mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Best Squamish Trails?

I'm heading up to shoot an event in Squamish weekend after next Britannia Classic
    and will have some down time for riding. All I've ridden there so far is Half and Full Nelson, Angry Midget (awesome name and trail) and a couple of the trails that come off of Half Nelson. Anyone have a must do list?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Best Squamish Trails?

Buy the trail map app and just go explore. It's hard to go wrong there.

Everything above the university is good, and the bluffs can be neat.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    True, there is so much riding there, hard to go wrong!

My favorite riding is all around alice lake. Credit line, value added, icy hole of death, crouching tiger / hidden squirrel etc. These trails are all earn-your-vert, so they're generally in better shape than the shuttle trails by the university.

Stop in at tantalous and get a map & recommendations!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Downloaded the iPhone GPS enabled bike map for Squamish, VERY cool but I think I'll back it up with paper.

Looking at the official trail names that are listed on the map (and the Squamish Chamber of Commerce and Tourism sites) make the trail naming around here pretty damn PC.

Squamish trail names that are fit to print:

Ditch Pig
    One Mans Garbage
    East Infection
    Your Mom
    Icy Hole of Death
    The Hole Connector
    P-Nuts Wild Ride
    Spencers Big Gay Ride
    Mtn of Phlegm
    Doggie Style
    Meet Your Maker
    Face of Dick

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    I'll second the Alice Lake area. Park at Republic Cycles, buy a paper map from them, and then pedal up Jack's trail and then take a bunch of the trails FM mentioned back down. It's good, challenging stuff with lots of tech and rock faces. Very different than Half Nelson.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

I5Troll
    Another vote for the Alice Lake area. Lots of super fun gnarl, rocky chutes and boulders. Entrails was one of my favs. The one flow-trail we did land on in that area was Roller Coaster... a very fun and relaxing way to end after hours of gnarl.

A few pics on Entrails:

Best Squamish Trails?-483662_4773479931712_632217131_n.jpg

Best Squamish Trails?-482188_4775498262169_439736861_n.jpg

Crouching Squirrel:

Best Squamish Trails?-482279_4773313687556_1006534148_n.jpg

You'll find awesome challenge and gnarl, but you won't find the continuous up&down "tight corners, off camber turns, angled root systems, quick elevation changes, and water hazards" like Tolt, Sawyer, BlkDiam, Worm, GS, etc. There is some of that, but it's only along the path to get to the good stuff! Mostly quick tough shorter climbs followed by maximized downs and "more down than up" XC. So you will most def get the "sketchy drops and butt pucker descents".

Much preferred Alice Lake trails over the Half/Full Nelson area. Although I haven't ridden the trails higher up above HN and FN.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Alice Lake will be the first place I hit then. Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If you do wind up in the Half-Nelson area do "Word of Mouth". I think that it's one of the best in that zone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Fred. I wanna call it Fred's trail but as I remember the sign just said Fred. Techie trail ups and downs.

mtbr member
    These trails are awesome, if you're looking for a challenge; 19th hole, Grin and Holler. Intermediate: Pseudo Tsuga, Nelson and anything else in that area.

Squamish DH/FR Video

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It's looking like I'm going to be going up there on the weekend of April 1/2 with a bunch of climbers and my pregnant wife. Weather dependent. I'll probably be riding solo, considering the crowd, so if anyone is heading up I'd love to jump in with you or your group.

I've never ridden in the Alice Lake area, so I'm excited to do some riding there. I'd also be into checking out some of the Whistler x/c stuff; Comfortably Numb or even some of the stuff closer into town.

Let me know!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the ride advice everyone. I only had time for two rides so this is what I got-

Rode @ Alice Lake:

Entrails - Lives up to it's name
    Credit Line - Wicked tech climbs
    Value added (I think) It blended with Entrails...
    Gouranga - More big tech
    Icy Hole of Death - Yes!
    Trestle - Pretty lost and tired by then and ended up descending a unmarked double diamond waterfall trail dumping out into a golf course.
    Really Stupid 1000' Road Climb - through town and back up to car parked on Perth.

Rode above Quest University:

Climb Trail - Beautiful one way groomed single track to the top for uphill traffic only
    Full Nelsen - Uber Flow
    Half Nelson
    Cake Walk - long techy with some big rock and lots of bridges
    Another Road Side Attraction - Short with some double diamond rock features

Alice lake lived up to it's reputation for incredible tech trails. If I had more time I would roll another loop through Alice Lake and try out Rigs in Zen and Plural of Nemesis. I'd also shuttle to 19th Hole above Quest and ride Hoods in the Woods into town which is supposed to be a 2 plus hour ride. Perfect place for 3 days of mind blowing antiflow, any more and I'd need a week to recover :-)

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Awesome Wipp- you hit some great trail!

I wonder if you went up credit line? I recalled it being a really fun descent.

I5Troll
    Wipp, have you ever hit Comfortably Numb in the Whistler Valley? (or "Uncomfortable Bum" as the locals call it). Might be up your alley if you want pedaling gnarl for 4+ hours. Never-ending gnarly rooty rocky up&down with some beautiful slick slab chutes and gnarly chutes. Used to be my absolute #1 for that style.

Just roll it......
    What Westra said! Althought for me these days, I'd prefer to climb up NIMBY and Middle Earth in Pemby than doing Comfortably Numb. At least you get a real descending payoff from that climb.

EB

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm up in Whistler for the 1st week of July and Comfortably Numb is what I plan to ride first. I've ridden a River Runs Through It and Lost Lake but injury and time contraints have kept me from really exploring Whistler. It's good to be healed up!

This Saturday I'm doing the Shuttle Day @ Cold Creek - Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    Wipp, have you ever hit Comfortably Numb in the Whistler Valley? (or "Uncomfortable Bum" as the locals call it). Might be up your alley if you want pedaling gnarl for 4+ hours. Never-ending gnarly rooty rocky up&down with some beautiful slick slab chutes and gnarly chutes. Used to be my absolute #1 for that style.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by wipp View Post
    I'm up in Whistler for the 1st week of July and Comfortably Numb is what I plan to ride first.
    Consider doing a big westside (rainbow/sproat) day, or combine kill me thrill me with young lust, before doing comfortably numb.

Slynx
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter-Falia View Post
    Fred. I wanna call it Fred's trail but as I remember the sign just said Fred. Techie trail ups and downs.
    Yup! you got the name right! I built Fred as a connector trail to access Word of Mouth. Built it with my 4 year old son. I had names in mind such as g-string, cougar bait, gato diablo, and dim-wit (play off of power-smart). Alas, when having dinner with my son I told him all trails needed a name. He said lets call it Fred! After a winter of me trying to argue my case, he got sick with a fever, I built him a sign to cheer him up. I still think it is the worse name ever! There was no Fred involved in the construction of the trail so no apostrophe s needed.