Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Last word is all yours...

Best rear fender for dropper post

I have an SKS X3 fender that works great for a fixed post, but I can't really use it with my dropper because it has to mount below the dropper stanchion, which results in massive rear wheel contact when the rear triangle compresses. Brrrrap!

So I think I need a different style fender that either has dropper-friendly geometry, or even better, one that mounts to the rear triangle in some easy-on/easy-off way. Bike is a '10 Enduro.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Ask Borneo, I am sure he has worked through this dilemma.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimba View Post

BP, you just need one with two adjustment points. I have the SKS Grand MOM, but the X-Blade or anything like it will work.

Or, something with a short enough arm, like the Crud rear, might work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimba View Post
    So Jim, now I know how you got your red rep
    Post a pic of one of your bikes with some dirt on it and I'll give you some rep points

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slop View Post
    So Jim, now I know how you got your red rep
    Post a pic of one of your bikes with some dirt on it and I'll give you some rep points
    this should be worth a few points right?

mtbr member
    Done. You need a fender...and a dropper.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Laughing too hard to get a real response from......

mtbr member
    The SKS X-blade is the only fender I found that works on my full suspension bike with a dropper post.

I use to be anti-fender, but since I ride 2 days a week no matter the weather, I got tired of being soaked and changing after each ride just to get into the car. I dont care if the bike gets all muddy or whatever. I just prefer a little less mud on the backside.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    On a more serious note, anyone have real luck with the old tube front mud catcher between the sanchions thingy? Even with a SKS front fender, I get the mud/water blowing back in my face on those fast down hills.

P.S. Stoked to see Jimba's bike dirty. PVCA?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm a recent convert to rainy season riding. Been dealing with the mud so far. Looks like I'm going to get one of thoses x-blades for the rear. Is there a consensus on what to put on the front? I'm pedaling around an 07 enduro. I appreciate the advice.

mtbr member
    I tried a few different style front fenders and I found the moto style work the best. I personally hate the look, but I really like the SKS shockblade.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I hate the enduro look (huge fenders), so went for a low profile on the front and got a Mucky Nuts. Works well to keep the mud out of the face. Looking for a low profile for the back now. I know the big fenders work the best, but can't get over the look of them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    On a more serious note, anyone have real luck with the old tube front mud catcher between the sanchions thingy? Even with a SKS front fender, I get the mud/water blowing back in my face on those fast down hills.

P.S. Stoked to see Jimba's bike dirty. PVCA?
    I think that was PV.

Last word is all yours...

Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    The SKS X-blade is the only fender I found that works on my full suspension bike with a dropper post.

I use to be anti-fender, but since I ride 2 days a week no matter the weather, I got tired of being soaked and changing after each ride just to get into the car. I dont care if the bike gets all muddy or whatever. I just prefer a little less mud on the backside.
    Same here: I hate riding with fenders, and only do it when it's really sloppy, and mostly then to spare from needing to hose out my camelbak.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    With the typical wet conditions (at least in spots) we generally have all year plus the plethora of horses and dogs, I generally run with at least a front fender all year long. Nothing beats that smug satisfaction you get when putting your bike up on the rack after a ride or washing it at home and finding a nice wad of dog or horse sh!t stuck to the fender or the tires.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by r1de View Post
    So I think I need a different style fender that either has dropper-friendly geometry, or even better, one that mounts to the rear triangle in some easy-on/easy-off way. Bike is a '10 Enduro.
    Nikwax or ride a hardtail w/fender when it's muddy.

Seriously, it's futile running a rear fender on a fully. I spent the better part of the '90s trying...
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post

The innertube mud catcher is perfect for the high speeds like the thriller downhills. I went from the glasses covered in mud to just a couple if spots.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Can you either take a pic or describe where/how you mount the fender?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post

For a full suspension with a dropper post? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I use a Mucky Nutz rear fender with my dropper. I have a KS Lev and I mount the fender on the fixed portion of the post, above the seat post collar and underneath the cable activator. The SKS one interferes with the rear wheel at full compression, but the Mucky Nutz one just clears it.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Best rear fender for dropper post

+1 on the new Mucky Nutz rear fender. 6 inches of travel and a dropper post. No issues. Very light, easy to put on, stays in place great. Their front fenders work great too.

mtbr member
    I made my own mucky nutz front and rear using Lynch's suggestion of those thin cutting boards. Worked great, though personally I feel the front is far more effective than the rear.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Cyclepath in PDX carries these - best rear fender i've ever used, by far

https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/

mtbr member
    Here is what I use in the winter. Works well and never falls out:
    Singletrack Solutions Mud Flap Fender (100093719) at CambriaBike.com

EMBA Member
    Oct 2006
    If you use this site: https://www.themudhugger.us.com/shop/ you're ordering from Cyclepath who has the sole US distribution.

They're spendy, but if they're durable and do the job they'd be worth it.

mtbr member
    I stopped using the SKS model after a few months. It started moving around and coming loose after a few months of nasty rides, and my tire would hit it on rough sections and jumps.
    For the front I custom made my own out of cutting boards. They look like the mucky nuts. The rear didnt do much so I took it off and sometimes run this:
    Mudguard NO MUD Universal 65mm | Mudguards

It is cheap on the German site and I picked up when we did a big group order for Schwalbe tires!

I found a better solution than messing with a rear fender was just getting a nice pair of waterproof shorts and Under Armor Coldgear tights.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast