Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best bike repair shop?

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  kasperilio 
#1 ·
I'm in Auburn and was wondering where a good shop is to have a new bike assembled. (affordable)
or
Just do it myself?
I work on m/c's all the time so mechanics don't scare me.
Is there something special I might miss doing a full assembly?

#2 ·
I am sure there are a lot of capable folks on this forum living down that way that would be willing to come over to advise and watch you build for a sixer. It's not that difficult. Setting up brakes and shifters are the biggest issue and maybe the right tension on your headset.

#4 ·
I say if you have good mechanic skills already then just build it up yourself. Most of the components will come with instructions so you could probably muddle through. You might have to take your frame to somebody to get bottom brackets and/or headsets pressed though. There's also lots of info online. Take a look at Park Tool. Park Tool Co.

#6 ·
Yeah, like nwbikur said there are a few bits that are hard to do right without expensive tools, especially installing the headset (steering bearings) into the frame. Installing bottom brackets and the sprocket cassette usually require a special nut as well.

Center Cycle in Renton (near IKEA) is a shop with a good reputation and there's Phil's Southside Cyclery in Federal Way which has been around for a long time but I don't know much about them.

#7 ·
If the frame has been properly prepped a long threaded rod, big washers and nuts and some careful elbow grease are all you need to install headset cups. Bottom brackets (internal or external) need a special tool, and you'll also want a cassette removal tool and a chain whip. The tools are fairly inexpensive and if you are going to maintain your own bike long-term you'll need them anyway.

#11 ·
what are you building up? do you need to cut the steer tube? Does the frame have a press fit or threaded bb? what brakes will you be running? A lot of the stuff can be easy with a few simple tools, but need special tools most people dont have.

#17 ·
Warmonkey* and I just tore the Avid Elixir brakes off my Ibis, and I offered to burn them to slag instead of taking them home in The Spare Parts Box. They may have even surpassed my hatred for the Mavic freehubs with suicidal plastic bits inside.

Pic from Dirty Fingers bike shop down in Hood River just to prove I'm not the only one (haven't made it down there but it's on my to-do list... bike shop w/ taps built into the counter, SCORE!):
Text Line Font Black Parallel

*must fetch more beer for warmonkey- we destroyed his kitchen and stayed up until nearly midnight last Thursday swapping brakes, drivetrain, BB, cranks, front and back derailleurs, etc. I did whatever he told me to, he did most of the actual work.:band:

#18 ·
I just cheated blcman out of sixer of IPA.
Brown came somewhat earlier than he normally does. He had his boy wonder helper with him.
Everything is done except for hooking up the shifter.
Still need to adjust the tightness on the chain and put the pedals on as well.
Making a run to Trek Bike in So. Center tomorrow for new pedals, though.
I'm also sharing this picture with everyone. If you don't laugh at what I did, well, you had a bad childhood.
Finger Linens Plastic

#22 ·
Mr. Lynch, I didn't know you were so cheap! Just building up my Pivot Mach 6 with XX1, XT, etc. I know you are very familiar with those parts and I may need some help! You may even enjoy helping with a build like this. Headset and PFBB are already installed. Still waiting on the wheels and trying to figure out which direction to go, but everything will be ready to build in the next few weeks. You are hired!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.