Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1/2/09 WTA Grand Ridge Trail Work

907 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Skookum 
#1 ·
The wind was blowing and the trees were swaying but we went in anyway. We worked on drainage issues north of Grand Ridge Drive. We're battling clay patches on an old road bed in an area that gets no sun during the winter months. The trail is mucky in the spots where we worked so it would be a good idea to wait for a few days after it rains to ride it. The toter threw a track but as luck would have it some one had the right size wrench in their truck. We dug dirt mines and hauled rock. Work parties this Tues - Sat an more next month.

See less See more
#4 ·
Back again for another great day of mud and rocks. This time we were working south of Grand Ridge drive. Also we had a new toter so no problems. Turn pike will be covered with gravel or dirt later. A few weeks ago a passing rider made out a check to WTA for $75. The latest on the bog......no news.
It was way too warm for January.

#5 ·
They're doing some good work on Grand Ridge. I rode GR and Duthie from the Rogue last week, and it was a ton of fun, but probably needed another day or two to dry out--especially with the recent tread work. Man, that's a grind of a ride, and really fun. You think it's pretty easy with reasonable vert based on the maps, but it sure feels like a whole lotta climbing on the way back.

The work they've done lately definitely has better flow in the corners than what WTA has done in the past (off camber, ditch on the outside, decreasing radius turn, ugh). It's really making the ride more fun. There must be more bikers involved. I'd sure like to get out there and help them a bit, but it's tough when the other choices of trailwork are Evergreen work parties at places like Duthie, Tiger, Hansen Ridge, etc.

Soil conditions and ground water are not ideal at GR, so even when they get it upgraded a bit more, the place is still going to need a couple days to dry out after rains. The forest sure is beautiful through there.

#6 ·
Mileage question

Juice, what's the mileage from the Rogue out to Duthie and back? I know someday soon we'll get to add Beaver Lake to that string as well which will make for an awesome out and back to a pint. Too bad the Rogue doesn't have an outside patio for those warm post ride summer months.

#7 ·
Not sure on the exact mileage because we also added a few loops at Duthie. I'd say from Rogue to where Grand Ridge Parks ends at Issy-Fall City Rd is approx 7.5 miles.

Man, after that ride I was thinking I should move to Issaquah (knowing the wife would never go for it), but then trying to find food after 10:30, I realized (one of the many reasons) why I live in Seattle.

#8 ·
Dave posted mileage from the parking to the end of the trail.

Rode it today going on positive reports, but yah it was a greasy poopy run in spots. The new reroute after the new and old trails merge on the Southern end. It's so much nicer just to get out of the muck on the old route and the subsequent disaster in ditchworking that was thankfully scrapped. Anyways i noticed there that they still were ditching the low side of the turns instead of doing grade reversals... Not good for long term.

The turnpike with round rocks i certainly hope that is a tread base and not the planned tread. That's just silly... like when they filled turnpikes at Skookum with sand haha.

That section of trail before the new bridge is fantastic (btw the new bridge is fabulous) but it's been done in a mt. bike specific manner. Who worked there Dave? My only concern is how is that long sweeping berm going to be able to hold up with horses occasionally romping through... If it holds up well then more power to the berm! All hail the WTA berm haha...

#11 ·
Dave_schuldt said:
we do what we can with the people we have....
Yup just like everyone.

Dave_schuldt said:
The plan is to use gravel so lots of toter runs.
That's good to know there are probably not a lot of people that can ride that longer one, especially when it's wet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.