V-Shaped Rut

Bellevue trails riding???

Hey all. There is some new mandate that I spend some time in the office more each week. (First world problems) Although I dislike that, I've been making the most of it by bike commuting to get some riding in. It's not much of a roadie ride, only 5.6 miles each way from the far east side of bvue to downtown.

AFAIK from googling, the trail system in bellevue is multi use however bikes aren't specifically mentioned. I'm talking about through the blueberry farm, kelsey creek, etc... However I never see anyone riding it nor do I see any MTB tracks outside of a VERY occasional rider on the weowna greenbelt between my place and sammamish.

So are there just no MTB riders because it's boring/easy, because it's not legal, or just because no one wants to deal with people/dogs/etc... on an urban trail? I'm thinking it'd be a longer more scenic ride than just bombing down lake hills connector and climbing 2 hills.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    AFAIK from googling, the trail system in bellevue is multi use however bikes aren't specifically mentioned.
    Bikes are specifically allowed on all trails in Bellevue. If you ask a ranger (yes, Bellevue has specific park rangers!) they'll discourage you from riding down the steps at Weowna Park, but won't tell you you can't.

JRA used to do those paths on his commute, and he even stopped by my old house (SE 165th & 14th), but only once, so I upped and moved to Clyde Hill.

But I never rode over there on the trails much. Ran on them, yes. But the streets are good for road riding so that's more what I did. For your commute those trails are excellent, and arguably a better way to go than taking the road.
    Rolland

V-Shaped Rut
    Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. I'm within a few blocks of your old place and hit weowna for running several times a week. Agree about roadie over here, it's a short shot down to sammamish parkway to ride around the lake. Better than riding super slow in weowna avoiding dogs, walkers, runners or riding on gravel roads by larsen lake.

But commuting vs. fighting with cars. Yes sir.

mtbr member
    Hey BS, I live just up the hill from the little red barn fruit stand. I have a silly little loop that I ride. Do all of Weona, head over near Boeing and Microsoft (near EastGate), and make my way over to Robinswood Park, hitting as much trail as possible. Ends up around 7 miles worth.
    Wilberton park and Kelsey Cr park also have some trails you can hit on your commute...good stuff if you have a CX bike to commute on.
    Cool Cr Park has a few trails as well. I try to avoid all these during dog walker hours. Mid day I see very few people on them. Hope this helps.

JRA
    mtbr member
    If you live near Weona, there's also some trails on the south side of Phantom Lake that one could incorporate w/ not too much sidetracking. I like my "dirt" route from downtown Bellevue to W. Lk Sammamish. The ride back into Redmond from the bottom of Weona, not so much.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JRA View Post
    The ride back into Redmond from the bottom of Weona, not so much.
    There's another chipped route from Tam O'Shanter Park that will take you past the north side of NE 24th. It's not great, but it's not pavement. Go up Northup and I think there's an entrance just past 173rd but I can't remember. Certainly you can enter from TOS Park.
    Rolland

V-Shaped Rut
    Did it this morning, anyone know if there is a way into/out of the kelsey creek farm that doesn't involve those stairs that come out on 3rd place?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    There's a loop trail to the south, but it's steeper than the stairs (http://www.bellevuewa.gov/pdf/Parks/...lsey_creek.pdf)

JRA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sproqitman View Post
    There's a loop trail to the south, but it's steeper than the stairs (http://www.bellevuewa.gov/pdf/Parks/...lsey_creek.pdf)
    I found that to get to the trail under the powerlines, there was no way to avoid stairs.

V-Shaped Rut
    I rode the steeper loop on the way back today and it only skipped a couple of the bottom flights of stairs I think. Oh well, makes for some nice mid-ride interval work. Got in 14 sunny miles today total just going to work. You can't beat that with a baseball bat.