Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bobcat on Tiger Video

Caught this kitty on 4/20 at the bottom of Preston. For reference my dog, Pickles, walked into the frame at the end of the shot. Pickles is 62lbs and from my vantage point the cat was about the same size.

Tiger Mountain Big Cat - YouTube

Slothful dirt hippie
    Good on Pickles for standing whoa! My GSPs probably would have popped the clutch and burned off on it... which is why they've always got electric 'doggie be good collars' on when out in the woods, and I've used my share of Skin Bond after they've tangled up in brush or barbed wire on hounds.... *sigh*
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Last word is all yours...
    It's hard to see in the video, but from the size and the way it's walking, I don't think that's a bobcat. Bobcats are pretty little; I've had to chase them out of my neighbor's yard when they go after the chickens. Also, your cat looks like it has a lanky tail. Like a cougar... Of all the crazy places to see a cougar, I've actually seen one in Duthie (pre grand opening days). So as rare as they are to spot, they do show up in the wildest places. Lucky for you to get a good glimpse of one!
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I agree with r1de. We see bobcats in our neighborhood from time-to-time and they all have short tails. The cat in the video has a long tail and is bigger than the bobcats I have seen, just as r1de described. I also think you got a look at a cougar. Good that Pickles stayed close!

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    You guys must have much better eyes than I, because I can't see a tail in that picture for the life of me. I do see what _looks_ like a tail, but then it always turns out to be the back outline of the far rear leg.

Nonetheless, the reported size, the gait, and the coloring all support cougar.
    Rolland

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It does look more cougar than bobcat in the video. And yup, I'm glad Pickles stayed put!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    View the video full-screen and make sure you start the video again once you have it full-screen. Also, restart the video if it appears particularly grainy. The long tail can be seen before the cat turns to go up the logging road.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Crap! Looking at the original now and I see the tail. Glad I didn't use the human zoom to get in closer

Just roll it......
    Pretty small for a cougar though....are folks positive that bobcats can't have a tail?

I've seen them before, but can't recall if they did/didn't have them.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    Pretty small for a cougar though....are folks positive that bobcats can't have a tail?

I've seen them before, but can't recall if they did/didn't have them.
    Uhhhhhh.... I thought that's where the name came from, bobbed-tail-cat....
    They DEFINITELY have a stubby tail. Unless they're trying to pass as a cougar, in which case they've bleached off all the spots too.

mtbr member
    Hey guys,
    Ya that looks like a mountain lion (cougar) to me, had one run across the road right in front of me in Elma, Wa. it covered one lane of the road head to tail.

Yebo Numzaan
    sweet. looks bigger than any bobcat i have seen (including once on Tiger). What i saw had long hing legs / short front legs and a stumpy tail (saw something similar near home last week. It was also noticably ginger in color). The cat on the video didnt look too stressed.

would love to see a cougar.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Saw a cougar at Tokul a few years back, about the same distance away as in the video. Thankfully, it didn't stick around.

Yebo Numzaan
    After spotting a big cat near North Bend - what i thought was a cougar without a tail...the DNR ranger i spoke to that week told me it sounded like a Canadian Lynx. The size / body shape look pretty similar to what i saw...google it. Anyone seen one of these in WA?
    I support EMBA

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    After spotting a big cat near North Bend - what i thought was a cougar without a tail...the DNR ranger i spoke to that week told me it sounded like a Canadian Lynx. The size / body shape look pretty similar to what i saw...google it. Anyone seen one of these in WA?
    That pretty much explains what I thought I saw on Galbraith before.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    Anyone seen one of these in WA?
    Had one in my yard in Woodinville about six months ago.

STFU, Donny.
    Sep 2004
    That is not a cougar in the video. Without question, you will know a cougar when you see one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The mind is a slippery witness. iPhone video doesn't help.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by wipp View Post
    The mind is a slippery witness. iPhone video doesn't help.
    Well, one thing's for sure: Bigfoot is much blurrier, so it can't be that.

mtbr member
    Think I'd rather see that than the black bear I saw there last year...
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm going to head over to Tokul and see if Pickles I can catch some bigfoot vid. Weather is too nice.

mtbr member
    Funny,
    I saw a bobcat in that same area about ten years ago, and I ran into Pickles in that same area last spring (I was with my liver colored GSP Emma).

I always wonder what the dog comes across that I never see.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Cougars are everywhere around here. There are collared ones being tracked through Newcastle and Bellevue and into Renton. Your are being watched anytime you are on the trails by a cougar. You can be looking right at them and not see them. Next time you see a horse in the distance watch and see if they get agitated, they are better at spotting them than we are.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Does seaing wild life at Tiger or any other of the somewhat close in riding areas concern people? I once thought I saw a cougar at the bottom of preston so before proceding I paused a while then I did see a dear but still wonder if I did see a cougar. But I do believe wild life don't live long if they seek out confrontation so unless they are forced to defend themselves they in general will avoid humans. Wether that was bobcat or another small cat it was no cougar.

mtbr member
    No,
    One time outside of Buckley my dog had a run in with what I think was a coyote. She was 75' away in the thick bushes and came running out squealing like a pig. Nice bite on her side. We see coyote's there all the time. Spent many years as a climbing junkie in the Cascades and nothing ever bothered us outside of varmits sneaking into backpacks and the occasional bee nest. While on the E side, rattlesnakes do give me the willies though. One time in AK a moose was pretty freaky.

Last summer:

Dog demonstrating how she came out of bushes after encounter with probable coyote:

Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast