mtbr member
    May 2008

Adventure recommendations in Washington

I'm planning a trip with some friends and one of the places we're considering is the Pacific Northwest. They don't mountain bike but are adventurous and enjoy hiking.

I'm hoping to have close to two weeks.

Some questions I have are:

1. Would late August be the best time to go? Less crowded with school being in session, or are there other months that get less rain?

2. Would taking a trip down to Bend and Crater Lake National Park be worth it? I've been to Portland and Oakridge, but never Bend. I've always to check it out Bend, but I'm not sure if it'll be worth the extra time and cost.

3. What is the best mountain biking spot within an hour or two from Seattle?

4. Doesn't Seattle have a trail under some bridges? If so, where is that? I probably wouldn't bother riding it, but could be fun to check out.

5. What National Parks would you recommend? What would you recommend for a 4-5 day backcountry adventure?

6. We may consider doing a guided day tour for something more adventurous that we couldn't do on our own (like canyoning). Any recommendations?

I'm also going to head up to Vancouver and Whistler with my wife and toddler. I'll probably bike for at least a day up there and go hiking with the family. Any recommendations for that?

Fat-tired Roadie
    1. Probably dry, maybe even too much so. September is often really beautiful.

3. Inside an hour, I like Tiger Mountain. Duthie Hill is worth a visit too, depending on what kind of riding you like. Two hours I think is long enough to get to Capitol Forest and Galbraith. Check out evergreenmtb.org.

4. Yes.

5. Mt. Rainier.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks AndrwSwitch for the info. As far as riding, I'll be looking for anything that's unique to the area. I would prefer flow and scenery over technical. I'm not looking for anything extremely technical, but moderately technical is fine. I loved biking Oakridge, OR...Alpine is one of my favorite trails I've ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Hey guys,
    Ya if you want a beautiful place to hike you should go to Mt Rainier but stay away from the main public areas, There is lots of great places to mountain bike, including the Galbrath MT, up near Bellingham on your way to B.C. if you're going there. We really have a ton of great places in Washington, Mt Baker, Mt rainier, Mt St Helens, still cool to see the eruption site, Mt Adams, Olympic mountain range, all have great hiking and mountain biking.

mtbr member
    1. Schools actually start in this area right after labor day so they will still be on break in August. Expect plenty of sunshine through July and August.

2. Would taking a trip down to Bend and Crater Lake National Park be worth it? ABSOLUTELY. Crater Lake is truly one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Words can't really describe different colors of mineral deposits. Bend is an awesome town with tons to do in the summer. Great trails within a half hour, underground lava tubes are super fun, good golf in the city, and some fun breweries. I love it there.

3. What is the best mountain biking spot within an hour or two from Seattle? Definitely Duthie Hill bike park within an hour. pushing two 2 3 but look into Galbraith up in Bellingham.

4. Doesn't Seattle have a trail under some bridges? It is called I-5 Colonnade and it is pretty incredible. it is built directly under Interstate-5 in downtown Seattle. Even if you don't ride it it's worth looking at.

5. Have a look at the Olympic Peninsula. It is a very different environment over there. Tons of backcountry in gorgeous temperate rainforest and coastline. There some sizable mountains there also that are available that time of year. It only takes a few hours out of Seattle by car or ferry but it's fun. They actually get most of the rainfall and block some from Seattle so the forest is extremely healthy.

6. We may consider doing a guided day tour for something more adventurous that we couldn't do on our own (like canyoning). Any recommendations? That time of year I would recommend trying to hook up with a salmon guide, crab boat, or something along those lines. Both seasons are open then and the numbers have been very good the last few years. With all of your hiking, biking, and lava tubing, a little aquatic activity in August is just what the doctor ordered.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The Nat'l Park Service doesn't allow bikes on Olympic National Park trails, except for the old railroad grade (part of the Olympic Discovery Trail) along Lake Crescent.
    Lower Dungeness/Gold Creek is a popular spot for mt biking. I was up there observing the near-record Pink Salmon run last Fall, and saw a lot of riders coming down the trail.

Although known as a rainy place, WA state actually enjoys near drought-like rainfall patterns from late July thru mid Sept. Weather forecasters are predicting an "El Nino" this summer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    5. What National Parks would you recommend? What would you recommend for a 4-5 day backcountry adventure?

6. We may consider doing a guided day tour for something more adventurous that we couldn't do on our own (like canyoning). Any recommendations?

From your post, I am not sure if you are looking for mountain biking tips at all, but then you are on a mountain biking forum! We did the 4-day Mt. Hood loop from Cascade Huts and had a great time. Ride report here:
    Mt. Hood Loop | 2wheeltrails

mtbr member
    Mt. St. Helens! You can bike AND have killer hikes all in the same area. Ape Caves are worth checking out, and he riding out there is amazing too.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonguy View Post

From your post, I am not sure if you are looking for mountain biking tips at all, but then you are on a mountain biking forum! We did the 4-day Mt. Hood loop from Cascade Huts and had a great time. Ride report here:
    Mt. Hood Loop | 2wheeltrails
    Looking for both: mountain biking and hiking and anything else. Based on the replies there are plenty of options, it'll just be a matter of narrowing it down

I didn't do it
    Are you in shape? Many of the really good rides around here require a pretty good uphill grind.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Are you in shape? Many of the really good rides around here require a pretty good uphill grind.
    Yeah, I'm in good shape. I live a couple hours from the mountains, but enjoy a solid day of climbing if there's good reward

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Yeah, I'm in good shape. I live a couple hours from the mountains, but enjoy a solid day of climbing if there's good reward
    Cool, I'd hate for you to be looking forward to a great ride only to get wasted on the uphills. There's a lot of good recommendations so far so definitely try to get one or two of the rides in. Mt St Helens and the Dungeness rides are spectacular. If you go, take the camera and impress your friends back home.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives