Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Big Finn Hill Vandalism

Sunday afternoon a booby trap was discovered in the park about 30 feet uphill from the big rock. There has been one report of a small child going over the bars due to this and it needs to stop.

Below is a picture of the trap after it was cleaned out of the loose leaves and small sticks.
    Name:  Trap2.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  136.8 KB
    Name:  Trap1.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  126.1 KB

This was done between Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon. If you were in the park during that time and have any information about someone with tools or looking as if they had been moving dirt, please speak up.

mtbr member
    Sigh, that is sooo weak.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have to assume you mean its weak that someone would do this, not that its a weak to have a complaint with people doing it.

mtbr member
    Errr yeah, I mean who would support something like digging holes to hurt people? Geez....

I'll be at St. Ed's working on my trail later this week, I'll keep my eye out while I'm there and if I take a quick spin at Finn afterwards.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    This kind of **** pops up every once in a while. I remember when someone had strung fishing line across the trail at neck-level at the Worm a couple years back, or a sharpened stick pointed into the trail.

The level of effort put into this pit is pretty amazing, that took some dedication to a f-d up cause.

People suck. Hope they get caught.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Not an easy task to figure out who it was, but raising awareness can help and I would love to know who did it. Its just amazing to think someone would be willing to put others at risk for serious injury like this. Criminal.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Did you tell the county?
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    I passed the info on to Moe at St. Eds too, so his guys can keep an eye on the trails on that side.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am part of the big Finn hill trail planning committee and meet with king county guys weekly. they have been notified. it will be interesting to see what they have to say about it.
    Last edited by fluxcapacitor; 03-04-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sad.

mtbr member
    Whatever the flux capacitor says (frightens and more pi__es me off). Go Flux!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Len, I was just telling Flux about the time we found the sheet rock screws and nails in the small branches and twigs looking like Jacks out at PVCA when you got that double flat. About a dozen or so strewn out on the trail.

Some people... Arrrgh.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Fixed it up last night...now on to catching the tool who did it.

Name:  fix2.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  156.9 KB

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    It would have been nice to have set of rolling doubles there.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Agreed Eerie, but considering the vandalism was most likely done by someone that has issues with bikes AND the entire park network under review to improve it...I would consider this the best solution for now. Hopefully who ever is responsible doesnt keep going with their destruction.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was just some kids. My cousins and I used to build pits like that for our parents to fall into in the back yard. Somehow they always knew they were there. :-)

Regardless though, that's pretty dangerous.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I would be very surprised if it was kids. kids are more likely to spend time building small jumps out forts, not something vindictive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    An argument for the sake of arguing:
    I am aware, having spoken to countless walkers at St. Eddies, that hikers feel equally and similarly aggravated about the deep pits that are found by all of the "jumps" out there. The funny thing is that some of the pits are really shoddily covered or filled to disguise them...or something.
    I met one poor, sweet older woman who injured herself from falling into one while walking with family one evening. Needless to say, where she once appreciated the presence of mountain bikes there, her opinion is diminished.
    The relationship between bikers and walkers seems to be diminshing out there. I enjoy riding there a couple times a week but am finding myself more and more concerned about the future if things continue on the current path.

Having said all of this, I feel the need to clarify that I think that the person who dug the pits pictured above has escalated way beyond what is reasonable.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I agree that borrow pits are an issue and its basically up to all of us to curb those actions by giving people what they want so they dont go build it in a rogue fashion. Lets be clear about the damage that is being discussed...it was by no means a borrow pit. I believe that there is certainly friction between hikers and bikers and we are working to resolve those issues. I know for a fact that there are a few people that dont like bikes and actively work to undo anything that might be considered a bike feature but to take things to a level to try to hurt people, regardless of their use (hikers, runners, or bikers) is simply not right. Like I said, we are working toward a solution for everyone and one of the small things we as a bike community can do is to educate people on proper etiquette and rules of the park.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Rode there Saturday from noon till about 1:30. More or less the whole park. I didn't notice that pit but than again I usually fly over all that stuff pretty quickly so maybe I just didn't see it.

Regardless, there weren't any suspicious looking people on the trails. A bunch of hikers with kids and stuff but no one that caught my attention. Shitty to see people would go to this level... but than again I've met some hikers that despise bikers so not too surprised.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Jalm, I was out on saturday as well and rode through this exact spot but it was not there. Also, it rained pretty hard most of saturday and into the night. This pit was dug on sunday before 1, made obvious by the scattered dirt resting on top of the leaves and it had not been washed by rain. I was back out again on sunday and discovered it around 2.

Not doubting your skills to fly over stuff, but to be clear about the scope of this trap, i was flying through that section and barely had time to manual over it only to have my back wheel get hung up enough to buck me pretty good. had i not noticed it, i certainly would have been sent over the bars like the kid earlier in the day had.

again, like you said...lame that people are so inconsiderate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This stuff used to happen to us when I lived and rode in the SF, Bay Area. We had a wave of booby traps set by a particular disgruntled hiker whose name should never be mentioned in forums (MV). This guy eventually went to court on assault charges, but if I remember correctly, the thing that got him out of our trails was a couple of small articles published in local news papers that recognized the potential harm that could come to all users by such booby traps.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    thank you for not mentioning his name. he deserves no more notoriety than he already has. hopefully we can get a handle on this type of behavior before someone gets hurt.

mtbr member
    MV finally got what he had coming to him. Such a miserable person, to say the least. Maybe Tfitz needs to start a weekly round of the park to stop this S*** from happening.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    i believe he and a group of guys already do that, every weekend they do a two and a half hour ride and hit most of the park...those old guys are TOUGH!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast