mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Black Diamond Bear

Heads up anybody riding trails at Black Diamond. We watched a beautiful brown bear walk across the train tracks about 100 yards down from our group yesterday. I usually ride alone out there. Guess I need to make sure I make a lot of noise next time I go solo.

mtbr member
    A brown bear?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Black Diamond Bear

Brown-colored Black bear

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes it was a brown colored bear. Looked to be somewhat young, but appeared fat and well fed. It really was a beautiful animal. I took a pic on my phone. If I can figure out how to post it I will.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Black Diamond Bear

Just clarifying. Brown bear is actually the common name for a grizzly (also used for the very closely related Kodiak brown bear up north). Grizzly are pretty rare in WA, and wouldn't likely be this far down. They have the distinctive hump and wider face. See one of those near town = problem.

Black bears around here can have many colors: black, brown (cinnamon), golden, or even in rare cases, white. But they are all American black bears. See one of these, no biggie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I think there is a standing request to inform rangers of any suspected Grizzy sightings because it's not confirmed that they are really back here in WA

rock it up
    I ride out there alone as well. Interesting..... When I lived in AK, the old-timers seemed to be more concerned about black bear's lack of fear towards humans on average over Brownies. Maybe WA bears have different by-laws? hehe
    "We are the architects of our own fate right now. We're where we are because we deserve to be there"

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I spotted a brown colored "black bear" up off of Anaconda on a evening run before the 4th of July weekend. It has been spotted a number of times in the hood.

NW MTBER

momma +2

Saw a momma and 2 cubs on once upon a time about 2 weeks ago right at dusk. Momma just watched us for 5 minutes standing on a log while the cubs scrambled high into 2 trees right above her. My buddy saw 1 on route 66 the following week also. I feel lucky to live in such a beautiful spot. Black bear usually are much more interested in getting away from you than eating you thankfully! We also saw a porcupine right by Tahoma high school the other day on the way back from Black D...that one surprised me some.
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Maverick Durance

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Today out riding Main Line on the west side of 169 I ran across two cubs and their mom. I was just about to bomb down the hill when I spotted what I thought was a dog on the trail. I stopped realized it was a cub about 20 yards in front of me and immediately wondered where the mom was!! She popped out on the trail checking me out and I could see the other cub in the woods. Since mom did not run I made some noise and then all headed off into the woods. I waited a few minutes until I thought they were gone. Once I passed the place they were I could he a voice and a dog barking down by the creek. About 20 minutes later after riding Edís Woods I ran into a hiker with 4 dogs. She was the voice I heard and one of her boxers approached the bear and the bear reared up and took a swing at it. She said they all ran and she and her dogs crossed the creek. She said it was the first time in 20 years that she has seen a bear out there.

I didn't do it
    Cubs make me very, very nervous. Glad nobody got hut. I'm sure you were a little tense for awhile wondering where the momma bear and cubs went.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I was out there yesterday by myself. Surprised that it was pretty much empty in the parking areas.
    I saw the bear a week ago and made sure I rode loud yesterday. This time I never saw any wildlife. Still......

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    A bit more than when I saw the single bear at Henry's Ridge. I got REALLY tall and made a lot of noise.