Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Woodstock section of Patapsco trail head?

I have been on several online maps and multiple Google searches trying to map out my next adventure. I would like to find the abandoned town of Daniels and wanted to start in Woodstock MD on the lesser traveled Patapsco trail network. I have read that I should either park at the Woodstock Inn or the continue up Old Court road and park at the church. I really just need someone to tell me where I can find the trail head and park somewhere I won't get towed.
    One Gear Under God

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    When do you plan on going out? I wouldn't mind tagging along for some exploration.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well, the ride was planned for Tuesday, but it was just too hot, got pushed off every day until today, and still figured it was too hot. If it was a shorter ride that would be o.k., but I am pretty much planning on getting lost and finding my way (6hr ride??). I am thinking about tomorrow, but seriously..I hate this weather. I (we) cant catch a break, either its too rainy or too hot. So I am pushing it off for now and am trying to get a group together for Gambrill since its supposed to be a rainy (but cooler) weekend.
    One Gear Under God

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'd love to tag along for Daniels. I've ridden McKeldin to the thru trail but didn't continue further.

I can also do weekday rides as I set my own schedule.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Alberto and TonyB..Looks like we need to plan a group ride. I am guessing that we park on the south side of the bridge near the Woodstock Inn, cross the bridge and the trail head will be on the left. I did a Google street view inch by inch an that seems to be it (Gas is expensive). Alberto..you mentioned the McKeldin thru trail, did you cross the stream/river to get to it? From the maps it looks like the crossing is at the North End of the Switchback trail before it turns into a footpath..Also guys I will be riding a Single Speed so take that into account when thinking about pace.
    One Gear Under God

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yes it's a large stream crossing at the end of where two trails meet. Once you cross it's very wide double track most of the way to the thru trail. Let me know I'm down to go explore.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Roger that, I'm down for a group ride. I can only do short loops during the week but I can devote most of a day on a weekend.Let me know when you're thinking and I'll put it on my calendar.

mtbr member
    I am down with a ride as well if I am welcome to join

Eddie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Ti View Post
    Alberto and TonyB..Looks like we need to plan a group ride. I am guessing that we park on the south side of the bridge near the Woodstock Inn, cross the bridge and the trail head will be on the left. I did a Google street view inch by inch an that seems to be it (Gas is expensive). Alberto..you mentioned the McKeldin thru trail, did you cross the stream/river to get to it? From the maps it looks like the crossing is at the North End of the Switchback trail before it turns into a footpath..Also guys I will be riding a Single Speed so take that into account when thinking about pace.
    This is correct, the trailhead is on the left when you cross the bridge. The loop you will be on is part of the recently completed Patapsco 100 race course
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thursday or Friday the high is low 80's. We could start early and just ride until we want to turn around.

No worries on the pace, I'm out to explore, take pics (at Daniels) and just have fun.

What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Sounds good to me I have looking into the history of that town and its very interesting. And exploring in the wood looking for an abandoned town on a bike, it don't get much better than that. I am off Friday through next Monday so hopefully we can get together and do this.

Eddie

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You guys good for Friday?

Unless something really unexpected pops up at work Im pretty free tomorrow and Friday.

mtbr member
    I am good off work all day. Just a heads up I am not a pro MTB Guy. I am in good shape and can ride all day just have not gotten the hopping over huge logs and really rocky rooty hill climbs. I dont think i will hold anyone up but just wanted to give you heads up just in case you were planing to be all out hard core. I dont want to be the guy everyone had to wait for

Eddie

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Dang, I can't do weekdays. Have fun guys. Be sure to track the trip so I can hit the trails on the weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    How about Saturday afternoon? I have a friend that can join us then. The more the better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Saturday may work for me, I hadn't read this post in a few days and was trying to get a group of friends together for Schaeffer farm on Saturday (It will probably fall through). I was good to go for tomorrow, but now am working . I really want to get this ride in before the heat and storms return.
    One Gear Under God

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Lets do Saturday guys.

mtbr member
    Saturday works for me just let me know where and when.
    Eddie

2011 Trek GF Rig SS
    2003 Gary Fisher Paragon 29
    2001 Giant XTC SE 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just to be safe we can just meet at McKeldin in the top lot right thru the pay booth. Then we bomb down that hill, hit the larger stream crossing and keep going down into the upper thru trail. We explore from there. 2pm?

mtbr member
    Sounds good to me and I assume you mean McKeldin Recreation Area right off Marriottsville road correct. I have never been there but I just looked it up.
    Eddie

2011 Trek GF Rig SS
    2001 Giant XTC SE 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Correct

EDIT-had my weekends mixed up, I can't ride at McKeldin and explore tomorrow. I have plans tomorrow evening that will be a time constraint for this. Mid week on I can schedule a weekday ride, or for those interested do it next weekend.
    Last edited by _Alberto_; 07-26-2013 at 11:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Are we on today for 2 I see Alberto cant

Eddie
    Eddie

2011 Trek GF Rig SS
    2001 Giant XTC SE 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Check out openstreetmap.com, zoom in to the area and youll see the trails are mapped there. Also check out more-Mtb.org. Search the forums for Patapsco 100 thread. I posted a map of the area specifically outlining the p100 course but all the other trails are there. The area is really fun to explore and lots of fun single track. The P100 crosses straight through the river (fording) it gets about mid-thigh deep. It's also very hilly so keep that in mind when planning. There are water fountains at McKeldin and also at the Pickall and Hollofield areas. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Also note that the P100 course was specifically designed to be challenging, ie when I ride out there I typically don't follow the course. So I don't necessarily recommend following the course but thought the maps would be handy. I def recommend printing out the map

mtbr member
    Did this ride ever happen I really would love to do it. I am heading up that way today but not sure where I am going to ride yet depends on how sloppy the trails are up that way
    Eddie

2011 Trek GF Rig SS
    2001 Giant XTC SE 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast