mtbr member
    May 2007

Bellingham Questions?

Hello,
    I'll be in Bellingham the 22-25 Dec and hoping to ride lots. So if anyone is willing to show an out of towner around it'd be much appreciated. Also, I have to decide between bringing a hard-tail 29er that can handle moderate freeride terrain vs bringing true freeride bike (26" with 6.5' travel front and rear). Any suggestions based on current trail conditions will also be appreciated. Thanks.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Galbraith is the biggest trail network. You can get a map at some of the local bike shops; definitely at Fairhaven Bike and Ski. It has a mix of XC and freeride trails, so you could have fun on either bike. Bring the one that corresponds to the riding you enjoy more. You can spend a ride at Galbraith almost exclusively on singletrack or you can do all your climbing on logging roads and descend on freeride trails.

I don't know where you're located, but it's been relatively wet here. There's a fair amount of woodwork on the freeride trails and a little on the XC trails. So depending on how you feel about riding on wet wood, that might inform your decision.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Just roll it......
    29'er hardtail for sure for this time of year. That will also allow you to ride Chuckanut and have more fun. I can still ride all the same trails on my HT 29'er.

EB

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Cool, thanks for the info guys. I'm out of CO, but have put in lots of time on wet roots and built wooden stunts. Normally I'd bring both, but just no room this trip w/ the other bikes I have to bring too. I'm sure it'll be fun no matter which route I go. Thanks again.

Just roll it......
    With everything being mush after the recent freeze/thaw cycle any "FR bike" worthy trails aren't gonna be worth it.

Bring a light and a flask and head down the top of El Pollo on Saturday around 7.

gravity fighter
    ...and some snow tires!