mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Your favorite tires for the region

Just curious which tire combination you guys think is the hot ticket around here. I'm running 2.25 Ardents tubeless now but thinking about putting something different on the back. I ride Patapsco mostly.

mtbr member
    I run Nevegals mostly. Have them on the ss and the full squish. I haven't tried Ardents though, mostly because of the cost, but I hear they are the tits! You may already have the ticket

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've been running Kenda Excavators for a while now. I find them to be as grippy as Nevegals but not as slow rolling. I'm a fan. I ran some Ardents for about 6 months or so in the past and didn't find them to be anything extraordinary. They were OK. From Maxxis, I much prefer High Rollers but they are on the pricey side.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Panaracer Rampage are great at 2.35

mtbr member
    The conditions and trails change so much in our region that I do not believe there is one tire setup that works universally. My favorite tire setup to date was a Specialized The Captain control in the front with a Spec Fast Trak control in the rear. That setup was fast rolling and grippy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Nevegals with Maxxis Ardent in front. In the summer when conditions are dryer I might throw a Conti Race King or similar in the rear but keep either a Nev or Ardent in front. 29er SS tubeless sometimes rigid.

Helmetless Crasher
    Kenda excavators are nice in the cold sloppy leaf-covered months - super grippy on everything and durable. But kinda heavy and slow rolling for the faster summer months.

Schwalbe Rocket Ron's are awesome once things dry up a bit and the leaves are gone. Super light, fast rolling and grippy, but kinda fragile sidewalls.

Schwalbe Nobby Nic is a very good all-arounder that is grippy in most everything, fairly light, fairly fast rolling and relatively sturdy. Perform very well year round in a multitude of conditions.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the input. I ran Nevegals on one of my first bikes and felt like I was pulling a trailer. Grippy, though. Maybe I'll just stick with the Ardents for now until late summer when I might put something faster on the back.

mtbr member
    Ardent is a great front with a crossmark rear. Fast tire and is grippy. I like that setup for sure.

mk

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Crossmarks on one bike and Racing Ralphs on another as i prefer faster rolling.
    Yes....we do have XC around here. lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I use the Schwalbe nobby nics that came on my bike stock... They are incredibly grippy, like never lose traction grippy, and they are extremely durable, but they are just so darn slow. You will be riding fairly hard packed soil around here mostly. I would use something that emphasizes low rolling resistance like small block 8s. Those perform well on dirt trails I have found. Im extremely athletic and I sometimes get winded because my tires are so thick and knobby.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    ^ wow I find that Schwalbe Nobby Nics are fast definitely faster then the Kenda Navegals. But there are plenty of faster less rolling resistant tires for sure.

I'm a fan of the Nobby Nics but for me hands down I love my Schwalbe Hans Dampf tires. They are kinda heavy and slow but damn are they grippy in all sorts of conditions from wet and rooty to hard packed and soft packed trails. Love the snake skin side walls too.

I tried out the WTB wolverines 2.2 and thought they were great until I rode them on a slightly wet trail. They sucked. They suck even more in muddy conditions haha but that's obvious as they are not designed for that type of terrain.