Thread: Yeti Testride?

mtbr member

Yeti Testride?

Does anyone in the Metro DC area have an AS-R 5 that they'd be willing to let me throw a leg over? I am trying to decide between a TR and an AS-R 5 and want to compare how they feel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    TR? As in Transition?

As a Yeti fan and ASR5 owner, I wouldn't go with it personally. Not that it's not a good frame and I love mine a ton, but Yeti has discontinued it along with all of their other 26" models in favor of going down the 650b route. I would hold out a little longer for an SB66 frame since there should be some pretty sweet deals on those coming out soon...or if you have the cash, go with a 575 (now it's a 650b model) or SB75.

Plus, unless you are planning on running a 120mm fork for the ASR5, the landscape for tapered 140mm forks is looking slimmer each day.

Edit: Sorry, meant to add that I usually ride the VA side trails during the week if you want to see how the ASR5 feels. Although given the current weather, not sure when I will be out next. Will try to remember to post up here if you want to join a ride.

mtbr member
    TR as in Santa Cruz Blur TR. And I am looking for a light, short travel trail bike to compliment my bigger/burlier bike (140mm soon to be 160mm). I would be putting a 120mm fork on it. I also have an entire 26" build basically waiting for a frame, so its between the Yeti and the Santa Cruz.

I feel you on the current weather, maybe next week/weekend. What size do you ride?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I ride an L (w/140mm fork) and I'm ~6ft tall. I'm hoping to get out next week, but it'll all depend on the freeze/thaw situation.

Either of those frames you'd enjoy I'm sure. Just unfortunate that Yeti has discontinued/altered a lot of their classic lines. But I guess the whole industry is hell bent on going towards 650b.

mtbr member
    Yea, they don't seem to be alone in the migration to 650b.

mtbr member
    To anyone reading this, I am still looking to test ride one of these guys. I am also interested in buying, so contact me if you know of one FS.

mtbr member
    Are you looking for a whole bike or just the frame? I am pretty sure a friend has an AR5 sitting since he got the SB95.

mtbr member
    Ideally just the frame.