I5Troll

Beacon Hill Bike Park -- public meeting 3/25 at 630pm in Seattle

Please join the Beacon Bike Park public meeting on Tues at 630pm. Click on the poster below for details.

We really need a strong show of support. The NIMBY groups and anti-mtb groups will be there en force to shoot down the bike park. Check out their website: 5 easy reasons to oppose Parks attack on Cheasty.

Check out this sign the opposition neighbors posted right in front of a huge pile of garbage... that they have ignored for years... but will be the very first thing the mountain biker volunteers will clean up! Those evil mt bikers want to clean-up another neglected urban space dominated by negative use... and instead they'll create a healthy outlet and recreational activity for neighbors and families to enjoy for ever.

Beacon Hill Bike Park -- public meeting 3/25 at 630pm in Seattle-savecheastygarbagelow.jpg

Spread the word! Thanks, Mike.

Beacon Hill Bike Park -- public meeting 3/25 at 630pm in Seattle-publicmeetingflyer0325.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I can't make it so I looked for an email comment link here, Seattle Parks and Recreation: Cheasty Mountain Bike Pilot Project - Project Information but don't see one. If someone can find it please post. These meeting also have slips to write comments on so if all you can do is stop by that would help too. These meeting can be very entertaining so your time wont be wasted.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I can't make this meeting, but I've emailed the parks department already. As a homeowner who lives a block away from the green space, I fully support this. Obviously the people who use the space illegally (trash dumpers, homeless campers, prostitutes) will continue to use it regardless of what the Parks Department says, so why not allow legitimate use? I think those people in the area who are opposed believe that having trails will increase illegitimate use, but I believe the opposite.

This is the person I contacted:

David Graves, AICP
    Senior Planner
    Planning & Development Division
    Seattle Parks and Recreation
    (206) 684-7048

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Word is the neighbors are going to fight it so send your supporting emails.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Did anybody who went the meeting have a report?
    Rolland

I5Troll
    The neighbors are going crazy with letters, emails and phone calls to the city. Please click here and take action as soon as you can. URGENT!!! Your Support Needed for Beacon Bike Park

It's blatantly obvious the neighbors don't really care about the issues they are raising... they just don't want this park in their back yard. Everything they are complaining about will get addressed and will become significantly better with the bike park project. Their concern they are voicing...

1. The bikers will destroy the woods and negatively impact wildlife. Wrong. The place is a disaster of invasive species, dumping, crime, camping, dangerous man-deep trench digging and pretty much unhealthy everything. The neighbors have done nothing about it because they honestly don't care enough. The bike park project will clean all this up... including invasive species removal and native transplanting. Wildlife will have a much healthier environment when it's done.

2. My house is going to slide down the hill. Yeah, right! The project will stop the crazy excavation that is going on in there and restore the forest to health... including the understory. That will only stabilize the slope. All trails will be built using sustainable trailbuilding techniques and will have far less impact than the insanity that is going on in there now.

3. Mt biking is an elitist activity that won't benefit the citizens nearby. BS. Neighbors desperately want it... way more neighbors, families, kids want this project than not. They just aren't the squeaky wheel... yet. Currently the only kids that can ride mt bike trails are the ones lucky enough to live out in the suburbs with trails close by or those who have parents that will drive them there. The city of Seattle has 120 miles of natural hiking trails and ZERO open to bikes. How are we going to get inner city kids into the sport unless we build something they can ride? So if the NIMBY crowd are truly interested in providing a valuable resource for citizens nearby, they'd be for it.

The truth is they just don't want anybody in there. Finding new ways to get kids interested in recreating outside is the best way to get them to appreciate it... and then want to save it forever! Others, please chime in. Then send your emails and make your phone calls. Thanks!

Just in case you haven't heard, the meeting was pretty wild! Huge thanks to everybody who attended! Very proud to hear from each and every one of the mt bikers and project supporters who spoke. All of your comments were professional, respectful, sincere, compelling and last but not least... succinct! There were some well though-out and articulated comments and concerns from the other side, but most of the opposition just came off as rude obnoxious intolerant NIMBY rabble-rousing.

swanny
    May 2012
    Email sent!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Emails sent, there has to be more of us than them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Some in the crowd were just hostile to the entire concept and the process up to that point with a few individuals in particular being some what disruptive. Some of the against concerns/issues definitely fit into the bat sh*t crazy category. However at the same time I think the Seattle Parks Department could improve their communication on several points especially towards an audience which is skeptical to say in the least.

If their speaker had started out using the example of how off-leash dog parks came to be in Seattle parks then broke that process down I believe it that would have been a lot clearer explanation to the ones truly there to understand what is happening with this project.

I would say the majority of the crowd were definitely of the NIMBY mindset but if SP can improve its communication I feel you can separate many of those from the extremist few. For example: A better response to parking concerns than "well if we were to put in parking ... non-park users will just use it" would certainly be an improvement.

Cheasty Green Space is not being overrun by the mountain biking community. The current situation is that Cheasty Green Space is in trouble and at least two special interest groups have partnered up with SP in order to turn the situation around (bringing ideas, volunteer labor, and private financial support to the table). "Open space" does not preclude human presence or human influence. Negative human effects need to replaced by positives for both the larger community as well as for nature itself.
    Last edited by jdusto; 03-29-2014 at 07:53 AM. Reason: grammer corrections
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

mtbr member
    May 2004

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I've already emailed the parks dept, but I wanted to share an email that I sent to the local Beacon Hill mailing list:

The most moving and beautiful experiences I have ever had have
    been in Wilderness. To quote the great John Muir, "In God's wildness
    lies the hope of the world - the great fresh, unblighted, unredeemed
    wilderness." We are so lucky in America to have preserved so much
    wilderness, to have kept so many acres of land untouched. And when I
    say wilderness, I refer to Federally Designated Wilderness, which
    receives the highest level of protection - no logging, no roads... in
    fact, the Forest Service can not even use chainsaws to clear the
    trails, but rather must use hand tools to preserve the natural state.
    When I was a child, I loved going into the forest around my house,
    but treasured the times when I was able to enter truly wild places.

