EMBA Member
    Oct 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Big Finn Hill Jumps

This is a public service announcement to let folks know about the small clearing in Big Finn Hill that had a couple of small jumps with borrow pits next to them, they have been removed and backfilled with ferns.

The work was done by WTA with King County Parks approval. They've done a really good job, but in the plan that has been worked on for more than a year, we were going to rebuild the jumps in this clearing so that the borrow pits were removed and the run out for the jumps didn't direct people into an intersection.

The timing of this isn't quite what we had in mind. We really wanted to remove and rebuild all at once, but things don't always go as planned.

We WILL rebuild the jumps within the area, but the BFH Crew is asking everyone who uses the park to please be patient.

We've spent hundreds of hours in planning to make this little gem of a park better and I would hate to see WTA's work get destroyed as it puts us in a bad spot. Bikers will get the blame.

If you hear anyone talking about it who is frustrated and wants to take it out on the ferns, please pass on our word that they will be rebuilt, but it's going to take some time.

As soon as we can we'll post work parties here and on the EMBA calendar.

Thank you for your cooperation and if anyone wants to hear details of the plan over a beer and/or join our local team, shoot us an email at bigfinnhill@evergreenmtb.org.

Thanks,

Troy

mtbr member
    Are these the ones near the new trail over the downed log, or the ones at the top of the hill?

Either way, thank you so much for taking the time to make sure something bike related replaces those. They aren't (weren't) the best by any means, but anything at the local trails is most welcome. Hoping that in a couple more months the doctor clears me to throw some dirt, would love to come help rebuild those if I can.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Must have been done today cuz they were there last night. Just something wrong about WTA getting to take out jumps. They must have been giddy.

Hey, while I'm here. I'm wondering about the placement of several drain pits. There a couple corners that are angled downhill AND have drain pits dug at the apex of the turn. Is there another solution that can be used? The corner in particular is on the trail that heads left from the new kiosk after crossing the street.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I second what kasperilio has said, and I will emphasize the importance of spreading the word that with time we will have a much better replacement for what was there provided we as a responsible biking community have a little patience.

Tarekith - it was the small clearing that had the two side by side jumps

Eerie - I hear ya, man. Its not always optimal to put a drain in locations as you mention, but in this case the apex of the turn happens to have been laid out such that it is at the low spot. Unfortunate and something I consider it every time I clear those drains, walk past them, or ride them. I do have a couple ideas to address this issue and I am always open to suggestions or other points of view...which is a great segue back to kasperilios comment about beer (sorry for the hi-jack)...I am game for a rant/rave/problem solving beer excursion. When and where?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    How did I miss 'beer' in kasperilio's announcement?! I'm in for that. Email sent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    To third what fluxcapacitor and kasperilio said, we're doing everything we can to rebuild the jumps as soon as possible. Please help spread the word to be patient, that good biking things are coming to BFH soon, and we'll post here when the next work parties are scheduled.

BTW, to briefly introduce myself to the WA forums, I'm a BFH local and I worked with kasperilio, fluxcapacitor, king county, and many others to create the new trails plan.

Looking forward to building a bike-tastic BFH.

mtbr member
    thanks for all you guys' hard work on bfh related activities - conversations, negotiations and trails alike. i'm going to guess the actual trail work pales in comparison to the time spent getting buy-off and finalizing plans.

and yes, please post work parties as soon as you know them!

i just moved to the neighborhood and on my first ride of my (new) home course, i was happy to see the magic log revision and the switchbacks you guys are talking about with the drainage (i get that the drains aren't perfect, but i'd rather have trails that drain right and are pretty darn good to ride than trails that are swamps most of the time and perfect for only a few days of the year. just think about how far trail engineering has come in recent years)

thanks, guys. mad props.
    :: hf ::

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Are we talking group beer? I'm up for that e-mail sent.
    I ride Big Fin a lot as it's close to home and it's a great place to peddle by myself after work.
    I'm really enjoying the work that has gone in here. Very quality.
    Hopefully some of that quality can go into the future rebuilds at Tokul!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quick update:
    There is currently work being done on the east side of the park. This includes a reroute of the fall line trail leading south (down to the bridge over the creek) from between the lacrosse field and baseball field. Same rules apply as before...patience.

For now, since the WTA has had work parties everyday since the 28th (and will finish up tomorrow, Feb 1st), please don't be surprised to find areas that have changed. We have a solid plan in place and don't expect that the WTA work parties will disrupt that so long as there is no retaliation. As mentioned, there is a work party going on now, and another tomorrow. Use caution out there, and if you run into them please be courteous and remember to thank them. Lets save the concerns for conversation over those frothy beers!