Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    i ride a bicycle

Good job! Wythe/Bland/Mercer Counties

Alotta good stuff going on in this area
    Mercer County Wva:Group rides on Tuesdays and Thursdays evenings Call Buzz 304-327-9680 all skill levels

Wytheville Va area:Group ride at Henry Hollow near Speedwell on Thursday evenings /not for beginners

We have started clearing Walker Mountan trail ,running West along the top of Walker mtn between Bland and Wythe counties.This is old AT trail that was moved .12.3 miles long/approved for MTB.It then drops down to Crawfish trail ,a loop that is 10 miles long.These trails are there /just need cleared and ridden ! The store owners at the top of WM are interested in helping clear/support any events etc..Let me know if anyone can help.

National Forest will be starting on the Wolf Creek trail system in Bland County this spring.Up to 63 miles over the next couple of years
    GET OUT AND RIDE !

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Sounds great. Nothing like a good ride in the Jeff / GW National Forests.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    So the scene is promising in the 81-77 area?!

I know the hills are rugged down that way. I would be down for helping clear some trail on a weekend. I have 2 chainsaws and have ordered a Dakine Builders pack (to carry a saw)

post up when work is gonna get done!

i ride a bicycle
    We worked on Walker Mtn Trail again yesterday and it is coming along nice.We r about 1.5 miles in .
    THIS SUNDAY 1 to 5 ish WE ARE HOPING TO HAVE TWO CREWS ON IT ,IF ANYONE INTERESTED PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
    Last edited by mtbbc; 10-04-2010 at 05:25 AM.

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Our area is really gonna turn some heads! We have been un-used for years-but have a large amont of trails to re-open! If you are in the region-please help if you can-just think-uncrowded trails-most are just min. from I77
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

i ride a bicycle
    This Sunday 10/10/10 We will again be working on Walker Mtn Trail 1 till 6.
    Six of us made good progress last week.Meeting at top of Big Walker Mtn,at the store.
    This is over 25 miles of trails that just need cleaned up.We will ride in to starting point Sunday. thanks

i ride a bicycle
    Walker Mountain Trail update:
    After working on this sunday we rode out and back ,not bad,not bad at all!
    2.5 miles in so far ,not as steep or as long of climbs as 7sisters but more technical/rocky.
    I ll try to get pix posted soon

With hunting season and kids bball starting i ll be slowing down on this ,but anyone interested let me know.
    Last edited by mtbbc; 10-12-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Road Warrior

Trail Work

Rode the trail Wed. Great trail. Was wondering who was working on it. Took a couple of mo's off work to get some things done and work on trails. Would love to help. I live about 35 mins away. RoadWarriorXTR@hotmail.com

Road Warrior

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD WARRIOR
    Cool pics. Looks like this will be another classic back country national forest ride.

Are there a lot of those shark tooth rocks up there?

Road Warrior

Rocks

It's Virginia mountain top riding, rocks of all kinds. Not too many of the shark tooth type, just enough to keep you awake. Been adjusting on my new SJ Pro Carbon all day. Now ready to see if all my adj. are right.
    Riding North Fork Mtn up by Seneca Rocks tomarrow, Rode there 2 weeks ago and on 2004 SJ so will get a nice comparson.

Road Warrior

Dialed in

Bike';s ready now, Eats rocks for breakfast, now will have to find some boulders to play on.

i ride a bicycle
    Work day at Walker Mtn Trail this Saturday 10/23 12 ish till ??
    this Sunday 10/24 1 till 6
    Mainly raking,pulling small brush and remarking old trail to stay on corse.We have marked ahead about 3/4 mile ,gonna be SWEET !

Thanks to Road Warrior for pix and help on trail. And we got a fun ride out in th dark !!

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Gonna try to make one of those days! Was thinking of riding Crawdad backwards and checking out the far end of this one. May do and bushwack up to yall!
    Or maybe just come help-not sure...

Road Warrior
    Might be some serious brushwacking. There is nothing of the orginal trail left. Would be nice to know what we are getting into though. So far looks to be an awesome advanced level ride.

i ride a bicycle
    ?????
    We r on the old AT ,the leaves are the main problem ,but once raked back it s there and a good base.Moving along nicely. I like some bushwackin,ol wait that was brushwackin ,my bad !

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Hey,talk it over among those who are doing the most work-but i can offer a B.O.B. trailer at cost +(shipping & tax) I used one for years-sold it when i went 29er(wouldnt fit) now they do a 29er model. I only ask that it is a group buy-and will be used for Bland Co. trails only(or up here if we need y'all someday) I was able to carry a chainsaw/fuel/mattock/rake/water/food/brush clippers-on any trail. Round Mtn.-we cut out the deadfalls back in the early 90's with one-so i know they can handle Bland co...LOL
    Just pm me if serious and i will give a price(still not cheap) and we can have it here in 4days.
    Thanks for all the work-see y'all sometime this weekend!
    Bz

Road Warrior

Smile Walker Mtn Tr. update

Now have 3.1 miles of trail open.
    Took awhile working through the the big rock garden, but its now ridable, with optional lines.
    Had a leaf blower and chain saw up there Sunday so trail is completely free of leaves.
    Also have some interesting log crossings. First mile of the trail is pretty tough, but after that you get rewarded with some flowing single-track, then the rock garden, then some more flowing single-track. You get the idea, classic Va. mountain top riding. Come out and ride or work (tools are out there). Really needs to be ridden to get the tread packed down.
    Pumpkin ice cream at the Big Walker Country Store makes a great after ride treat.
    New pictures-
    http://picasaweb.google.com/RoadWarr...23WalkerMtnTr#

i ride a bicycle
    We also had a scout check out the Crawfish entrance at the far end. We re gonna have a nice trail back open ! Thanks to all who have helped out so far .

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Sun. 10/31 going to ride the finished part-put on boots and bushwack the rest-will mark with yellow tape on the 100 yard. Will be starting at 10:30/10:45-leaving my shop at 10am.
    If you want in-will be 6+ total ride-12+ total bushwack. Bring a pack-boots-food,water-extra clothes and a light. I will be moving fast-so if you are not up to it,you will have to go back solo. I want to meet up where i was last Sun. Will be a hoot!

Road Warrior

Sounds good

Walk 12 miles??? That's why I have a bike. I will probably see you Sun. Will work on the trail. I also have tape and flags if you need anything. Rode the finished part with Mtbbc Tues. It rocks

i ride a bicycle
    Buzz / RW
    I gotta miss this one ,but i ll be back on it soon ! It rides even better than i hoped for !!

i ride a bicycle
    Hey guys: I think the blue/marker flags are off the trail,3 of us looked at it yesterday and all agree.Dont know if someone else moved them or not but we need to BE SURE we stay on original / existing trail. clean up ,not new .This is very important.We need to get together on this before we proceed. Also if anyone see s hiker/raker/Bill tell him to wait on us to be sure of final trail marking .
    Thx

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    I did'nt make it out Sun.-over did a nite ride,back said no ride. How much farther did it go off the AT?

mtbr member
    Todd, will this trail be opened by Christmas? I am coming down that week. Are you ready to give a guided tour

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast