mtbr member

Any new Wilderness in Washington?

I'm down here in Oregon and we got some trails taken away by the new Wilderness Bill, How did you Washingtonian's do? I searched a little but didn't find much in the usual news venues. I was mainly wondering about the areas/trails around Mt St Helens and Mt Adams.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

I should be out riding
    Pretty sure WA was spared this time, but our day is coming. St. Helens seems to being pushed more as a National Park then as Wilderness.

Bummer the way OR got screwed in that deal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Kettle Crest is in the process, no word yet if the Forest Supervisor has identified any of the Potential Wilderness Areas as suitable for Wilderness yet. Should find out soon.

http://evergreenmtb.org/wiki/index.p...e=Kettle_Crest

BUT there is a radically LAME movement called the Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act that can trump the Wilderness process and nullify the work that has been done, and create massive Wilderness. Bypassing any public input process, it's a very very bad deal.

There was a good debate thread in Passion about it...

Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act (NREPA)
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Slothful dirt hippie
    FWIW I've promised to take my mom up for a hike on the trails above Roslyn so she can witness first hand the 'massive damage' that mountain bikes do on the forest. I'm willing to front money right now that she finds them a WHOLE lot narrower and less rutted out than the 'Wilderness' trail we used to get into Pete lake last spring.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr
    FWIW I've promised to take my mom up for a hike on the trails above Roslyn so she can witness first hand the 'massive damage' that mountain bikes do on the forest. I'm willing to front money right now that she finds them a WHOLE lot narrower and less rutted out than the 'Wilderness' trail we used to get into Pete lake last spring.
    Yah if you go on some of the popular ones you can see alot of trash, people on cel phones. It's really silly in many ways.

But yah the argument always shifts. Denying bikes access from trail erosion doesn't have too much traction anymore. If you look around the IMBA site you can find the study that equates impact similar to hiking.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum
    ...But yah the argument always shifts. Denying bikes access from trail erosion doesn't have too much traction anymore. If you look around the IMBA site you can find the study that equates impact similar to hiking.
    Well, until someone pulls their head out and allows MTBs to be thoughtfully allowed on various Wilderness trails... I think we'll see our kids bickering about this on whatever medium they've got available.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr
    Well, until someone pulls their head out and allows MTBs to be thoughtfully allowed on various Wilderness trails... I think we'll see our kids bickering about this on whatever medium they've got available.
    Y'know everytime i talk to someone who doesn't recreate much, and they ask about mt. biking, and the topic of access comes up... i usually state that in "Wilderness" Designation we are banned, and the usual response is "What really? That's stupid."

Yes, yes it is.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Paper Street
    Thank Harry Reid for this goatf(*& of a law tacked on as pork to an unrelated bill after it failed in it's initial try. Pathetic.

mtbr member

Mt St Helen's

Dont mean to Hijack, but...

Anybody know the latest on the Monument vs National Park issue up at Mt St Helens. There is a meeting tonight at the Cowlitz county courthouse about this issue. Wondering where I should stand?

Justin Vander Pol
    Quote Originally Posted by subydoo

Anybody know the latest on the Monument vs National Park issue up at Mt St Helens. There is a meeting tonight at the Cowlitz county courthouse about this issue. Wondering where I should stand?
    Contact Jon Kennedy at Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance. Jon has been Evergreen's point person on this issue. call 206 524-29OO or email him at:
    jon (at) evergreenmtb (dot) org.

Jon can give you the details, but last I heard the position was that Evergreen is open to constructive ideas that preserve all of our trail access.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subydoo

Here's something for you. Mt St Helens on OPB Radio It's from a talk show in Portland called Think Out Loud, not a bad show, at least in my opinion. They talk a little about the National Park issue toward the end.

There's a little play button below the title "Fishery or Labratory" to listen to the show.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Members who have read this thread: 0