Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Best Mountain bike towns in Washington

I'm sure this info is somewhere on this forum but not having much luck finding.

I'm looking into moving to Washington for a change of pace. Looking for primo mountain bike accessibility (roll out of the driveway to the trails type). Prefer a town with more than 5,000 people and less than 50,000. I work from home so job market is not important. Thoughts?

Slothful dirt hippie
    You you mind/want snow in the winter? That will limit things pretty quickly either way....
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    We don't mind snow so long as there are winter sports within proximity. Not a deal breaker either way.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ballard, or Fremont...

are not on this list.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'd argue that anything on the West slope of the Cascades, within an hour and a half of Seattle, no longer qualifies for the "change of pace" category. Avoid King County.

If you just have to live in Washington, look on the dry side of the state at Roslyn, Cle Elum, Levenworth, Cashmere, Winthrop.

Otherwise, there's just too many great mountain towns in the inter-mountain-west states if you don't need to be here for the tech industry...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. We like the forest and relative proximity to the ocean that Washington offers. Does anyone have experience with Port Angeles or Sequim? That area looks appealing from what I can tell. Looks to be sheltered from some of the precipitation. Real question is mountain bike opportunities?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    What Kellyc said. I would also add Wenatchee to that list, and Spokane has good access to mtb as well. Olympia has access to capitol forest and a few other areas and has a bit slower pace than Seattle.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance - Washington's Largest Mountain Bike Club and then the wiki/trail page.
    Some fun riding out of PA and Sequim.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This is a good thread....related to your question:

Where to live in Washington for year round single track?

Bellingham would be on my short list although it might not be "from your door"....

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    May want to look at Poulsbo/Port Gamble area. Trails that are in a vast area that opens up some real estate possibilities. That trail network is nice in that its largely biker developed and maintained without many restrictions on what can be built. The downside it's not state owned land; so who knows what the future holds. There are about at least 5 other trail networks within 40 minutes drive. Also has quite a few breweries and decent eating options. Sequim is on the Olympic Discovery Trail,but its mostly bike path riding close to town with some trails further south on the Hood Canal side of the Olympics. I need to explore the Pt Townsend, area it seems to have some trails

EMBA Member
    It is nice being in the rain shadow in Sequim but like people of said there is more riding on the Peninsula over by Port Gamble or Poulsbo. The nice thing about the area around Port Angeles and Sequim is property is relatively affordable. Meaning you can build some features in your backyard. Other then that, most riding will be 45 minutes away or so. Slim

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What type of riding do you like to do?
    What winter sports do you like to do?
    What MTB tows have you been to before that you liked?
    do you ride in wet/cold conditions or would you hang the bike up and wait for fare weather?
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004

Why WA? The majority of places I'd be looking using that criteria are not in this state.

mtbr member
    Focusing on the "primo MTB" requirement: If you ignore the 2M people to the left Issaquah or Snoqualmie. Looking toward the future with Tiger Mt, Olallie, Hansen, and adjacent areas, Snoqualmie may be the better choice and is further out of the people zone.

Other than that, Primo = Bellingham. No other place with the quantity, variety, and quality of trails. Plus it's a great town and close to water. Plus it's close to North Shore and Whistler.

I love Wenatchee and Leavenworth and putting them together with Lake Wenatchee probably equals primo. But the latter two have a short season and the qty/variety is not as high as the above.

If you call Hood River a part of Washington or live across the bridge, it is definitely primo.

Otherwise, Bend, Bozeman, Oakridge(??), Ashland (maybe), Nelson BC (Amazing).

builder
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Ballard, or Fremont...

are not on this list.
    Ballard and Fremont have a great variety of recreation.........if you like bars.

I am prejudiced, but Wenatchee is the best in my book. Lots of variety of close by, year round recreation. Mountain biking is really becoming on a par with skiing for the recreational driver here.The local Evergreen chapter has so many trail projects going we have a hard time coming up with enough volunteers to get it all done. Wenatchee can compete with most any recreational center in the West.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Wenatchee...agreed

Wenatchee Outdoors Forum - great local resource
    Last edited by rbwen; 05-28-2014 at 12:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The more I research and think about it, the gloomy conditions of the coast area may be an issue. I knew it was overcast but less than 30% sunny days may have me wishing I was back in Austin. Looks like Wenatchee may be the best option for WA. I'm open to other areas in the US. If you guys could live anywhere just for MTB with reasonable housing cost where would you be? The comments are greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    If you want to live anywhere, just want to mountain bike, why not Moab, UT.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Bingen. Why does nobody ever mention Bingen?

It's in Washington, and beautiful, and competes in all recreational categories.
    Rolland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtxandy View Post
    The more I research and think about it, the gloomy conditions of the coast area may be an issue. I knew it was overcast but less than 30% sunny days may have me wishing I was back in Austin. Looks like Wenatchee may be the best option for WA. I'm open to other areas in the US. If you guys could live anywhere just for MTB with reasonable housing cost where would you be? The comments are greatly appreciated.
    Spokane area has cheap housing, and there are tons of trails very close.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by The Sagebrush Slug View Post
    Bingen. Why does nobody ever mention Bingen?

It's in Washington, and beautiful, and competes in all recreational categories.
    More than 5000 people?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    Focusing on the "primo MTB" requirement: If you ignore the 2M people to the left Issaquah or Snoqualmie. Looking toward the future with Tiger Mt, Olallie, Hansen, and adjacent areas, Snoqualmie may be the better choice and is further out of the people zone.
    Agreed. I'm really enjoying North Bend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you guys could live anywhere just for MTB with reasonable housing cost where would you be? The comments are greatly appreciated.
    1. Southwestern Colorado: Durango
    2. Northern New Mexico: Taos
    3. Northern Arizona: Prescott

What I'd lose in skiing I'd gain back in living in a more moto friendly state.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Salida CO

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    I'm in Snoqualmie, and I'd argue it's as good as it gets for MTB in the greater Seattle area. There's a big difference between best in the area where jobs are at vs. best anywhere and bringing a job with you. I would be looking at the Rocky mtn states, or at least the east side of the Cascades. Since you mentioned coast access, Hood River Oregon is almost dry side, has the biking, and is 2.5 hours from the coast (but there's an income tax on that side of the river).

Quote Originally Posted by kellyc View Post
    Agreed. I'm really enjoying North Bend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast