Build More = Ride More

Any online free topo map servers?

I found one a while ago and can't seem to find it again. It had detailed topos of everything and had trails too.

Can anyone help out? I'm too poor to buy a fancy GPS with topos and don't like carrying a big topo book.

meh....
    are you looking for digital copies of the usgs 7.5 minute topo maps? if so, google washington state drg and you'll find some sources. hope you have bandwidth.

i just did that search and some looked promising, but i didn't verify any of them. if you only need a few specific quads i have the whole state covered, i could/would email some specific ones to you.

check some of those out and post back how it went.

keep in mind that those topos are just that, topos. might not have the newest trails or all trails on them. usgs topos are a little behind in some areas.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    are you looking for digital copies of the usgs 7.5 minute topo maps? if so, google washington state drg and you'll find some sources. hope you have bandwidth.

i just did that search and some looked promising, but i didn't verify any of them. if you only need a few specific quads i have the whole state covered, i could/would email some specific ones to you.

check some of those out and post back how it went.

keep in mind that those topos are just that, topos. might not have the newest trails or all trails on them. usgs topos are a little behind in some areas.
    Those will work! Thanks.

I still would like to find out what that web site was I had found. It was pretty much a free google maps Topo type system. Should have written it down before installing my new hard drive and operating system.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    Those will work! Thanks.

I still would like to find out what that web site was I had found. It was pretty much a free google maps Topo type system. Should have written it down before installing my new hard drive and operating system.
    if you find it again, post a link, eh?

Slothful dirt hippie
    If it was Topozone.com, they were swallowed by trails.com and now you have to pay to get 'em.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    May 2008
    mapper.acme.com is my current favorite.

I used to love topozone.com... too bad

mtbr member
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Last word is all yours...
    http://opencyclemap.org/

The site is a little unwieldy, but the data is decent and free.

A bit of a tangent from what you asked, but if anyone drops coin on an iPhone, there is an app (MotionX GPS) for it which integrates with these maps to give you real-time GPS location on the opencycle topo maps. Also, there is another app called TopoPointUSA which pulls down selected quads from the USGS server and overlays them with your GPS location in real-time. You can pull the quads you care about down in advance and save them on the phone for use in a completely data/cell-devoid environment (e.g. use only GPS).
    --
    -bp

Build More = Ride More
    Found it. Just had to look on one of my old print outs to find the name.

http://www.mytopo.com/maps.cfm

This is easily the best free one on the internet. I smell a conspiracy though. Google doesn't list it when searching for topo maps, but Yahoo does. I suspect it has to do with the jack-ass web sites trying to gouge you for $$$ on maps done by the government that can be downloaded for free. Total joke.

Another reason it's the best is that their re-sampling software uses a bi-cubic algorithm for ultra clear prints.
    Last edited by YoPawn; 08-28-2009 at 09:46 AM.

Slothful dirt hippie
    THANK YOU!!! *bookmarks for future reference*

I would always advise getting FS maps + whatever else one can dig up in addition to these though. I've been mislead while skijoring up in the Blewitt pass with no less than 3 maps in hand, including at least 1 FS map and a snow park map both with conflicting trail numbering systems... and a sign ripped off a tree and the face nearly chewed off by porcupines didn't help either... Fortunately someone @ the FS office in Cle Elum was working on it already when I reported the problem.

For some reason ORV trails in some areas seem to get a lot of sign vandalism/theft. I noticed a few missing signs at the top of Hereford a few weeks ago- also reported to the FS and supposedly being checked out FWIW.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Last edited by guillaumevk; 07-03-2014 at 02:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I use Gmap4, which pulls in various different maps, including the new high quality shaded USGS maps (better or as good as MyTopo w/o the MyTopo logo all over them) as well as MyTopo maps.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php

Tiger Mountain for instance: http://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.ph...6784&z=15&t=t1

The dropdown menu in the upper right is where you choose which type of map to view.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You can access USGS maps (images of them anyway) of different size's and Arial photographs to match at MSR Maps Maps change size's as you zoom in. I use this for quick reference.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    I use wilderness.net's online map as a resource. Since it automatically includes the boundaries to the so-called "wilderness" areas, I can tell what the heck I can and cannot ride.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I use Topofusion to manage my gpx files, and although you pay for some of their versions, they pull in free maps nicely from all sorts of sources, including the USGS topo servers. The application itself does much more of course, but I find it handy for quickly referencing topos.