Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anybody been to either Tokuls lately?

Noticed the Tokul threads seem to be absent lately. Anybody have ride reports for either East or West? Had a killer ride at Tiger with Dawgman25 last night, but like hit Tokul(s) soon since I haven't been there in awhile.

Thanks for any RR posted.

Justin Vander Pol
    They are riding good right now. Tokul E was already loose and dry yesterday (riding in 90 degrees!!!).

Flowtron, Frontier, OGDH, Goosechase are fast and good right now, but starting to get loose.

MidTown has been reopened after logging, and is a great ride.

Crazy Ivan is rideable from the pump track down. The steep part of Upper Ivan is rideable, but is still being worked on. Lower Ivan is mint as always. We haven't yet reopened KGB after the logging, but it's in the plans.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I've ridden both sides this spring (West multiple times), and I have to say, I'm impressed with how little damage the logging did. We cleared some trails while we were out there, and could see that other work had been done.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    There's a blowdown on the upper ivan re-route. That wind storm last week did some damage!
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad III

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

"Trying is the first step towards failure"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've taken quite some time off riding there but rode a few weekends ago. Nice! Lots of riders. Trails in good shape, might need some drainage on the one off the powerlines at the NT sign. Ivan?

mtbr member
    We rode Tokul East last Sunday.
    We rode:
    Flowtron- loose and rocky with horse damage, but rideable.
    OGDH- Upper and Lower were as good as ever!
    Midtown- Areas in the trees is still amazing, areas in the clearcut were loose and dusty. Still fun though.
    Goose Chase- It hasnt been logged, so it holds moisture better and was in pretty good shape. Much better than Midtown.
    Ivan pumptrack- Perfect shape and untouched by logging.
    Upper Ivan- The first few switchbacks were the same as always, still has trees. The area below the tricky rooty switchback has been clearcut. The trail was still a lot of fun and in good shape, but without trees you can see how steep it is and it is very intimidating. Adds a whole another level of excitement to the trail.
    Lower Ivan- As amazing as ever. Untouched by logging and still one of my favorites.

It also appears KGB is being restored, but I couldn't find an obvious entrance to it.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    Upper Ivan- The area below the tricky rooty switchback has been clearcut. The trail was still a lot of fun and in good shape, but without trees you can see how steep it is and it is very intimidating. Adds a whole another level of excitement to the trail.
    Isn't that a trip?

mtbr member
    I was with some REALLY good technical riders, we all ride everything at Whistler, and almost every single person said "holy S!" when they came out of the trees and saw the exposure. it was really cool. I also enjoyed standing on the road at the bottom and watch my buddies work their way down.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Upper Crazy Ivan was exciting before. That exposure adds a whole new level of crazy while trying to ride switch backs down the face of a cliff. There were some consequences to coming off those switch backs before but at least you'd hit a tree and hang up.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Just wait...TKE2.0 coming soon...

mtbr member
    Sweet! It's nice having nearby, legal, steep technical trails in the area. Tiger is great an all, but there isn't really any steep tech out there (yet).
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    West has been minty fresh the past few weeks with the perfect day and night time temps and some foggy moisture. Bypass reminded one rider of the Boot Camp DH at Doofie even...

More goodness to come as well. Slop has a WP posted on the Evergreen calendar for this Saturday. C'mon out!

If the new proposed line for the "it's not really a DH" trail at Tigger is making some regular DH folks on the circuit a bit hesitant, it will be burley... Hope it is skidiot proof. That's what was the demise of upper Ivan and Mid-Frown as well. (Sounds like the upper line to KGB and the pump track start is back open?)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    All that ish at East is definitely more intimidating looking after the clear cuts. My wife still hates me for Midtown...

Rode that area (Ivan/Midtown) two weeks ago or so and it was super loose and dry. I'm waiting for a little more rain before heading out there again to see how things shape up. Safety First was in great shape and Gun Range is super over-grown, although still fun in a way. Last Frontier seems to be abandoned/slowly eroding away.

Everything at Tokul West is riding great.

I like Tiger and all but for some reason am way more drawn to Tokul. Absolutely love the place, connecting East and West in one day is an amazing ride if you ask me, one I personally prefer over anything at Tiger.

mtbr member
    Totally agree! After the rains this weekend TE should be in amazing shape. I'm curious at what point it will go from tacky to muddy though. TE use to be our go to wet weather spot, but the clear cutting really knock it down a peg.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Justin Vander Pol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    Totally agree! After the rains this weekend TE should be in amazing shape. I'm curious at what point it will go from tacky to muddy though. TE use to be our go to wet weather spot, but the clear cutting really knock it down a peg.
    We'll get Ivan and KGB going good again once the rains hit, but I haven't even been out there this summer.

Several reroutes in the works for Ivan xc, upper Ivan and KGB. Flowtron should be nice once the ground is wet and there's a day of maintenance on it. It always got blown out in the summer, even more so without trees. But in winter, it'll be nice. That's the magic of Tokul.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Considering how dry its been this summer, all the trails in the midtown, flowtron area seemed in pretty good shape. Which trail is goose chase?
    Last edited by trailhore; 10-09-2014 at 09:50 PM.

EMBA Member
    Having only ridden out there twice and not wanting to piss anyone off but it sort of seems like a mini-Tiger out there to me. You ride up on to the ridge and you ride down. I don't really like riding out there without a permit but at this time of year I think I will wait till Jan for the yearly purchase. I need to get out there on a Sunday and spend all day; trying to see the area in the couple of hours before work during the week isn't quite optimal. Slim
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race" H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Just back from a Tokul ride and the trails are running really nice right now. Like Bornie said, we're working on a couple trails at T West Saturday morning. Info is on the Evergreen calendar. Also, pm me if you're interested in doing trail work at Tokul this winter, and I'll add you to my email list.

mtbr member
    Good to hear there's still work happening out there. I was there so much last year I got a bit burned out and haven't been yet this year. Though typically late fall is when it starts getting good anyway

Can't imagine taking my wife down midtown, she'd kill me!
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Also, just wanted to remind folks to start wearing bright orange colors...hunting season starts this weekend in the Tokul woods. Tokul is in the 460 zone...
    Summary of General Hunting Season Dates | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

Cheers,
    Mike

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by jalm111 View Post
    All that ish at East is definitely more intimidating looking after the clear cuts. My wife still hates me for Midtown...

Rode that area (Ivan/Midtown) two weeks ago or so and it was super loose and dry. I'm waiting for a little more rain before heading out there again to see how things shape up. Safety First was in great shape and Gun Range is super over-grown, although still fun in a way. Last Frontier seems to be abandoned/slowly eroding away.

Everything at Tokul West is riding great.

I like Tiger and all but for some reason am way more drawn to Tokul. Absolutely love the place, connecting East and West in one day is an amazing ride if you ask me, one I personally prefer over anything at Tiger.
    I won't be around to take care of the Gunrange area any more. Moving to Japan will do that to a guy. Take care of the area, guys... it's special.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mbcracken View Post
    Also, just wanted to remind folks to start wearing bright orange colors...hunting season starts this weekend in the Tokul woods. Tokul is in the 460 zone...
    Summary of General Hunting Season Dates | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

Cheers,
    Mike
    I'm gonna practice with my orange shirt today, I think.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the work you put in!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Really hoping that we get the details wrapped up and can start on the 3 miles of new trail that we have planned in West. Will get you all of the roads more and help tighten up the system. Though many will still get "lost".

mtbr member
    I dont mind getting lost if it is on singletrack!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast