mtbr member

Best Beaches to Fat Bike? Washington/Seattle Fat Bike Thread?

Anybody know where the longest Fat Bike-able beaches are? Multi-day Fat Bike packing routes? If anybody knows the spot and wants to go ride hit me up. Is there a Seattle Fat Bike thread?
    "... Say you coming and took you for a spin like a stolen, rusty cruiser, boy. Yeah, I'm talkin 'bout a HARSH ride. "

mtbr member
    Oceans shores is a great place to ride and they have a big Fatbike group thing there every year.

Annual Northwest Fatbike Meet at Ocean Shores Wa. September 27th & 28th
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the plug Mr. Lynch! Yes join us for some fat fun this Sep. I will be over there Next month the 10th thru 14th as well... PM me if you (or anyone else w/ a fatty) want to meet for a spin. Here's some footage of the beach's from OS North...

mtbr member
    I may join you guys in September. I'll be out there on 4th a July weekend cruising around on my Fatboy, then again the first week of August.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Longest legal beach ride is down at Long Beach though. Camping isn't legal on the beach itself anywhere in WA except in the Wilderness/Nat. Park to the North... and bikes are not legal on the beach or trails up there. You could bike pack the coast and stay at camp grounds though as there are many. In WA. State, You can cover the different stretches (Moclips to Copalis River; Copalis River to Ocean Shores; Westport to Tokeland; and Long Beach peninsula) probably more efficiantly, enjoyably by base camping at camp grounds and exploring the beach's un-loaded. If you really want to bikepack beach's/dunes... head south to the Oregon Dune's National Recreation Area. There you will find long, lonely beach's and endless sand to play in and legal dispersed camping. There are issues during Summer down there w/ Snowy Plover Closures though... those closures are "lifted" in mid September so fall may be a better time to travel down there if you want to explore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I may join you guys in September. I'll be out there on 4th a July weekend cruising around on my Fatboy, then again the first week of August.
    Awesome Mr. Lynch! Look forward to meeting you! Only missing you by a week in July. Will look at my calendar for August.

mtbr member
    I might make it out there that second weekend in July and a buddy and I will probably be out there first week in August too. There should be a monthly ride!!
    "... Say you coming and took you for a spin like a stolen, rusty cruiser, boy. Yeah, I'm talkin 'bout a HARSH ride. "

mtbr member
    We just started getting into fat bike riding. My wife and her family are part of the Quinault tribe and we have access so some killer beaches just south of Kalaloch (National park area).

The riding on the tribal land is amazing. No cars and no people for miles and miles.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'll PM you both my email. My family & I go to OS several times a year. I have a couple other partners that meet me for fat biking. Mr. Lynch, can you take guests on the tribal beach?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Mr. Lynch has a fat bite? Really? I am going to have to ponder that for a while.

mtbr member
    Not sure not sure if I have a fat bite, but I do have a fat bike!
    Lots of fun to ride out in the bd area too! I have a feeling it will be a lot of fun this winter in the rain, mud and snow. No pivots to worry about! Just hose it off and put if away!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Cyclists generally having a hard time understanding them. They're really just bicycles with a high floatation tire/wheel set-up. Gives cyclists the same attributes that dunes buggy's, ATV's, and Jeeping Jeeps have enjoyed for years. They also "touch" the ground softer than just about any other mode of travel, including hiking boots. And now we've got Front and full suspension fat too. Love mine on the rough jeep trails over here on the east slope!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Down but not out!

I built myself a Pugs from the frame up this last Winter. Had the wheel set custom built with a Shimano Alfine 8 spd internal gear hub. One chainring up front, and one sprocket in the rear...makes it easy to clean after a ride here on my local Grayland/Westport beaches.
    Unfortunately, I suffered a heart attack in May. I survived and am currently seeing a Cardiologist and getting "out-patient" treatment. (Today's medical technology is simply amazing!)
    Before that, as early as late March and April, I was having some swelling problems in my left leg, and noticing at times that I was experiencing "shortness of breath."

Some friends of mine, some who are RN's, advised me to get checked to see whether or not I had a blood clot in my left leg. I made an appointment at my local clinic, and the PA (nurse who is a "physician's assistant") who attended me (Ha! He only glanced across the room for about two minutes at my leg and then buried his nose in his laptop computer) told me that although I displayed some of the symptoms of a blood clot ("deep vein thrombosis") that I probably didn't have one since I wasn't experiencing "excruciating pain." So he recommended that I get some knee-high compression socks.
    He was absolutely wrong. I did have a clot, and it broke loose on Sat night on Memorial Day weekend. I was alone and away from a phone (cell was on charger), and I just "rode it out" until the chest pain subsided, and then walked home. Lucky for me, it was a short walk.

I hope to get back in the saddle soon, although I will be selling my surfboards.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    So, "Lone Desert Walker," at the time you tried to pm me I was unable to reply.