Wierdo
    Dec 2005

Building Bridges in Paradise

We have permission to start work on the new bridge over a seasonally wet area at Paradise Valley. FM is leading the design and construction of this, and it's going to be a nice feature when completed.

Workparty posted on the Evergreen site for this sunday. We are going to be moving materials out to the worksite and can use some help.

Thanks in advance!

http://evergreenmtb.org/recreation/c...?event_id=7429

FM
    mtbr member

Got wood?

yep yep.... this will be a very cool section of trail! Natural split cedar decking with some rolly contours and turns to add interest. It may be over 100' when complete (we are building it in 2-3 sections to keep it manageable).

The goal for this weekend is to move pier blocks and other materials from the nearest trail intersection to the bridge site. I'll post back with some more details closer to the weekend.

Much Kudos to Woodway for sourcing the materials.
    We would really appreciate some help getting everything hauled in!

Here's some random picture stoke to give an idea of the kind of feature we are working towards.....

FM
    mtbr member

Bump Bump

Materials are on site and tools are packed. See you guys tomorrow!

See woodways link below for directions & details....

Wierdo
    Dec 2005

Wow

There were 15 of us total today, and we got a LOT of work done.

Once we got into the parking lot, we geared up and headed for the trail. First task was to haul 18 concrete pier blocks and four bags of quickcrete to the worksite. This was hard work - it's a pretty good walk from the base of the trail to the worksite.

Once that task was completed, we split into teams. Borneo started cutting stringers and Josh, Sean, Jeff, Kevin, Michael, Bob and Jason hauled the cut stringers up the trail to the worksite. FM and Peggy worked on placing the pier blocks. Doug and Chris grabbed the debarking tools and were busy stripping bark off the stringersas they arrived at the worksite. Everyone was busy!

Once we had enough stringers, Bob, Sean, Josh, Michael, Jason and Peggy went off in search of cedar to split for the bridge deck. Soon armfuls of freshly split cedar began arriving at the worksite.

The rest of us began the task of nailing the cross braces and arranging the stringers into the final location. We spent the last part of the day trimming and bolting everything together.

The last of us called it quits around 5:00 when it started to sprinkle. We completed the basic bridge framework today. It's completely bolted together and ready for decking. The construction is very durable and I expect this bridge to last a good many years. We finished a lot more today than I thought we would!

We are building this bridge in two sections. This section measured out at 85 feet. I'll estimate the next section will be about 40-50 feet in length. This is going to be one sweet bridge to ride when it is finished!

Look for a workparty next weekend to hunt and split more cedar and then to finish decking the bridge. A BIG thanks to everyone who came out and workd so hard today!

A few pics from the day:

Carrying stringers to the worksite:

It's not safe in these woods:

Scott and Peggy, the "footing kings":

Debarking logs:

Niiiiccceeee:

Jason's son got credit for five hours today:

The worksite was buzzing with activity:

Cedar decking, mmmm, cedar sure smells good:

Some guys are better at supervising:

Framework complete:

Looking from the other direction. Just needs decking:

mtbr member
    May 2007
    wait, WHAT??? This place is open (legally) now? Or is going to be? I live in woodinville, and have not been able to get a straight answer about this place...

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr123
    wait, WHAT??? This place is open (legally) now? Or is going to be? I live in woodinville, and have not been able to get a straight answer about this place...
    No, not open yet. But close. Check the Evergreen trail wiki. Evergreen has been working with Sno County for the last year to help facilitate opening.

Plenty of opportunities to help in the meantime. Borneo has a series of evening workparties planned for after the time change:

http://evergreenmtb.org/recreation/c...?event_id=7445
    http://evergreenmtb.org/recreation/c...?event_id=7446
    http://evergreenmtb.org/recreation/c...?event_id=7447

Plus I'll be posting another one this week to finish decking the bridge. Hope you can come out and lend a hand.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    yeah, I hope so too, Like I said, I live right next to it. Its nice to see it opening

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Stoked.

Maybe an after work cedar search and split one or two times this coming week in preparartion. Need to find bigger logs that are not rotted out in the middle.

mtbr member
    Holy smoke, what a crew; what a way to spend the day

Just roll it......
    Well done ya'll. That bridging looks super well done. Build it right and it'll last. Can one of you point me to a place to purchase that tool for de-barking trees? I'm gonna need one shortly.

Not to sell Westra out, but I ran into him riding on Galby today when we had a work party on Mullet. He was actually out riding his bike.......I thought he lived under the freeway??

Cheers,
    EB

JRA
    mtbr member
    My shoulders may never recover.

I5Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Well done ya'll. That bridging looks super well done. Build it right and it'll last. Can one of you point me to a place to purchase that tool for de-barking trees? I'm gonna need one shortly. Not to sell Westra out, but I ran into him riding on Galby today when we had a work party on Mullet. He was actually out riding his bike.......I thought he lived under the freeway?? Cheers, EB
    I manage to crawl out from under the Diversity St. Bridge once in a while. I think you're looking for 1 of these:

...Or a draw knife: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FOPZI2. They cost between $40 and $80.

I5Troll
    Wow! Awesome work everybody!!

Are those stringer logs Doug Fir? How long did it take to strip a ten footer?

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I bought my bark scraper here:

http://www.benmeadows.com/search/bar...sredirect=true

The stringers are mostly fir. Doug Carrol and Chris Newman did most of the scraping, I think that they could do a 10' log in about 10-15 minutes. The tripod that Doug lashed up to hold the logs made a huge difference.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway
    I bought my bark scraper here:

http://www.benmeadows.com/search/bar...sredirect=true

The stringers are mostly fir. Doug Carrol and Chris Newman did most of the scraping, I think that they could do a 10' log in about 10-15 minutes. The tripod that Doug lashed up to hold the logs made a huge difference.
    Perfect. That's what I was looking for....just ordered one.

Westra, the one man automated barking machine looks great, but I'm not sure how I'd haul that into the woods with me!

FM
    mtbr member
    Thanks for posting those pix! And thanks for everybodies hard work, I'm impressed we got all those materials on site.

The de-barker is really cool. Definitely something I'll take the time to do on any future wood projects- it's very quick work and you can really see how much water the bark holds.

This bridge is coming together quickly, soon we'll be on to the next portion....

Justin Vander Pol
    Those knifed fir stringers look great! Good work, y'all!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FM

This bridge is coming together quickly, soon we'll be on to the next portion....
    I'll get a bunch of 30" pieces for the curves staged along the trail this week. Wish me luck hunting. It's slim pickings out there. One of the best logs we found was actually the teeter log but that's sort of a sacred cow so hoping never to have to take from that. Still looking for that solid 2 footer.

Update edit: I couldn't wait. Here's over 45' end to end of 30" pieces requested I acquired from a reserve stash at home.With some split in narrower strip and the required gaps, should be quite a bit more and plenty for the curvy sections. Will clean it up and get it on site this week. http://evergreenmtb.org/img/upload/img09547.jpg
    Last edited by Borneo; 02-16-2009 at 04:06 PM.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    Update edit: I couldn't wait. Here's over 45' end to end of 30" pieces requested I acquired from a reserve stash at home.With some split in narrower strip and the required gaps, should be quite a bit more and plenty for the curvy sections. Will clean it up and get it on site this week. http://evergreenmtb.org/img/upload/img09547.jpg
    excellent! Keep us posted.
    My .02c, I'd keep 'em wide. After riding gargamel a few years back I'm a fan of big chunky rungs, even if it requires more of 'em. Hiker friendly too.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Nice work Borneo! Between these and what is already at the worksite, we may have enough to finish decking the phase 1 bridge. Let's coordinate getting them to the worksite - I'll bring the "little yellow machine" out again

FM
    mtbr member

more stoke

sorry for stoke overload
    Just DL'd from my camera....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Let me know if you want some help on an afternoon hauling those out to the site. Usually home ~3pm but could make earlier with notice and I live <1 mile from the woods. Would also like to know if that last log I found pans out.
    Sean_OS

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Possible good cedar at PCVA

Boreno

If you look east off of the trail between the Cathedral and Lloyd area before you get to the around the teeter area / south there is a snag at about a 40 degree angle to the ground that has been there for a long time that is cedar. I did not walk all the way back to the trail, but i think that you would be able to see it. I am not sure if it would be too sketchy to drop, but what I hacked into looked fairly solid, could not tell if the core was intact. If solid the log was maybe 18" diameter and 12 + feet and almost entirely off the ground. There was also a log on the ground that seemed to be burned out maybe 30 or so feet south east-ish of there.

With some advance warning I could be out for some 3:30ish help locating and hauling.

-Josh

Moss
    Dec 2005

A suggestion

It appears you are using fir logs for stringers. One might want to use an old Swedish method that my grandfather used in the early 1900's when joining two pieces of wood that might be subject to weather or wet conditions; that of using 30 wt roofing paper between two pieces of wood and or wood and stone supports that are going to be joined together. It prevents wood decay as my old barn can attest to.
    Jester

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the suggestion! We will give it a try.

Another workparty scheduled for saturday morning to finish decking this bridge, and start work on the phase 2 bridge. Whatever time you can put, short or long, is great with me. Any help is appreciated!

http://evergreenmtb.org/recreation/c...?event_id=7455

mtbr member
    May 2004

Additional materials on site.

And, being procured from the immediate area. Woodway may even let you bring a bike for "test riding" the finished product. Getting a group as big as last week's may allow completion of this project this Saturday and allow starting on other equally as fun and useful legal ones within the area.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    WOW. This has turned out to be one sweet ribbon of cedar!

After assembling at the parking lot, we grabbed tools, wheelbarrows, pier blocks and bags of quickcrete and treked up to the worksite. Once there, we broke up into teams and everyone got busy - nailing decking, cutting and carryng stringers, splitting cedar decking and stripping bark off stringers.

We finished decking the phase 1 bridge, and then completed almost the entire phase 2 bridge. Just a few more hours and she'll be completely done.

It rides really nice. One of the coolest things is that when you get onto the bridge from one side, you cannot see the other.

Big shout out to Jason who made a run to the hardware store for us when we ran out of nails. Also, Sean and Josh who hunted down and split enough cedar today that we have enough stored up now for a good start on the next project we take on. Plus Scott, the three Jeff's (Jeff M. Jeff B. Jeff O.), and the other Geoff, Marie, Brian and his daughter Natalie, Charlie, Walt, Justin, Amanda, Kevin and Mark. You all kicked butt today!

A few photos from today:

Juice stripping bark off a stringer:

FM hauling cedar:

Decking the bridge:

Hauling stringers:

Quality Assurance:

And more Quality Assurance:

Looking from the north end, the bridge bends left around the tree:

Drops back down and continues left:

Snakes back and forth and goes left again:

When you get on one end, you cannot see the other:

Looking back in the other direction:

Justin Vander Pol
    Great day out there. And props to Geoff+(Jeff*3) for making it easy to remember names today!

It's lookin' good, really good!
    Last edited by juice; 02-21-2009 at 09:07 PM.

FM
    mtbr member
    Thanks for posting those pix!

When building this bridge was first discussed, I figured it would be something that 4-5 of us would build over a six week period. Well, instead we had like 25 people helping and we got it done in two weeks!

Brian (aka woodway) has been the organizational hub, planning the work parties, working with the county and sourcing most of the hardware. Not just on this bridge but for PVCA as a whole. Nice going dude! we all owe you bigtime.
    Thanks to Borneo too, for running the saw and keeping us stocked up with cedar.

Was stoked to have some highlife crew/all-mountain gongshow buddies helping today too.

Getting done ahead of schedule means we can move on to other features soon....

Group Hug Participant
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Thanks for posting those pix!

When building this bridge was first discussed, I figured it would be something that 4-5 of us would build over a six week period. Well, instead we had like 25 people helping and we got it done in two weeks!

Brian (aka woodway) has been the organizational hub, planning the work parties, working with the county and sourcing most of the hardware. Not just on this bridge but for PVCA as a whole. Nice going dude! we all owe you bigtime.
    Thanks to Borneo too, for running the saw and keeping us stocked up with cedar.

Was stoked to have some highlife crew/all-mountain gongshow buddies helping today too.

Getting done ahead of schedule means we can move on to other features soon....
    Sweet! What kind of elevation gain we talking about? I know JVP busted out the cyclometer.

Oh yeah, my son want's to know wtf are your helmets?
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

Justin Vander Pol
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    Sweet! What kind of elevation gain we talking about? I know JVP busted out the cyclometer.

Oh yeah, my son want's to know wtf are your helmets?

Uh, don't you mean clinometer? You do know what a clino is, don't you? Next time doing trail work I'm going to force you to shoot every inch of trail with the clino. Clinometer is your friend!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Wow... in two weekends...

What great progress in such a short period of time. What a great group of folks to put in the time to make it happen. Like FM said, ahead of schedule, can’t wait to see what the next project brings. With what we have stashed we’ll have a great start and be able to pull together some excellent features.
    Thanks Brian – for all the work with the county and coordinating all these efforts.
    Sean

Group Hug Participant

Cut me off!

Quote Originally Posted by juice
    Uh, don't you mean clinometer? You do know what a clino is, don't you? Next time doing trail work I'm going to force you to shoot every inch of trail with the clino. Clinometer is your friend!
    No, I meant cyclometer. I want to know how fast and how many revolutions per minute one acheives while pedaling the entire length of said bridge. I'd also like to know one's resting heart rate after crossing said bridge.
    You bringing your clinometer tomorrow? I want to know the elevation at which my speed surpasses yours. Cheers!
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yeah, kudos to Brian for recruiting great crews and keeping the mo going on progress. Look forward to some great riding when it officially opens.

Just roll it......
    Killer work, ya'll!!

FM, that stache is out of hand. See you tomorrow!?!

EB

FM
    mtbr member
    FM, that stache is out of hand.
    It came with the van....

See you tomorrow!?!
    EB
    Didn't make it obviously... family day today.
    I do have about 2hrs free this afternnoon, going to help woodway put the fininshing touches on the last 20' section.
    hoping to make it up north for a ride/visit soon though!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Wwms?

What Would Mike Say?

Schweet!

(My 12 year old says it looks too wide...)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Awesome work and very cool to see the big numbers.

Paradise is turning out to be a real success story, still haven't ridden there, looking forward to getting out there someday.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Wierdo
    Dec 2005

Well, she's done

Scott, Doug and I put a few hours in today and finished the last section.

A few stats for those who care about such things:

28 pier blocks
    8 sacks of quickcrete
    14 crossmembers
    30 stringers
    A lot of split cedar (BIG shout out to Bob, Sean and Josh for the cedar)
    56 8" galvanized wood bolts
    4 big boxes of galvanized nails
    25 outstanding volunteers
    210 volunteer hours

It all adds up to 130 feet of cedar joy!

Except for the man-made stuff (pier blocks and such), and some cedar that Bob donated from his private stash, everything else was salvaged onsite.

Also a BIG THANKS to Snohomish County Parks for supporting us in building of this feature!

Here are a couple of vids of FM riding the bridge, once in each direction. Sorry about the quality, but you get the idea.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r3RdT5ELjZI&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r3RdT5ELjZI&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-DGp-CtBXM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-DGp-CtBXM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Next up, we are going to start talking to the County about a certain downed tree that will make a great log ride, and then we will move into the Lloyd loop and start rehabilitating the structures in there!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Outstanding...

Gotta finish the last items the County needs done to officially open. Will be nice to share the ride out here with others.
    Looking forward to the next building project.

Just roll it......
    Wow, nice to see that happen so quickly. Nicely done to those making it happen.

EB

Justin Vander Pol
    All the advocacy work that Jeff and Brian (and countless others) have done is about to pay off! Thanks guys!

Brian, what are the remaining items that need to be done before SnoCo opens the park to public use? We've got to be fairly close.

mtbr member
    May 2004

I can't speak for Brian...

But, if I recall it was pretty much simply getting the DNR crew back out for signage installation and one more new trail for us North of the plateau. We're waiting on them but we can assist as well.

I'll be doing a series of, "Getting to know you." rides out there for sure as soon as it's all legal and such.

Getting close. Can't wait to give Skooks a tour.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    The DNR crew wll be onsite for two weeks starting next week. Sign installation, mainline trail improvements and hopefully more new singletrack for us to ride!

I would expect opening shortly after the DNR crew finishes their work.

In talking to Chris and Regis (PVCA Park Planner and PVCA Park Ranger), they are both very eager to get the place open. Trails are in good shape, and with the evening workparties that Borneo has planned over the next few weeks, they should be buff by opening.

I'll post updates as I learn more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

I couldn't resist that which we have built...

Still heavy with the sweet smell of fresh split cedar... The hum of the tires on the decking, sold as a rock.
    This is going to last for years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWheels
    Still heavy with the sweet smell of fresh split cedar... The hum of the tires on the decking, sold as a rock.
    This is going to last for years.
    Very cool panoramic shot! Nice work

Looking forward to more building at PVCA soon

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Very nice Sean!

I'm working with the county to get our next set of projects lined up!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Panning picture of PVCA bridge

Have had a couple requests for larger copy of the panning shot of the bridge.
    That and some others from Day1 of building are posted at following:
    PVCA Building Bridges

"PVCAbridgePanningFull" is the big one, "PVCAbridgePanning" is the cropped version.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    When we held our first workparty to start the bridge, several people came upon the bridge site and asked "why are you building a bridge here?". I could understand the question since, at the time, the area was pretty dry.

I was on site today scouting for tomorrows workparty, and I took a run up the Lloyd trail to see how the bridge is holding up. Heres a few pics that I snapped. It's a little hard to see because of my crummy phone camera, but there is a foot or more of water under almost the entire length of the bridge. THAT'S why we built it where we did!

Don't forget official PVCA opening is on April 22nd:

http://evergreenmtb.org/recreation/c...?event_id=7510

Evergreen is holding their own PVCA re-opening celebration on Saturday the 25th. We have rides going off at 10:00. Post ride BBQ at noon courtesy of Evergreen! The Lunachix will be setup as well. Come on out and enjoy the fun!

http://evergreenmtb.org/recreation/c...?event_id=7509

Justin Vander Pol
    Very cool. Preventing erosion and increasing the fun factor!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Bridge(s) to nowhere

Near way point 7, this one is approx 12 inches of the ground maybe 15 ft long

Uphill
    four.jpg
    Downhill

three.jpg
    Near end of railroad grade, approx 18 inches of the ground 25 ft total length
    Downhill
    two.jpg
    Uphill

one.jpg

In the future a beginner log ride or two maybe in order, closer to the ground, wider flat.
    There are a few more suitable logs out there as well down by W.P.7

mtbr member
    rode that bridge today. Nice work boys!
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

Members who have read this thread: 1