mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Bike Maintenance classes

I'll admit I am fairly new to MTB got my first mountain Bike a few months ago. At 40 now my last bike was racing BMX in the 80's. The bike Technology has changed immensely and if I knew then what I knew now I would have started riding 20 years ago. This is the funnest sport I've ever gotten into.

That being said now invested well over a couple grand easy in my new bike. I would like to learn more about it. I bought a good book on the subject, read it and have watched youtube videos but I am a very hands on learner and I have to physically do it to learn it.

So, any classes that teach MTB maintenece in the Seattle area?

Thanks in advance

I didn't do it
    I think REI has some classes. But you should try self teaching. There's a lot of good advice on the interwebs and in print. Start small, get some confidence and keep going. I find bike maintenance to be pretty fun and the trial and error gives you good insight into what works and what doesn't.

Go to book: Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance: Lennard Zinn, Todd Telander: 9781934030592: Amazon.com: Books

One of many good online resources: Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog

Ride on
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Fat-tired Roadie
    Since you're in Seattle, check out Wright Brothers Cycle Works. http://www.wrightbrotherscycleworks.com/

I'd been working on my bikes for a while before I moved to Seattle, so I haven't taken any of their classes. But a $30 membership gets you access to their community shop space and you can always ask questions when you're there.

Not sure if they can help you with the hydraulic systems. But mountain bikes are really still mostly mechanical.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks guys, much appreciated....I agree a lot of it is trial and error but a novice working on a expensive bike can be intimidating. You don't want to ruin any expensive components. I can fix flats and all that stuff but learning how to do things like adjust derailleurs on the trails can be useful to a newbie.

I actually own that book and have watched vids, but like I said. I am a hand on I gotta touch it kind of a learner which is why I'd rather take a class.

EMBA Member
    Zinn's book is great. You know if you screw something up, your LBS would probably fix it for you. But not before you take a bunch of crap. But just get in there and do it if you feel like it. If not, it's $$$ well spent to have a good shop do it. Slim

EMBA Member
    IMO, the first thing to buy is a good bike stand. Makes a huge difference in the entire maintenance process. For a while, what you spend on tools will be made up by what you don't spend on labor. Beyond that, it's money in your pocket.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    I second the earlier suggestion of going to Wright Brothers. Charles is a great teacher, and a non-BS'er as well.

Also, as said by another poster if you want to work on your bike get a real work stand, or make one that does the job. My stand has done me wonders, and when I find myself at work or somewhere else I have to improvise. Having the bike stable and in a fixed position is paramount to getting good adjustments done on several components, like brakes for starters.

Good luck, and it sure is nice to see someone wanting to wrench on their own bike!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

EMBA Member
    Yep, A bike stand is definitely worth the money. Amazon also sells some that don't cost quite as much but be sure to check the review. Some you have to take with a grain of salt but you can usually tell the BS ones. Slim

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Recycled also offers classes. I took their basic Park Tool School last year and thought it was money well spent;
    Recycled Cycles | Seattle's Used Bike Shop | Recycled Cycles Classes

El Malo
    Honestly, the best advice I can give after you've seen some hhhhhhandsome ex-mountainbiker speak about Bike Maintenance Basics is to educate yourself by reading and watching DYI's to grasp the principle; then, dive-in and get working so that you can learn by making mistakes and experiencing vélo dynamics first hand.
    Hasta la pasta ...
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "