mtbr member

Angels Staircase in the wet?

Anyone ride it when it's wet? We have a hotel in Winthrop with plans of riding Angel's this weekend. Any input on how it holds out in the wet? We'll just hike if it's too crappy to ride, but I am curious if anyone has any experience riding around Winthrop/Twisp after some rain? Does it drain well? Not a good place to be after some moisture? We've had this ride planned for a while now, but we'll bail out if we have to, we don't want to wreck to the trail.

mtbr member
    Hint its granite...

A couple years ago Art and I pedaled up to Cooney Lake and about half way it went from drizzle to showers. At Cooney the clouds were at the lakes 7000' level. I brought some dryer lint and striker and it was like about noon to 1pm so we failed at making a fire for about an hour or so. So much for a career as survivor man. Another group eventually made the lake and after a while they noticed it was clearing and they pushed on and we followed. It was cloudy and cool at 8000' but it never rained the rest of that day and it was grand as always.

The trail conditions are actually better with a little moisture. Late summer it gets dusty and it should be perfect again by now.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    We rode it last weekend and were commenting that with a little moisture, conditions would be perfect. A local group (don't remember which one) did top notch work on the martin creek trail, fixing the tread, creating positive drainage. If it's only raining very lightly I would think it would ride good. But it would be a shame to do all that work only to miss out on the views.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Yeah I'd try regardless. The weather is unpredictable at that altitude, but you don't have to worry about the trail as much as your own comfort.

Best conditions I've seen on the eagle lakes descent was morning after spending a very rainy night near boiling lake.

mtbr member
    I appreciate the input, especially concerning the trail. We've ridden it twice now in early September with dry and dusty conditions, so we thought we'd push it out a bit later this year. Oops. NOAA forecast on the passes is calling for snow, so it may end up being an OAB to Cooney, better than no ride I suppose. Just hoping we can retain feeling in the hands and toes and for some nice colors.

mtbr member
    my buddies road it yesterday...it was dialed.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Cooney and back is super fun. More tech than eagle lakes descent.

And the larches are probably changing by now!

mtbr member
    Well, unless we get some weird warm weather in the next few weeks don't bother trying to do this one until next Summer. Weather was looking bad all the way over from Eastern Washington Friday, but mostly dry. We got up bright and early to bad looking but still dry conditions Saturday morning. Had a hearty breakfast at Antlers in Twisp a little after 6am. By the time we left there was a light drizzle, which turned to a steady pour by the time we hit Carlton. Driving up to the trailhead it switched back to a drizzle and heavy fog, so we decided to make a go at it. The drizzle and fog (Foggy Dew, if you will..(har har)) was do able until about 6k where it became heavy rain and sleet, snow was accumulating. We made it to Martin Lake spur soaked to the core and numb in the extremities, we could take no more. Ran into one lone backpacker who was hiking out from two nights at Cooney, he said there was at least 4 inches and more falling when he left, much more snow on Angel's he says. We retreated to Winthrop with only 13 miles and 2500' under our tires.

Angels Staircase in the wet?-imgp5875.jpg

Angels Staircase in the wet?-imgp5874.jpg

G'nTFO by imalwaysriding, on Flickr

The view from Winthrop into the Mountains this morning;

Morning After by imalwaysriding, on Flickr
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Wow, what a change. We rode it last weekend and this was the view from Angels Staircase. Good on you though for giving it a shot and knowing when to say when.

Last word is all yours...
    Good on you, woodway - that pic is money. I'll keep dreaming.
    --
    -bp

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Right on Kyle, great report!

I've certainly gotten skunked a few times...Angel's doesn't come easy!

I've also seen some moisture up there:

IMG_4501 by emailsucks98, on Flickr