Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I didn't do it
    OP, I love it here in WA, but if I had a job that allowed me to live anywhere then I wouldn't live here. I'd consider Durango CO. Great biking out the door, killer skiing and you're close to Moab. Add in gorgeous hiking and fishing opportunities and you got yourself a pretty fine place to live.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt pirate View Post
    Ballard and Fremont have a great variety of recreation.........if you like bars.
    Or sailing.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    More than 5000 people?
    Sure, it's just that 90% of Bingen's population actually lives in Hood River.
    Rolland

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Bingen is paradise, expect the $.50 toll to cross the bridge will bleed you dry.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    Bingen is paradise, expect the $.50 toll to cross the bridge will bleed you dry.
    Yeah, I used to hate the toll too, but in my aged youth I now figure it costs an extra $180 a year to live in Bingen, if you go to HR every other day.

I'm paying 10 times that just to drive to Seattle every day across the 520 bridge.

Ironically, as soon as they finish the bridge, I'll be biking in every day, so I won't have to pay for it. Woot!
    Rolland

EMBA Member
    Just spent a week riding and brew pub'ing in Bend, Oregon. The community vibe is great and winter sports are readily available. It'd be high on my list.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Freaky, I couldn't agree more from a tourist perspective. I try to get down there every year for a week or a long weekend just to ride some long "Bend" miles. But, if you want to start a loooong thread on the OR forum page here. Just tell everyone to move there. Stuff starts flyin'.....

V-Shaped Rut
    Live anywhere, outdoor activities, reasonable cost. Nevada side of lake tahoe. Primo MTB and the lake all summer, primo skiing/riding all winter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    If you want to jump on your mt. bike & ride ride out the "back door"... I'd say Wenatchee or even Yakima (where I live)... or anywhere else on the east slope (Ellensburg, Roslyn, ?)... These towns have trails from the edge of town right up into the Cascades and are centrally located for easy drives to everything else (and WAY less traffic/parking issues. I often ride desert single track as an option on my commute home from work... and I know my friends in Wenachee do too. And often, due to the "rain Shadow" effect of the Cascades, we ride desert trails right through the winter (off and on anyway, we do get snow & ice on the east slope... that's what the fat bike is for!). If you don't need a city to work in, Chelan & Winthrop areas are awesome too!

Welcome to WA!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks again for all the info guys. Very helpful!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I live and ride in and around spokane, wa. Tons of great riding around, waaay less rain, way more sunshine, houses are affordable, unlike the west side........

mtbr member
    shhhh ....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sagebrush Slug View Post
    Bingen. Why does nobody ever mention Bingen?

It's in Washington, and beautiful, and competes in all recreational categories.
    I grew up there. Went to school in White Salmon and the riding there is epic. Definitely check out White Salmon, Hood River, Bingen and Underwood. Amazing riding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2