swanny
    May 2012

Black Bear at Duthie

Just a heads up, saw a single adult black bear on Boot Camp yesterday around 12:30. It was at the top where you can enter the Boot Camp DH from the road. He was just roaming the bushes and trotted off when I told him to leave. I know bears are out there and it's there space to be anyway, but just be aware especially with kids in tow.

Other than the bear sighting, an eventful and enjoyable afternoon riding with the wife.

mtbr member
    Nice! I still haven't seen one out there, the Beav, Tiger, or GR. One of these day.... And hopefully the gopro is switched on.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Saw a mama bear with cubs the other day up by the PSE gas substation on Black Nugget in Issy. Probably 40 or 50 feet away with plenty of escape routes so I wasn't worried but my dog started barking and scared em off before I could take a picture. Another good reason to keep your dog on a leash out in the woods. Who knows what that lovable idiot would have done without a leash on. Although my girlfriend says the same thing about me...

EMBA Member
    I almost rammed a deer on step it up once. Scared me more than it scared the deer.

mtbr member

Black Bear at Duthie

I was at the park when the bear was spotted but wasn't lucky enough to it! My friend and I saw a fledgling owl on the ground though. He was chilling out on the ground near the DH trail that runs between boot camp and the dirt road that runs south to Issaquah-Preston road. He had a fringe of down along the top of his head but his flight feathers were ready to fly. Sorry for the blurry phone picture, if you look closely you can make out his outline and dark eyes. He tried to take off a couple times but wasn't strong enough.

We saw wood peckers and gold finches too. Nice to see some wild life so close in to the city. I'm happy to share it with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moist and Delicious
    Have seen a bear at Soaring Eagle and on the Middle Fork. Both times utterly scared the Bejezus out of me. YMMV.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    +2 for the deer, had close encounters twice now on Grand Ridge. They don't respect bear bells (had one on my bike at the time to ward off hikers).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hey guys, sorry I didn't have my dog on a leash. He's harmless i'm telling you. Just go about your day, it will be just fine.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Black Bear at Duthie

Saw a big mama and 2 really young cubs at Tokul East last week on the road going from bottom of middle Midtown back up to Ivan start. Cubs were playing on one side of the road and she was on the other side. I kept riding toward them and calmly shouting, hoping to convince them to move along down into the forest so I could get past, but she wasn't budging one bit and was pretty focused on me. I finally gave up and exited via lower Midtown.

Blacks are typically never a problem, but don't get between a mama and her cubs!

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhammer View Post
    ...My friend and I saw a fledgling owl on the ground though... He had a fringe of down along the top of his head but his flight feathers were ready to fly....
    FWIW young great horned owls are known to go on walkabout, and have even been seen using their (formidable!) beak and claws to clamber back up into trees before they can fly. The parents will still feed and protect them as they stroll around.

Great horned owls are kind of the honey badger of birds once they're full grown, so if you see a young one definitely keep an eye out for mom & dad. You'll survive getting clobbered by one but I'm told it's a memorable experience.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    I always wanted to see bear until I got within ten feet of one at Tiger a couple years ago. Had another close sighting at Sun Top last summer too. Those claws look a lot bigger in person!
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    There is a huge presence of wildlife out there, whenyou build u see it everyday. Building next to Boot Camp I witnessed countless times riders oblivious as they ride. I mean it's just normal. So really so many critters have seen you way more than you will see them. Which is pretty cool in that we can enjoy a place that serves as the home for em, and these places we enjoy and protect won't turn into a Wal-Mart or another McMansion.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Lost Valley trail at Capitol Forest. Have seen bear in that same general area three times in the past three years. Once right along side the trail, in a drainage, mama with two cubs playing and rolling around in the brush. About 20 feet from the trail. They looked at me, couldn't have cared less, and went right back to playing. I was torn between watching in amazement and immediately exiting the area. I opted for the latter.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    LOTS of bear scat on the roads out in Tokul West last evening. Some of it pretty fresh. Followed a bobcat up the access road for a while before it peeled down the old road bed to the left (down side) just before the sorta fixed sluff in the road. Looked real hard at first to see if there was a long tail just to be sure. Definitely a bobcat but a pretty good sized one.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This is some of what I love about mountain biking...we are on their turf!

I also saw a good sized black bear in Capital forest last week after work. Was chillen on the clearcut part of GL6 down of the peak. Ran off as I came flying into his zone!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I saw the black bear on the main duthie trail to the clearing on Friday. I thought it was a black lab at first