mtbr member

Bad Luck at Paradise

Riding at PVCA on Sunday I lost some very nice sunglasses I had recently treated myself to. I have left a note at the trailhead but not holding my breath. Then got a flat tire today and eaten alive by Mosquitos while patching it. But both of those pale to what happened next. Broke my collar bone. Crashed off the bigger drop at the bottom of Cedar Run. Nice long painful walk out.

Big thanks to the guy and his son who gave me and my bike a lift home.
    Humans are unique in having the ability to learn from others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Moist and Delicious
    Heal quickly, man. Brutal day, but you'll heal. Hang in there!
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Dang dude, rough ride for sure. What kind of glasses were they? I get 45% of some Oakleys and might be able to hook you up.

I've broken my clavicle before, its no fun.

Wish you a speedy recovery.
    Last edited by Raggler; 07-25-2013 at 12:02 AM.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilely View Post
    Crashed off the bigger drop at the bottom of Cedar Run. Nice long painful walk out.
    That sucks- I assume it was the wood ladder drop, as opposed to the table at the end.
    Both hit a little funky, for both it's best to approach slowly and accelerate, as opposed to carrying speed.
    Hopefully it's a clean break and a speedy recovery. Beer is good for bone growth!

mtbr member
    to a fast recovery!

mtbr member
    Ouch that feature is taking it's toll! My brother in law broke his collarbone off that last drop as well a couple weeks ago. It's deceiving how much speed you lose on the woodwork, you really need to pedal hard at the end to get the right speed. Definitely a long walk out too. Bummer man, hope you heal fast!
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Yet another "heal fast!"
    Rolland

I didn't do it
    Crap that's the worst run of luck ever. Just drink a lot of beer to kill the pain and before you know it you'll be back in the saddle.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Sorry to hear it Eric. Interested to have you clarify exactly which drop you are talking about...the big one at the end of the ladder or the tabletop at the bottom?

Hope your healing is fast and painless!

mtbr member
    Not sure what is the "ladder" but I crashed on the elevated boardwalk near the bottom of Cedar Run. It has a fork to the left with a smaller drop or straight ahead to a larger drop. I went off the larger drop. I have gone off it many times before with no issue. I may have gone too slow or not lifted my front wheel enough but I landed on my front wheel which turned all the way to the left and I went over the bars landing to the right of the dirt landing ramp on my shoulder. I also had left my seat fully up which may have prevented me from being able to my weight back enough. Freaking Hurt! Took some time to get off my back. Worked hard to dig out my phone and found I had no signal, so being the middle a work day on a lesser used trail had no choice but to get up and try to make my way out. Note to self, in the future, no riding sections like that when riding solo.

Jon/Smilely
    Humans are unique in having the ability to learn from others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.