mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Black Diamond work party - bridge building, Sat Feb 20

On Saturday, 20 February we will be repairing and replacing bridges on the East side trails (Real Life Church property). At least 4 are hazardous and need immediate attention or the trail will need to be closed out of liability concerns (liability can exist in WA if the owner of the property knows of a man made hazard).

This can be a lot more fun than digging in the dirt so please come out and help!

We'll meet at the entrance to the RLC property across from the coal car on Hwy169.

If you have some experience with building structures please lob me an email so we know how many separate bridges we will be able to tackle at once. If you dont have any experience that's great too; you can get some here!

Please signup on the Evergreen site ( http://evergreenmtb.org/recreation/c...?event_id=8425 ) or just send me an email so we know how many people can be there.

Thanks,
    Glenn

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Awesome. I likes me some new bridges. I hope you can find some cedar on site to split instead of milled Hem/Fir.....
    No hauling in and will last longer.

Sweet
    It is really nice to see some love given to that area!
    I spent many, many hours helping out there in the beginning and it could use some attention.
    I am a Kitsap clone now, so my time is mostly across the bridge.
    More fun than an open casket funeral

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    if i dont work that weekend i'll definitely help out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey Borneo, nope no cedar available. This area was thinned a salvaged a little more than a year ago and anything of value was pulled. Dropping anything new is pretty much off limits right now too. So we're going with dimensional lumber; cedar that we're getting donated and craigslist purchase of discount material.

Court, yup I remember riding Lk Sawyer trails with you years ago ... we're trying to keep up the old neighborhood!

Glenn

mtbr member
    May 2004

You might get lucky.

Quite often one can find some big ol' cedars half buried or on the ground that have real good centers to them. EBx has a snout like a pig lookin' for truffles to find that stuff. It's usually out there. Most of that stuff never gets salvaged either. Crossing my fingers.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    Quite often one can find some big ol' cedars half buried or on the ground that have real good centers to them. EBx has a snout like a pig lookin' for truffles to find that stuff. It's usually out there. Most of that stuff never gets salvaged either. Crossing my fingers.
    Yep, it's amazing what was left laying around in the old logging days! Last summer, we found an old cedar that ended up supplying enough rungs for a 100 foot bridge and it's still got more usable wood.

mtbr member
    Any plans for a work party to repair bridges on the A.D.D./Bridges trail on the west side of the highway? Just last weekend, I was crossing a particularly rickety bridge on that trail and it partially collapsed. Still limping a bit from spraining my foot in the fall. I wasn't sure if those bridges have just been abandoned because of impending development, or if there's hope for rebuilding them soon.
    "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by A girl from Seattle
    those bridges have just been abandoned because of impending development,
    Pretty much.

if there's hope for rebuilding them soon.
    i would highly doubt it.

It IS in terrible shape, it is pretty sad...

The bright side is that there is a real effort to put in bridges that a group of mt. bikers are going to work on, instead of just a few. Bridges where more money is being spent which should ensure nice sturdy structures for years to come.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Any plans for a work party to repair bridges on the A.D.D./Bridges trail on the west side of the highway? Just last weekend, I was crossing a particularly rickety bridge on that trail and it partially collapsed. Still limping a bit from spraining my foot in the fall. I wasn't sure if those bridges have just been abandoned because of impending development, or if there's hope for rebuilding them soon.

It is really sad to see that trail dying but personally I can't get motivated to go in and repair when the whole thing is going to get buried by Yarrow Bay's development. Of course who knows when it will actually happen with this housing market. If I knew the area had a bunch of years left before the dozers come I'd be more interested.

Maybe time to start riding the east side trails? Hit Ed's Woods area, connect over to Henry's Ridge and then hit the church trails on the way out. Plenty of good mileage there!

Glenn

Justin Vander Pol
    Glenn, you rock! I can't make it out, but it's sooooooooooooooooooooo good to see some love go into that area, and the NLC trails get legitimized. Radness!
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If anyone is interested. I have some cedar logs here at the house. I fell the tree this winter because it was in danger of falling on the neighbors house. It is bucked into 8 foot lengths and I can load them onto a truck with the tractor.

mtbr member
    so was it you that helped clear the drop trails @ port gamble courtland? i heard they were torn out last week. liability, yes, but still fun. you never called me back about riding there and banner. How are you liking the riding in Kitsap dude?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Lee
    If anyone is interested. I have some cedar logs here at the house. I fell the tree this winter because it was in danger of falling on the neighbors house. It is bucked into 8 foot lengths and I can load them onto a truck with the tractor.
    PM sent

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey annaborate, did you reply to this old post because you live the the Maple Valley/ Black Diamonda area? If so and you want to get connected with our local trail crew let me know.

mtbr member
    That was a spambot...

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    I'm taking down my deck to make way for an addition to the house. All pressure treated 2x8 or 2x10s lengths of 10-16 feet. The wood is basically new and I'd be glad to donate to the cause if someone has a vehicle that can transport.
    -Nick

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Please contact Mike at EMBA directly.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.