Thread: BuDu Races

mtbr member

BuDu Races

I want it try my hand at racing this year because I never have. At first I planned to do the Tiger leg of the NW cup but turns out I'm gone that week.. Instead I signed up as a category 3 (beginner) competitor for the BuDu race 3/30 at Soaring Eagle park.

To be honest I'm kinda nervous! Is anyone going or has anyone done this? The site says the beginner event us estimated 40 minutes so can't be that bad right? Also that park doesn't have much elevation to it.
    GO COUGS
    GO HAWKS

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004

BuDu Races

I've done this one in the past, and may this year as well. I think it's a good course and venue for a first timer, as Budu tends to have relatively small fields, and it's a multi lap course. Do a lap of the course, get a good warm up, be cautious on the start and when passing and you'll have a good time.

mtbr member
    The best Budu race is Henry's Ridge May 18th. A lot of the XC racer type complain it is too technical, so its fun for regular trail riders! Not boring laps on double track and wide easy trails.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    I would agree Henry's ridge is more fun than soaring eagle, but not that it's more technical. I did both in 2012, and if anything Henry's was easier since it was drier, and it had more double track than soaring eagle. I would say Henry's is better because laps are longer and it has more vertical. The Black Diamond course was the most technical of the few Budu races I've done. I wish that had stayed on their schedule.

mtbr member
    I might be thinking of the black diamond course at Summit Ridge. I remember helping with it one year and there were lots of complaints, some legit ones though. There really wasn't many passing opportunities at the black diamond course. I think the Henry's course is more fun though. I like the elevation change and the descents that you dont really have at the other races.

All the races are fun, and it's amazing to see how fast some of the local riders are!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    All of the BuDu's are a good time. I think they do a great job setting courses that appeal to all riders, and have a pretty good variety throughout the season. My personal favorite is Ft. Ebey, which I think is mid-may this year. Ft. Ebey has the most vertical of any of the courses and has the widest variety of trails. I also really enjoyed Port Gamble this year, in spite of the weather.

Go in with zero expectations and you'll have a lot of fun. It's a pretty chill atmosphere and a great price point for a race.

bro not pro
    just go for it. and after the 2nd lap you find yourself lying down face first in the mud, totally bonked, being passed by 14 year-olds, consider yourself lucky to be here now, apart of the grand journey.
    G O N Z

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I wish there was big vert, hard races like there use to be. I can't bring myself to ride laps around the flat lands. I remember when they hard short track races on Saturday and full XC races on Sunday. Now our XC races are like the day before short track warm ups.

I also remember when they had ST, XC, DH and DS all in the same weekend at the same place.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbty View Post
    I wish there was big vert, hard races like there use to be. I can't bring myself to ride laps around the flat lands. I remember when they hard short track races on Saturday and full XC races on Sunday. Now our XC races are like the day before short track warm ups.

I also remember when they had ST, XC, DH and DS all in the same weekend at the same place.

And trials also. Snoqualmie was my favorite!!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Did you do it?

I'm promising myself Cookin' in the Kettles and Padden. Maybe some of the NW Epic stuff later in the season.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx