mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Any skibikers around here?

I recently converted a cheap full susp frame to take short ski blades. I have been going up to Snoqualmie the last few weeks and am having a blast. Going up again Sat night. Was wondering if anybody else around here has tried it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I guess that is a no. I was hoping there were some other goofs around here. It really is a fun way to enjoy the slopes and put some spare bike parts to use.

Trophy Husband
    I have been putting spare box in a box for something like this...I don't have a frame, skis or conversion yet. Looks like a ton of fun and a great way to pi$$ off most of the *****bags on the mountain.
    Last edited by geolover; 02-02-2012 at 11:53 PM.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You can do it pretty cheap. I used a craigslist med full susp diamondback frame $100. $100 boxer fork, and $40 ski boards. Built the brackets and footpegs myself. Also bought a lanyard for $20 off ebay. If I were to do it again I would look for a small frame. I ride a large on the trail but it seems like a shorter top tube/ wheelbase is ideal for turning them on the steep stuff. You can even use a cheap mongoose frame/fork and if you decide you enjoy it than look for better frame and fork to upgrade later. I would recomend a 20mm fork or at least using bolt on axles front and rear. Stiffness at the front and rear seem to be an even bigger issue than with wheels. I have been having a blast on the thing. Have not had anybody verbalize dislike for it. Constantly have people want to look at and ride it though.

I didn't do it
    Do you have any pics of that badboy in action? I bet you get some great looks when you go flying by on that setup.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I built one for my kid. Fully rigid bmx bike and used inverted skateboard trucks for the attachment to the skis.
    Yeah, it's semi amusing to do in the yard but oh so lame on the ski hill IMHO.

But, to each their own.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    I built one for my kid. Fully rigid bmx bike and used inverted skateboard trucks for the attachment to the skis.
    Yeah, it's semi amusing to do in the yard but oh so lame on the ski hill IMHO.

But, to each their own.
    That is kinda like riding a huffy on your first mountain biking trip and then saying mountain biking is lame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    Do you have any pics of that badboy in action? I bet you get some great looks when you go flying by on that setup.
    Ill get one a little later. If you youtube skibike there is some pretty good videos of homemade bikes as well as lenz sport bikes. I ski for many years and I find it a fun new challenge. Something different.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thehotrodpig View Post
    That is kinda like riding a huffy on your first mountain biking trip and then saying mountain biking is lame.
    No comparison.I don't want to start another e-argument. We get that from the deweydude guy who swears by it and posts about his ski bike deals every winter. I've ridden the FS ski bikes as well but, to me, it's no different than being on snowlerblades and you know how much respect they get out there.
    But, like I said, to each their own.... I just verbalized part of why you initially were not seeing any traffic here. That's all.. As long as you are having fun, who cares? Right? Just wanted to throw out there how easy I made one out of a bmx bike as an option.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Two questions:

1. They let you take it on the lifts?

2. How do you stop?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Two questions:

1. They let you take it on the lifts?

2. How do you stop?
    Yup, they allow them on the lift. Just have to have a lanyard. You stop the same way you do on skis or a snowboard, just use the edges and slide it.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    No comparison.I don't want to start another e-argument. We get that from the deweydude guy who swears by it and posts about his ski bike deals every winter. I've ridden the FS ski bikes as well but, to me, it's no different than being on snowlerblades and you know how much respect they get out there.
    But, like I said, to each their own.... I just verbalized part of why you initially were not seeing any traffic here. That's all.. As long as you are having fun, who cares? Right? Just wanted to throw out there how easy I made one out of a bmx bike as an option.
    Huh, I guess I did not realize that they had the rep power system on the ski slopes. I get tired of all the people telling me how cool it is so i guess i did not realize i was getting negative rep points.......For as much as a lift tickets are now a days I don't care if someone wants to ride there thumb down the mountain, its their money.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk