mtbr member
    Sep 2005

A bit confused re: tokul east

What's still rideable at east while the logging is going on? I've seen reports the logging has started but also reports from people still riding out there. Is it just flowtron, ogdh, and all the stuff east of flowtron?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Pretty much everything. Just some short re-routes for now. Once things get going, Ivan and Midtown will be problematic..

mtbr member
    We rode Ivan and Midtown Wednesday. You have to climb over logs to get to lower Ivan and the short climb on the 2nd section of midtown is gone but you can take the new "road" to a trail that is cut in at the start of the fun stuff.

We talked to a logger 2 weeks ago who said that now all the access roads are cut in and ready the logging machines will be in sometime in early to mid December. Basically any time now.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member

Re: A bit confused re: tokul east

We are heading up there tonight, hope the logging machines are not there yet!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Let me know what you find!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    We're going up as well -- hoping they haven't made a lot of progress yet...

mtbr member

Re: A bit confused re: tokul east

Well, I believe that tonight was the last time we will ride the mid section of midtown. As you come down the chute from the first leg, you will see clear cut. As we ride to the second leg, tree branches covered the first twenty feet of the trail, after that it was ok.
    Odds are, tomorrow, the second leg will be gone.
    We then rode up to second half of Ivan and that is also fine for now.

My group usually does that same loop, along with last part of goose chase. Looks like we are going to have to start expanding our repertoire, although I'm not sure what trails are on the chopping block.

Today I told them too bad the mtb community couldn't buy the trees that line the trails on either side and keep them up, crazy thought? I know...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The start of the 2nd leg has been cut for a while. If you take the new road just to the left of the trail entrance, it leads to the start of the downhill part.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    I know that, but they are cutting trees down there now, and that start of the down hill section at the end of the new road for the second leg is now covered with large branches from trees falling down near it.

I would bet that it the second part will be un-rideable after today or tomorrow.

mtbr member
    That sucks. Thats a fun little section too! I love that mid corner drop into steep berm section.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Glass half full...

Good news is that they are on it and we will be able to clear it quickly afterwards because they are really trying to keep the trails as clear as possible during cutting. Expect some Evergreen work parties to clear and re-grade post logging. Hoping that there are some huge "Galby style" turn outs to get that done quickly.

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    I'm the contact between Evergreen and Hancock. This week is when they expected to start logging, so they're right on schedule.

Upper Crazy Ivan, KGB and MidTown are the trails that will be impacted by logging. Lower Ivan won't be cut (the first 200 feet will be cut) since it's on different property. The last 1/3 of MidTown is right on the logging boundary, so it won't be rideable during logging, but may be easy to rebuild.

Hancock has worked with us to try and make the trails as easy to reopen as possible after logging. They market the trees along the trail and will high-stump those, and did their road alignments so they won't munch up huge sections of trail.

Logging will take about 2 months. After that the trail builders, with my help, will organize work parties to get the trails reopened. Hancock gave us a gate key for work parties, so we can get tools in and out.

During logging trucks will be driving the road past the top of flowtrown, down to the bottom of the powerline climb, and up the powerline roads. Logging trucks tend to go pretty fast, and the roads will get kinda nasty. During this time it's best to ride Tokul East after hours or weekends when trucks won't be on the roads.

Please stay well away from Ivan and MidTown until logging is complete. The loggers won't know you're there and trees could come down at any time!
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com