks.

  36. #36
    Moist and Delicious
    Reputation: nasai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by wipp View Post
    Those tools are my new mission. I WILL find those tools
    Would be nice. There are a few shovels, one bucket, a saw, 2 Pulaskis, 2 rakes, and a McLeod.

    *sigh*
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Similar Threads

  1. Mt. Si From Tokul East
    By Ladmo in forum Washington
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-29-2013, 05:49 PM
  2. Tokul East RR
    By Navigator in forum Washington
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-10-2013, 10:52 AM
  3. Tokul East GPS?
    By altezza2k2 in forum Washington
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2012, 05:47 PM
  4. Tokul East
    By innovator8 in forum Washington
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-29-2012, 08:44 AM
  5. Tokul East Update - 4/5/12
    By EvergreenStacy in forum Washington
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-11-2012, 02:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •