Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best of Tokul West Video

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  mbcracken 
#1 ·
A beautiful Sunday afternoon at Tokul West on the big Tour. 16.7 miles with 1800ft of vertical over 2:07 moving time. Of course we saw ZERO other riders, nor hikers, nor horseys. Like a Country Club.

Same path as I posted a few weeks ago with a minor alteration. Trails are slightly dusty in the trees and moreso in the clearcut. I do not recommend Full Bench right now as it is 80% overgrown. Briefly, Full Bench, Poopy D, Bypass, Pink Ribbon, Beaver Pond, Steakhouse, Outhouse, BonHouse, BonBon, Upper/Lower Out Back, Middle, Bobsled.

I forgot to turn the camera on for Poopy. BTW, there are 3 DH turns on Poopy where the dry conditions and short site-lines make a controlled turn impossible without skidding. I almost blew right through the first one and the other two are on steeper approaches. FYI

The helmet cam footage came out pretty sweet so I decided to do a compilation. Sorry if you don't like the music but I just grabbed the right length stock piece from Vimeo's collection. It's actually not bad and the section from outback to middle to Bobsled look FAST! Enjoy.

http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/350831734

See less See more
#4 ·
Hoping Poopy gets opened up a little more soon and with more use. Lots of people blow through the first one so that's an indicator... :)

Edit: the first section is a spur off Pink Ribbon Bypass and not actually PR. It eventually will connect across to Beaver Pond trail and in true TW form will be a compilation of the two trail names. You figure it out. ;) Let say that "Ribbon Pond" doesn't sound all that good...

#5 ·
Nice! We probably just missed you out there on Sunday. I rarely ride the Tokuls in summer, hadn't been there in 3 months. Were were on a short timeline so did a morning combo run. Started at East, hit Flowtron to see how it's holding up, then Spike to Bon Bon, Outhouse, Outback, Middle, Beaver Pond. Fun ride!

Flowtron is brushy right now. It would be greatly appreciate if someone brought hand clippers out there and trimmed back the 4 blackberry vines that are whacking riders. The builders will probably brush it out with machetes and deathsticks next time we're back there... in several months. The other brush was easier to ignore since it didn't draw blood.

This was my first time on Beaver Pond since they cut it. It's running nice, but feels kind of like riding in Wenatchee with dusty loose soil. Same with Flowtron. I thought they'd turn to marbles, but they turned to powder. Beaver isn't overgrown like Flowtron is, so it's a great run, though a bit hard to see upcoming corners with the low brush.

#9 ·
That's quite an exploratory route. Some things to note for next time.

- Your climbed up the road "2" that Beaver Pond bottoms out at. If you climb Bobsled "16" or the road just North of it you can approach Beaver Pond from the top for a killer descent, then climb "2". On the Sat Map above you can see the Beaver Pond Trail connecting where you first turn onto the road before "2".

- there are trails to connect "2" up to the next road that dumps out near "3".

- You can ride all the way from "5" via trail/road to Golden Spike Trail to cross to Tokul East.

- It looks like you found Middle but missed Poopy D which is just after middle but well before you get to "13".

Good luck next time.

#10 ·
Yea we were kinda moping around. After 18 miles and thunder all around us we figured it was time to bail but I wanted to do more trails on the bottom. Found full bench but decided to head back and do middle instead, I did see Poopy D sign, will do next time. I think we rode almost everything there is up top (upper outback, etc), next time I'll explore more of the lower trails. Does anyone know how epic Kamikaze and Clear cut are? Full on DH?

#12 ·
Kamikaze is grown over but we will be rebuilding it this fall/winter. Clear cut is open but not really worth riding (overgrown, hike a bike, private property). Also hope to add some more stuff in the beaver pond clear cut. You also missed some fun trails southeast of BP (pink ribbon, PR bumps, and pink beaver).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.