Cheasty is not a truly wild place. It is not a wilderness.
    Attempting to keep it as such is disingenuous at best.

Have any of you ever been in there? I have. I've explored it
    (with pruners, a folding saw, and a trashbag). I tell you one thing -
    I've never seen any kids in there playing. I've seen a few random
    people with good intentions, but the majority of what I've seen is
    illicit use.

The woods should not be something to be feared, but rather
    enjoyed. And if having some small greenspace with trails allows the
    neighborhood to have some access to nature, I'm all for it. I can't
    believe that people would prefer to keep it used by illegal trash
    dumps simply because they are afraid of the sound of a mountain bike.
    I watched the video linked above and have to say 1st, I doubt any jump
    so big would be built in there, and 2nd, even in that video, the
    loudest sound is the yelp of excitement from the rider. Is that so
    bad? The sound of enjoyment? Also, I must point out that 99% of
    mountain biking looks nothing like that. The reason those guys
    bothered to make a video was because that was such an exceptional use.

I wish every citizen of this great country had the opportunity to
    go out an explore. To see the humbling, beautiful sights of our truly
    wild places. Especially for children. But neither you nor I can
    force any parents to take their kids deep into the woods to have a
    true wilderness experience. However, having some access to nature
    should be made available. Don't kill something good because it
    doesn't meet your definition of perfect.

I wonder if the statements I've seen about biking being elitist
    also apply to skateboarding? The city has paid for a skate park at
    Jefferson Park (and there's one just down the road at Judkins Park).
    Why are some sports elitist, and others aren't? I really can't
    understand this attitude. Shouldn't getting people out exercising be
    a priority?

Ultimately, this is how I see it. This forest is being used
    currently, but not legitimately. Some people would like to see it be
    restored, but are willing to let it die in order to keep out a large
    group of users who will take care of it because it isn't their
    preferred use.

If we are able to get this project up and running, and one single
    human being learns to love nature through these biking and hiking
    trails, I will consider the entire thing a success.

If you've gotten this far, I thank you for reading.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Wow, the comments thread on that Stranger article webpage is really sobering.

The contempt displayed toward cyclists in general and mtb trails specifically is astonishing. Its frustrating, because it seems obvious to me that many of the opposition are simply irrationally concerned. I'm confident that 10 years from now (or maybe just 1 or 2 years) they will realize that this wasn't a threat, and in fact was a net benefit . . . but in the interim I have no good ideas on how to convince them of that.

I don't understand where these anti-bike folks pick up these attitudes. I ride Grand Ridge all the time, and I encounter hikers there all the time, and I've never had anything worse than a polite exchange, but typically its a happy, warm exchange.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That's too bad about the Stranger comments, sounds like they've sunk to the level of the Times.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Why would a Mt biker ride there? I would rather see time, money and resources used where it would do some good. More resources out I-90 corridor comes to mind..

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven Trials View Post
    Why would a Mt biker ride there? I would rather see time, money and resources used where it would do some good. More resources out I-90 corridor comes to mind..
    Because if you ride but don't own a car, it is very difficult to get out the I-90 corridor.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by adelaarvaren View Post
    Because if you ride but don't own a car, it is very difficult to get out the I-90 corridor.
    Plus neighborhood single track is perfect for families and working stiffs alike.

It doesn't have to be miles, just enough to put a smile on your face and get some more kids out.
    Rolland

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I emailed the mayor and got this response:
    "I believe the Beacon Bike Park pilot project is moving forward. Community support for this project is pretty overwhelming and our Parks department is working closely with project organizers."

Very cool that they actually emailed back and the content of that email as well.

mtbr member

Re: Beacon Hill Bike Park -- public meeting 3/25 at 630pm in Seattle

Community outpourings are sentimental and personal.

The IMBA message is we should be the most reasonable persons in the room.

This is juxtaposed against my wife's(/Beatles) "all you need is love" never a bad idea.

So kill it with kindness and understanding and be willing at the organizational level to negotiate to a fair compromise.

I5Troll
    Thanks for the letters, all!

Covered above, but I'll chime in... Some reasons to ride there:

1) a fun before/after work work-out ride and place to build skills for existing Seattle riders who can't or don't want to make the drive in rush hour traffic to the east side.

2) a way to get into the sport for kids and families in the surrounding communities who can't or don't want to make the drive in rush hour traffic to Duthie, St Eds, etc.

3) a place that local kids and families will want to ride, learn on and build skills on.

4) a great ~2 mile (or more doing laps) stop-over on an urban ride. When we lived in the city, every bit of dirt or off-road or woods I could add to my urban rides tripled the experience. Eastlake to View Ridge (above Magnuson) via Colonnade, Interlaken Park, Burke-Gilman and city streets was more fun than just the BG and city streets alone. Would have been awesome to have this on way to Columbia City for lunch at one of the awesome ethnic restaurants... and on the way back depending on what we ate.

It'll also make Seattle a better place to live. These are the first of Seattle's ~120 miles of wooded trails that mt bikes will be allowed on. There are a lot more of these neglected wooded areas that are essentially garbage dumps. Look at an aerial image of the city. What if we could hook up a bunch of these?

mtbr member
    It's a 14 minute drive from my place, so I'd love another option for riding nearby!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy