Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Beginner trails near Lake Wenatchee

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Skookum 
#1 ·
Heading up to Lake Wenatchee over spring break with my wife. Just getting into mountain biking, and I saw that there are lots of advanced trails up there. Was just wondering if there is anything for newbs up there.

#2 ·
There are a ton of XC trails up there, many of them are on the ridge to the NE. Many of the trails are moto trails so there are some challenging bits here or there. For instance lots of switchbacks that have been reinforced with concrete pavers, so when it's dusty you can slide off/wash out.
Lots of those trails are not so exposed though like typical Cascad backcountry XC. Exposed means where the trail is built (benched) along a steep segment of mountain, and if you ride off the trail you will need to catch a tree quick or you will Jack and Jill maybe never to return.
One of the more weekend warrior type trails called Devils Gulch, just down the road in Cashmere is like that. Tread is pretty straight forward, you hardly ever get steep trail, and it's pretty easy trail. Most people just ride looking at the trail, but really if you look off the side of Devils Gulch (not recommended while riding) in some spots it's pretty gnarly. But yah most people ride on through not even noticing haha.
If you're noobs and you're handling alot of the local trails pretty good like Lake Sawyer and Duthie out Chickamin Trail, and check out Devils Gulch for starters. If you're having trouble navigating St. Edwards then i can't help ya, other than say keep riding more.:)

(these 2 trails you can shuttle)

#5 ·
If your wife is as new to mountain biking as my wife is, I would strongly advise AGAINST going anywhere near Devil's Gulch with her.

Normally Skook's advice is spot-on, but while the DG trail isn't technical and is easy to follow, I don't know too many beginners who would feel at all comfortable riding with death-on-the-right.

#6 ·
rbwen said:
I second the Chickamin/Minnow Ridge Trail. My wife and I did that last summer and it's a pretty easy ride up a dirt road and a good trail ride back to the car. Here's the link on wenatcheeoutdoors with my addition on the bottom. Feel free to PM for more info...ray

http://www.justgetout.net/Wenatchee/14875
Of all the places mentioned, Chickamin/Minnow is most likely to be rideable on spring break. It's a good early season ride, but may still be more then a beginner wants. I've only been over there that early once, and the access road was gated several miles away anyway, I'd check on that before heading over. The Chiwawa river trail is another one to consider. Same area, not very technical, only rolling climbing. Even in a low snow year its early yet for Lake Wenatchee though.

#7 ·
I'll agree with ACree. Most all will still be snowed in even with this winter in a few weeks for spring break. Maybe an out and back on Red Hill At the DG/MR Trailhead road or the Sage Hills trails down outside of Wenatchee?

Not even sure if you will be able to get around Lake Wenatchee due to snow. Not sure though...

But, IF you can, pick a section of the Chiwawa River Trail as that's the "easiest" section of trail around there. YMMV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.