ADD
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Best neighbourhoods in Seattle for good trail access

I'm seriously considering moving to Seattle and would like to get some input on good neighbourhoods. Not sure the feasibility, but would be nice to find something with decent trail system nearby and within a reasonable commuting distance to downtown Seattle (sub 1hr). Any suggestions?
    Was also looking at Bainbridge Island. Does anyone know if there are good trails there?

FKA Malibu412
    Issaquah.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

ADD
    mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks, will check it out!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Not much by way of trails on Bainbridge. If you are going to live out there make sure you take into account how much it costs to ride the ferry every day.

mtbr member
    I live in West Seattle and can be in the foothills off I-90 in 30-45 minutes. Capitol Hill and Beacon Hill are also quick to access I-90 as far as living in the city goes, otherwise, Issaquah as was mentioned is pretty ideal as its in the foothills of the Cascades.

Old and Crusty
    Nov 2010
    I live in N. Seattle, Burke Gilman Trail (paved) runs all the way along Lake Washington to U of W then out to Ballard. I used to commute when I worked at Harborview, so it is possible to commute to Downtown. I also ride the opposite way - Northbound - out to Juanita Dr. in Kenmore and up the hill to Saint Edwards/Big Finn Ben Hill parks for my dirt rides, plus I ride out in Paradise Valley/Lord Hill park - within a hours drive of home - for better riding/climbing. My neighborhood is expensive, but short distances there are some cheaper neighborhoods. Good to look into just the same. Good brew pubs nearby as well.

mtbr member
    Another vote for Issaquah. From the garage trail riding (Grand Ridge), and Tiger, Tokul, Duthie, Exit 27, and Raging Rv forest all less than 15 min away. Skiing in under 45 minutes too. Downtown is less than 30 minutes or express bus for car-less commute.

mtbr member
    for riding from your house: kenmore for st eds and issaquah for duthie, grand ridge, tiger. neither of those are actually seattle, but whatever.

tons within an hour of just about anywhere in greater seattle.
    :: hf ::

Old and Crusty
    Nov 2010
    No one has actually mentioned to this guy that there is one more colonnade under the freeway just north of downtown. Seems as though this place was kind of forgotten when Duthie arrived on the scene. It is fun all the same.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yeah nothing wrong with being in the city proper. I have to drive 15 or 20 minutes longer than most Eastside guys to get to most trails, but I'm closer to the ferries to Vashon and Port Gamble. Plus, being a 20 minute bike ride from work means all my gas money goes to mountain biking!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You guys are sharing all of our secrets!!! LOL.......... I live in Maple Valley and have access to 30 plus miles of trails out my garage. Last year MV was also voted one of the best cities for famlies to live.

Dream it, Do it.
    [QUOTE=ADD;10988073] Not sure the feasibility, but would be nice to find something with decent trail system nearby and within a reasonable commuting distance to downtown Seattle (sub 1hr). Any suggestions?
    QUOTE]

Yes, one of the best neighborhoods that I know of for trail access in Issaquah is the one I live in across from Duthie Hill. You have access to Duthie for beginner to expert level cross-country trails and jumps as well as the 7 miles (one way) of singletrack that the Grand Ridge Trail offers. In a round trip tour of the Grand Ridge trail, you can get in a three hour ride with about 2000-2500 feet of climbing. It's nice to be able to get in a decent ride on singletrack before or after work in the summer when the sun comes up around 5 and sets around 9:30.

Without traffic (before 6:30 am and after 7pm), the drive into Seattle is 30 minutes though rush hour commutes will take longer. There is a Park-and-Ride and bus terminal in the Issaquah Highlands with an express bus into Seattle.