mtbr member
    Jul 2014

1x10 for Washington

Broke my RD yesterday and am thinking of redoing the cheap drive train with Shimano Zee. I do ride hard, and seing as its a cheap bike, im not afraid to bash the hell out of it. Zee looks like it can handle some abuse and is in a decent price range.

I was just wondering if theres any reason for me to stick with a 8speed triple, or just go with the Zee. Also open to other options, but cost is a factor atm.

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    I had a sram rd and went zee. Biggest thing I've noticed is how quiet the drivetrain is now. Shifting has been good although it took a bit of tweaking to get things right. But once it was I've been impressed and haven't looked back

Cannonball!
    Zee is a great bang for the buck, normally I would say ditch the front derailleur and never look back! However, if your bike is old enough to have 8 speed drivetrain, take a serious look at whether it is worthwhile upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Actually, it's a 2015 model giant talon. I've got a very low end version, hence the 8 speed. I'm not in much of a position to spend much money on anything right now that's why I'm looking for a good bang for buck.

I've finally convinced my wife that I can't part with my cervelo, so convincing her I need some new bike parts is gonna be an uphill battle. :P

But I'm glad to hear the positive responses on Zee. Think its gonna be the way to go for me.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Who-stole-my-name? View Post
    I've finally convinced my wife that I can't part with my cervelo, so convincing her I need some new bike parts is gonna be an uphill battle. :P

But I'm glad to hear the positive responses on Zee. Think its gonna be the way to go for me.
    Well I'm still unconvinced.

Anyhow- Zee is good stuff, but keep in mind the rear derailuers are short cage, meant for a limited gear range for freeride/downhill riding.

You might look at SLX, which is about the same pricepoint as Zee, but the rear derailuer is available in mid & long cages which can handle a cassette with wider range.

No reason to keep your triple!

1x10 with a 12-36 cassette paired with a 30 or 32t front chainring is a good gearing spread (although your cranks might not allow a 30t). This gearing would work with the Zee, but if you wanted to go with easier gears like a 42t in back, the SLX mid cage would work while the zee short cage might not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Well I'm still unconvinced. ; )
    My life would be so much better if I could just spend all her money. Haha.

Anyways, slx was the first thing I was looking at but the durability of zee is very enticing. They do offer 11-32/4/6 for a wider range, when paired with a 30t crank should be a decent gear range.

Regardless if I go zee or not, the crank has to go. The cheap suntour feels like a bag of bricks!

mtbr member
    A lot of people I ride with have 1x10. A few run a 30t front ring and have an 11-36t cassette. They can handle doing multiple laps at Tiger and Tokul East, but there is some complaining on the really steep parts.
    On my fatbike I went 1x10 with a 30t up front and the 42t convresion in back. Having that big 42t to fall back on is a big help.

If you plan on doing to the 42t swap down the road I'd recommend a Sram X7 type 2. The Zee doesnt work with the 42t and the SLX doesnt work as well as the SRAM does.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Does anyone have a dialed-in parts list and gearing ratios for converting Shimano XT 2x10 to 1x10?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyc View Post
    Does anyone have a dialed-in parts list and gearing ratios for converting Shimano XT 2x10 to 1x10?
    Google can help you out for more ratios depending on what chainring you run up front. Here are some charts to get you started.
    1x10 for Washington-1x-10-speed-11-speed-xx1-xtr-gear-ratio-comparison-chart.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I don't understand the attraction to the OP of 1x10 as a cost saving measure.

You only need a new RD at a minimum to get your 3x8 running again. For that, you can find a used RD for $10-20 and be riding. But the move to 1x10 means you need not only a more expensive RD, but also a new shifter, a new cassette, and a new chain. That isn't going to save any money.

You've also stated that your cranks must be replaced. So essentially you're talking about an entirely new drivetrain, with the sole exception of a front derailleur.

From my perspective, if you need to conserve every penny, just get any Shimano 8 or 9 speed MTB RD from eBay or craigs or Bikeworks, and get riding.

But if you can afford to spend as little as $250, then you can completely replace your entire drivetrain with M670 SLX from a UK site like ribblecyles.co.uk and have a completely uncompromised, perfectly functioning 2x10 or 3x10 with new shifters, cranks, chain, cassette, FD and RD. Or choose Deore components and you can probably do it for less than $175.

The 42T rear aftermarket cogs that people above are mentioning are $60+ alone, and a narrow/wide chainring will be another $50 minimum. Add the shifter, RD, chain, cassette and cranks and its pretty clear that 1x10 isn't a recipe for saving money in your case.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Who-stole-my-name? View Post
    If it wasn't apparent from my post above, you should consider that the Zee derailleur is Dynasys, which has a dramatically different cable pull ratio than your 8 speed shifters. So replacing only your RD with a Zee is not a viable option. We're not talking less-than-deal shifting . . . we're talking un-rideable in 5 or 6 of the 8 gears.

All Shimano 7/8/9 speed MTB and 7/8/9/10 speed road derailleurs have a common cable pull ratio (with an exception for a rare Duraace model). But all Shimano 10 speed MTB use a very different ratio that cannot be mixed with the others.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I might have gotten ahead of myself in saying the crank needs to go. It does, but that's more of a long term project. And it's certainly nothing that's a major issue, I just don't like the damn thing.

I understand that I'm gonna need a whole new rear setup if I go zee. RD, cassette, shifters, ect. I'm Trying to save money by NOT dumping cash into another cheap rd only to replace it again down the road. I hate the 8 speed gearing ratio I currenty have, so I'm hoping 10 speed will suit my needs better.

The fd/crank thing is just whatever. In all likelihood it'll just stay that way for a while. But a heavy duty rd is Something I DO feel I need and if I'm going with something new, I might as well try something new.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    deleted
    Last edited by Carmichael; 10-24-2014 at 09:40 AM.

Slothful dirt hippie
    FWIW Dan let me try his Ibis in 1x mode a few weeks ago. Keeping things simple is very attractive, but by the time we'd climbed the ridge and come back down Rat Pac I can say that it seems like a solution in search of a problem, and I'm definitely not a convert for the kind of terrain we've got around here.

The 22x36 granny that warmonkey helped me lash up OTOH will be pried out of my cold dead hands.... probably at the top of some 2,000' climb, lol.....
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    30t or 32t front and 42t rear mod. It's a fairly cheap mod and well worth it. If I can get my 33lb fatbike to Tiger summit with that gearing no problem, then it should work fine for a lot of riders.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    I won't go to a 1x10 just yet.

Now a 1x13 or 14 would do nicely.

For me since I suck so bad at climbing, the minimum low gear I need is 20x34, so the front would have to be a 30x44 or hopefully a 32x48, but I think Action-Tec are the only ones making cogs that big for the back.

Really, 1x14 is just around the corner. Shimano has had 14 in the back since '99! Man, they have been sitting on that and waiting, waiting, and waiting. I think chains are finally there too coupled with the wider rear spacing.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....