Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Building the Rock Trail @ East Tokul

I'd like to work on building a trail through the rock pile in East Tokul. I know there were some contacts that came up in a previous thread but my search skills are failing me today. Who do I contact about doing that? Is there any support behind that idea out there?

-Scott Wipp

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by wipp View Post
    I'd like to work on building a trail through the rock pile in East Tokul. I know there were some contacts that came up in a previous thread but my search skills are failing me today. Who do I contact about doing that? Is there any support behind that idea out there?

-Scott Wipp
    Some of the work is already done for you, no less. BTW, if you find tools up there, please let me know. I could never find them, and figured they were lifted or moved to mess with me. Thanks.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nasai and I have looked in there a few times and he started something in there about 2 years ago until his tool stash was pilfered. I am sure that Juice or Slop or ggluv will have something to say about any new stuff going in out there right now though....
    Would be really cool in a 'shore style sort of way to get something fun and challenging in there. Definitely odd and different that other terrain around here in the low lands.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I need a special decoder ring for all these names. I know I've ridden with Borneo on a Paradise ride a few weeks back. Woodway, I've ridden with a couple of times there off season before the orthopedic surgeon had their go at my feet with a bunch of Home Depot screw guns...

Anyway, it'd be great to get out there and hike/flag the existing work. Any chance to meet up out there for a Rock Trail Survey?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    A bunch of people have hiked that area and had ideas. One thing that looked very promising was to start the trail off the road, up at the highest elev point (safety first side). Nice 1-2% DH grade down through the clearcut to the tree stand where the rock spine is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. Without having actually ventured into the rocks there, my hope is to build a expert level downwardly trending tech trail. I did see some flagging on the east side of the spine/pile but nothing that was easily seen from the trail up above. Also, there was a joke a while back in another thread about bears in there...?

Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    A bunch of people have hiked that area and had ideas. One thing that looked very promising was to start the trail off the road, up at the highest elev point (safety first side). Nice 1-2% DH grade down through the clearcut to the tree stand where the rock spine is.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wipp View Post
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. Without having actually ventured into the rocks there, my hope is to build a expert level downwardly trending tech trail. I did see some flagging on the east side of the spine/pile but nothing that was easily seen from the trail up above. Also, there was a joke a while back in another thread about bears in there...?
    That was me. Just kidding. Maybe...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great. All I can see now is this big ass bear sleeping on a hord of stolen tools.

Justin Vander Pol
    We'll be getting some info out in the next few weeks about trail building on Hancock land. County rules state that you need a permit to build a trail, and Hancock is enforcing this rule on their land as of late. We have some ideas about how to facilitate this, but don't have anything nailed down as of yet, so all new trail building on Hancock land is in a holding pattern.

Wipp, give me a call or drop me an email. I'm serving as the point person for trail questions and issues on Hancock and can help fill in some of the context about getting trails approved by Hancock.

Speaking of the rock island, a few of us have had some ideas over the years and we walked a route through there a few months ago. It could be a fun, short little zone. The challenge is getting out of there since the Gun Range trail needs to be re-routed away from the no trespassing zone. It would make sense to tie into Gun Range.

There's a ton of swampy crap downhill from the rock area and in the spot where Gun Range could be rerouted and still have a reasonable amount of vert. I think it's doable with (massive amounts of) careful flagging and trail layout. It'll be a tricky one to flag. Bushwhacking will be required to know for sure if it's doable.

But that's putting the cart a bit before the horse. Next steps before we get anything new is to get over the trail permit hurdle. Glenn (Evergreen's Executive Director) has some ideas about how to solve this issue, but it'll take a bit more time and work.

Justin Vander Pol
    justin@vanderpol.org
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Ever any thoughts about cutting out the climb section of Dodgeball? Start the decent after Safety first but turn left before hitting the blackberries and catch the peak of the clearcut section. The climb is kind of a buzzkill for no gain.

Including Safety First, that decent would be longer than FT3K. And if a "Rock Trail" started in the same area as described, there would be two options potentially meeting below.

This came up looking at the Birds Eye View of the area on Bing. You can clearly see the Dodgeball Ribbon through the clearcut. Pretty cool.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, that did come up and I'm sure Nasai wouldn't care if it did get cut through as it's not very long to cut across from the old upper GR....

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Yeah, that did come up and I'm sure Nasai wouldn't care if it did get cut through as it's not very long to cut across from the old upper GR....
    Yeah, when I first built it, I wasn't interested in digging through tons of debris, so went to the fire road cul-de-sac and started there. Granted, after completing the thing, I almost went back and did the connector at top, but I was so burnt out. That top section took 2 months all by my lonesome, so I wasn't really interested...

Anyways, I have been meaning to go back there and do it, but I just haven't been compelled enough... that, or the rock pile. The tool thing totally bummed me out.

Besides, I don't "own" the trail, so do what you have to do if you want to connect it. I would just ask that you leave the little climb intact, because I like looping it 3 or 4 times and seeing if I can beat my descent times.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm planning to go up and poke around on the Rock Island with Pickles the bear killing dog Thursday evening @ 5:00 if anyone cares to join. No flagging or anything like that, just hike it and maybe place a rock cairn or two next to features that I think are noteworthy.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ride Bandwagon right next to it while you are at it since it probably needs more tires. I may be over that way on my full evening Tokul tour.

Just roll it......
    Permitting aside, to build on what JVP said about the swampy zones below the boulders, it wouldn't make sense to do additional flagging until Fall when all of the foliage is down and sight lines/scouting is significantly easier. I say that, of course, not knowing if that zone was clearcut as well.

EB

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    Permitting aside, to build on what JVP said about the swampy zones below the boulders, it wouldn't make sense to do additional flagging until Fall when all of the foliage is down and sight lines/scouting is significantly easier. I say that, of course, not knowing if that zone was clearcut as well.

EB
    This. The section I had flagged and was cutting (there is already maybe 500 feet up there, although probably has trees laying across now after the last few years) was only on the top middle section of that spine. I started on the south end of the rock pile and worked almost the entire length, across the top only. I was building a return XC trail to Bandwagon, but never built the switchbacks to the bottom on either side. That section across the top is a real b!tch too, because there doesn't seem to be any dirt anywhere. I was piling rocks and couldn't find any dirt for fill. Drove me nuts. Maybe another reason I didn't go back!

All said, what EB and JVP said makes a ton of sense. I'd use this season to finish the top section (once approval is received from Hancock, of course) and flag the other sections for when you can see stuff all the better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ride Bandwagon right next to it while you are at it since it probably needs more tires. I may be over that way on my full evening Tokul tour.
    I thinking that Bandwagon is not going to stick as a name and it's going to become Toilet Bowl.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    I thinking that Bandwagon is not going to stick as a name and it's going to become Toilet Bowl.
    In can throw the toilet bowl back over the side where it was when we built the trail if that helps...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Toilet synonyms: poo'er, epiphany, bathroom, outhouse, john, porcelain, think tank, oval office, long drop, denny, johnny on the spot, commode, sh*tter, head, throne

I kind of like 'The Epiphany Trail'. Maybe that's good for the rock trail since it's just below the Toilet after Bandwagon and some of it might be so difficult you'll likely have an Epiphany.

In can throw the toilet bowl back over the side where it was when we built the trail if that helps...

Jan 2004
    Building the Rock Trail @ East Tokul-img_1334.jpg

Technical Toilet Feature?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1334.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	805472

Technical Toilet Feature?
    No Flow.....

Jan 2004
    No Flow.....
    Well played, sir.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Now that's funny!

No Flow.....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Will be in the area this afternoon Wipp with ggluv and Enduro Doug I believe. Not sure where the wet area is that Juice speaks of as I think that's below the road which is below the rock pile and with lower Gun Range off limits now, not much point IMHO in heading down that way any more. Best option is on the other side of the road in the "Toilet Bowl" area. Some very cool woods in there and an area of exposed 'shore style rock as well. Good and mossy/greasy.....

mtbr member
    Looping that back to the top of Safety First would be the shizzle. I like loops.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast