Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bike Recommendations for WA

1K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  GittinSkinny 
#1 ·
Looks like it's been awhile since anyone asked this and my girlfriend and I are talking about a 5 yr plan that includes moving to Seattle so she can work on her PhD at UW. While I've ridden all over the country, I've not made it to the PacNW yet. For most of my riding, which includes backcountry and endurance (12/24 hr, 50/100 milers, etc) here in the Southeast I'm quite happy with my Salsa Dos Niner and rigid WaltWorks. When I say backcountry, I include one of my favorite places to ride in that mix - Pisgah National Forest in NC.

While this move is still a ways off, I've not considered a new bike and will need to start my research and planning now for a new steed.

So what d'ya say? Is my Salsa enough or should I consider full squish? If FS, how much travel do you recommend and why? How is the 29er scene out there? Do shops carry 29er specific gear readily? Bear in mind, I MIGHT try some chutes and ladders stuff but I'd prefer to keep the wheels on the ground more oft than not!

Thanks for the input!

#2 ·
Hi Charles,

29er afficionado and former resident of NC here so I know what you mean when you mention Pisgah.

I spent the past three years riding a Mooto-X YBB out here which is as close to the Dos Niner as you can get. I used it for endurance racing, local rides, and in the backcountry. I thought it was perfect for most situations. That is, when I wasn't just goofing on my Kona singlespeed 29er.

I only just this past month added a FS 29er to the stable. Why did I do it? Well, some of the big mountain backcountry rides out here were proving a little much on that 1" soft-tail. They were doable, but they were a few that were a little less enjoyable. I was also starting to have to ride around a few of the drops on some of the local trails. And I wanted to start hitting more of the manmade features that are being built out here, and needed the slacker head-tube angle and additional travel to do it safely. Another reason for making the switch is that many of the premier "cross-country" races in British Columbia feature trails that beg for all-mountain bikes.

As for the 29er scene, you'll have no problem finding what you need either locally or electronically. And I suspect in 5 years, you'll have even less trouble. More and more 29ers have been showing up at group rides these past 2 years and I expect that trend to continue.

See you in 5.

#3 ·
EnduroDoug said:
Hi Charles,

29er afficionado and former resident of NC here so I know what you mean when you mention Pisgah.

I spent the past three years riding a Mooto-X YBB out here which is as close to the Dos Niner as you can get. I used it for endurance racing, local rides, and in the backcountry. I thought it was perfect for most situations. That is, when I wasn't just goofing on my Kona singlespeed 29er.

I only just this past month added a FS 29er to the stable. Why did I do it? Well, some of the big mountain backcountry rides out here were proving a little much on that 1" soft-tail. They were doable, but they were a few that were a little less enjoyable. I was also starting to have to ride around a few of the drops on some of the local trails. And I wanted to start hitting more of the manmade features that are being built out here, and needed the slacker head-tube angle and additional travel to do it safely. Another reason for making the switch is that many of the premier "cross-country" races in British Columbia feature trails that beg for all-mountain bikes.

As for the 29er scene, you'll have no problem finding what you need either locally or electronically. And I suspect in 5 years, you'll have even less trouble. More and more 29ers have been showing up at group rides these past 2 years and I expect that trend to continue.

See you in 5.
Awesome! thanks! Hey, could be sooner than 5-- was looking at airfare this morning between ATL and Seattle and it ain't too bad. Plus, we're toying with the idea of a honeymoon out there. I've been told never to go visit the PacNW because I won't come home!

So what bike did you go with?

Thanks again!

#4 ·
k2biker said:
I've been told never to go visit the PacNW because I won't come home!

So what bike did you go with?

Thanks again!
LOL! That's what happened to me. Came out on a couple biz trips as a freelancer and called my wife to say I wasn't coming home after the third one. We moved out 30 days later.

I ended up getting the Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29er. It's a 5.5" travel bike and is really soaking up some of the drops I've been avoiding on the Moots. I wouldn't use it for endurance racing, but I suspect it will be a fantastic all-mountain toy and pretty fun for the low-level TTFs at places like Duthie Hill.

#6 ·
Don't visit PacNW in the summer. There's no better place. Especially coming from Hotlanta.

I ride a 4" FS bike, full rigid 29-er, and just now put together a steel HT with 125mm fork. They all work pretty good out here. And folks ride everything smaller and bigger. Lots of good riding. Lots of varied stuff.

I think a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR works very well as a swiss army knife of aggressive XC riding.

#7 ·
k2biker said:
Looks like it's been awhile since anyone asked this and my girlfriend and I are talking about a 5 yr plan that includes moving to Seattle so she can work on her PhD at UW. While I've ridden all over the country, I've not made it to the PacNW yet. For most of my riding, which includes backcountry and endurance (12/24 hr, 50/100 milers, etc) here in the Southeast I'm quite happy with my Salsa Dos Niner and rigid WaltWorks. When I say backcountry, I include one of my favorite places to ride in that mix - Pisgah National Forest in NC.

While this move is still a ways off, I've not considered a new bike and will need to start my research and planning now for a new steed.

So what d'ya say? Is my Salsa enough or should I consider full squish? If FS, how much travel do you recommend and why? How is the 29er scene out there? Do shops carry 29er specific gear readily? Bear in mind, I MIGHT try some chutes and ladders stuff but I'd prefer to keep the wheels on the ground more oft than not!

Thanks for the input!
The bikes you have will work fine. There is a wide variety of trails and terrain and most of it can enjoyed on a rigid bike.

#8 ·
Thanks guys! Yea, I hear ya about not visiting in summer, my GF swears it doesn't rain ALL the time bu that it's just overcast and misty more oft than not. I know it's all perspective but I don't function well without sunshine. Our winter here this year is the worst I've had since I was in CT -- BLAH!!! Overcast, dreary, gray, wet, YUK! The sun came out yesterday and I asked for the day off! Thankfully boss is a MTB'er so she would've understood!

#9 ·
My sister moved to GA about 10 yrs ago. She is now in FL. She misses everything about the PNW except the dreary winters. 3 mos of not seeing the sun... Although this winter, it seems it's been warmer than GA!

HOWEVER. You just need to ski or snowboard as we've got several nice ski areas within striking distance. Plus, pick up some wamer clothing and lights and ride through the winter. I just did a ride with some buddies last night at a local trail (Tolt MacDonald). Nothing like hitting diagonal, wet, tree roots at night in the wet to get your reflexes sharp!

The summers are incredible. 70s, no humidity and daylight until almost 10pm! Even if it gets up into the 80s and even 90s, it gets below 70 overnight.

#10 ·
Probably shouldn't let the secret out, but every couple years you can count on an El Nino winter pulling the crap south to California and leaving us unseasonably warm and dry. Just today I went runnnig in shorts and t-shirt and it's pretty sunny out. Haven't really had a case of the "Seattle Greys" in quite a while.

I happily tolerate 5 months of drizzle and gray in exchange for the 4 months of sunshine we get.

#11 ·
I do like skiing - both DH and XC. I already have the cold weather gear and lights-- remember, we do get snow and ice in ATL!

So here's the deal...you're not selling me! 70 degree highs in the SUMMER? WHAT? BRrrrrr

4 months of sunshine? Now granted, we ain't no sunny SoCal but despite our current weather pattern -- which BTW, you guys can have back -- I like sunshine. Our current forecasts are 2 days rain (like 2-3") then 2 days sunny, 2 days rain, 2 days sun......I've been patient with it but now I'm over it. It's been like this for a couple months now.

Wait wait...I get it....THAT'S your plan -- turn me off so no more move out there! Yea, we tried that philosophy here in the South pushing the heat and humidity and folks still move here in droves.

Really? 4 months of sunshine and 70 degree summers? You're kidding...please tell me your kidding....

#14 ·
k2biker said:
Thanks guys! Yea, I hear ya about not visiting in summer, my GF swears it doesn't rain ALL the time bu that it's just overcast and misty more oft than not. I know it's all perspective but I don't function well without sunshine. Our winter here this year is the worst I've had since I was in CT -- BLAH!!! Overcast, dreary, gray, wet, YUK! The sun came out yesterday and I asked for the day off! Thankfully boss is a MTB'er so she would've understood!
Don't move here, you will be miserable. I'm not kidding. :nono:

#15 ·
I didn't realize this was about selling you on moving here. It's wet, gray, and we have moderate temps a big chunk of the year. If that's not gonna work for you (it doesn't for a lot of folks), then you really should consider living somewhere else.

If, however, you like to ride your bike all year, having skiing within 2 hours and have a good inventory of trails within an hour, then it might be for you. I spend most of my winters building (when it's too sloppy to ride), so I view the winter as a good time to create killer trails and hang with the crew.

EB

#18 ·
ok guys here is my thoughts. Born and raised north of Bellingham across the border. I have no idea what these guys are talking about when it comes to getting depressed in the winter. I might be the fact that I know no different. Grey skys and rain is what winter is all about. When you go for rides in the winter you don't dress to stay dry, you dress to stay warm.

With that being said, I'm packing my stuff you go for a ride it shorts and a short sleeved shirt..I may bring a wind breaker along for the ride down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.