JRA
    mtbr member

"Best" Winter Cycling Shoe?

Wondering what the opinion is on "best" cycling shoe for PNW soggy winters? Maybe nothing is truly waterproof but what holds up the best, especially ones where you're down in your 24" gear combo (ie walking).

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    More of a boot than a shoe...

Shimano MT91: Gore-Tex, Vibram sole, SPD compatible.

For some stupid reason, Shimano doesn't sell them in North America, so you can feel totally guilt free getting them from CRC for a screaming deal. Currently $166.30 with free shipping to the US. I'd grab that booty...

mtbr member
    My 5.10 Impacts with a pair of wool socks works fine for just about winter temps I've ridden in, even back in Chicago where I used to live.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    I'm currently really loving the new Specialized Defroster. They are incredibly comfortable and full waterproof. They kept me toasty warm and dry last night...

We hiked 1.5 miles in the wet heavy snow, I stepped in a ton of puddles and it rained the whole time. 2 hours later back at the car my socks were still dry.

Justin Vander Pol
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    My 5.10 Impacts with a pair of wool socks works fine for just about winter temps I've ridden in, even back in Chicago where I used to live.
    +1
    My feet always got cold and numb in any kind of clipless shoe. Maybe the stiffness? Not sure why, but five.ten impacts on flat pedals keep me happy in winter. Also easier for hike-a-bike in "low gear" on the winter singlespeed
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    They don't get slippery when they get wet either.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Mr. Lynch, where is that?

+1 on 5.10s. I've been pairing them up with sealskins and thin wool socks.

mtbr member
    Thats the 2.5 mile mark on the road up Tiger Mountain. The singletrack trails may be closed, but the roads are open year round and we wanted to play in the snow and it is much closer than the pass! We turned around at that point and road back down. It was too deep to ride until we got back down to around the 2 mile marker. We left a car at the east gate and were hoping to do a big road loop and get some snow riding in and some good exercise. We expected snow, but not that much. It is a fun loop to do with a few inches of snow and the wide roads make for interesting riding without fear of sliding off a hillside.

I was wearing Specialized Defroster shoes and the other two had Lake LX140 shoes. All of us had dry feet even though it was raining hard down low, and we walked in deep wet snow up higher.

I just got goth served!
    I just ride in Uggs.
    insert witty comment here

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I wear a regular shoe oversized to permit 2 pairs of wool socks. Follow that with the thickest neoprene over booties you can get. Finally put on some waterproof gaiters to protect the top of your feet, ankles, and lower legs. I have never had cold feet with this set up. Keeping feet completely dry is usually not possible if it is really wet out or if you go wading. You either get wet from the outside or the inside.