mtbr member
    May 2009

Beginner Races in WA?

Hi folks,

Any spots that have a list of some beginner races in WA for this year? I was just over on PB looking at the following:
    Returning For The 6th Year: NW Cup 2013 - Pinkbike

It kind of spurred me to start thinking about racing for this year. Its something I've been thinking about and never really doing. So this year I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm not really looking to do anything super serious, more just to dabble and see how it is. I hope evergreen does that festival at Duthie again as I'd like to try my hand at that slalom race. Also there's the Tiger Mt. Enduro which looked like a lot of fun last year. I'm not a particularly strong rider (slow and out of shape), but I thought having something to train for would help kick me into gear (badump bump).

-joel

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Almost all of the races with the exception of the endurance events (that's endurance, not enduro) offer Cat 3 or Beginner options. For the NW Cup the courses are a bit tamer but still a lot of fun. At the XC races like the BuDu series the courses are a bit shorter. Enduro events tend to have everything the same for all categories, but I suppose slower riders will tend to self seed into the beginner division. Really, enduro is like going out for a long mountain bike ride, see who can ride fastest down the fun bits, and trading war stories on the long flat bits.

If you're interested in racing, start signing up for races and check them out. The NW Cup is great because of all the national level riders participating in the Cat 1 and Pro levels, whose race runs you can totally watch.

NW Cup's website: www.nwcup.com
    BuDu Racing: BuDu Racing, LLC | Mountain Bike and Road Cycling Events in the Pacific Northwest | Running, Duathlons and Triathlons

mtbr member

New beginner track

We will have an awesome new machine built trail for the Cat 3 racers this year. Good year to give it a go.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMUSuperman View Post
    Almost all of the races with the exception of the endurance events (that's endurance, not enduro) offer Cat 3 or Beginner options. For the NW Cup the courses are a bit tamer but still a lot of fun. At the XC races like the BuDu series the courses are a bit shorter. Enduro events tend to have everything the same for all categories, but I suppose slower riders will tend to self seed into the beginner division. Really, enduro is like going out for a long mountain bike ride, see who can ride fastest down the fun bits, and trading war stories on the long flat bits.

If you're interested in racing, start signing up for races and check them out. The NW Cup is great because of all the national level riders participating in the Cat 1 and Pro levels, whose race runs you can totally watch.

NW Cup's website: www.nwcup.com
    BuDu Racing: BuDu Racing, LLC | Mountain Bike and Road Cycling Events in the Pacific Northwest | Running, Duathlons and Triathlons

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    Some race series also offer poker ride alternatives. You can always use that to get your feet wet and get a feel for organized events and how they work.

Then you can go from there. But as mentioned, a lot of the local races have Cat 3/Beginner options to get into the swing of things.

That way you can judge your fitness too, you may not be as slow as you think, no way of knowing until you give it a shot.